Unique Melody Flagships--Mason & Mentor Announcement and Impression Thread
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #63 of 377
Just a general comment which could probably be applicable to some other recent releases with a hefty price tag. I think manufacturers do listen to voices of their customers (many of whom are Head-fiers) and also release more affordable models, still, with a cool tech inside. But at the same time, they see demand from a handful of wealthy audiophiles (or those who just want to have bragging rights) and seize on the opportunity to sell in a limited release quantity. And I also suspect that a number of people who clicked on this thread and read about these iems and their pricing and others saying "you are nuts, why spend so much money when you can buy Mest MKII or Indigo at a fraction of the price", they will go and buy those instead. So, I think it's a brilliant marketing, a few will spend $8k, and a lot more will spend $1.5k-$2.5k.
Technically there is nothing wrong with this, I agree, it’s brilliant marketing. But I feel the question is more if one should applaud for techniques to get the last drop of milk out of the cow?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #64 of 377
At least SQ is leaps and bounds better than 15 years ago. I still have my first westone UM3X back in 2007 and i thought nothing can get better than that. Lol. And i don't want to know what traillii mk2 going to cost!
Haha, I still have Shure E4c from the same time frame and IEMs have come a long way!

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #65 of 377
Well, I don't think there should be any remorse about FS owners, cause RH and FS are different enough in sound to let us release two models. The RH does have advantages in technical performance, but it might not 100% suits your performance, if you love how FS sounds.
Another thing is we will farewell to FS when the limited stocks run out. Nothing in the world will sound like FS. No more materials to let us paint them in blue.

How many Mason FS’s were built? I know the first batch of 20 (I have #4) were the SE edition, but after the first batch?

It’s not that the FS SE was superseded by the new models, it was its depreciation in dollar value that stung when it went on sale over the holidays for $4K, and now with the new release, it will sink in value further. I had never bought such an expensive iem before. Anyway, I do love my FS and it will be with me for a very long time. ✌️

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #67 of 377
I am a solid UM fan, I love the visual of these sets, but I will hard pass on it. The price tag with such cable is too much. Moreover, as it has been written here, how often UM is releasing "flagships"
Rather than FE, I would have preferred a "without cable" version, when you get to this price, people have their preferred cables anyway. (I guess?)

I will wait to read if I am wrong and that they are a total revolution or just a Red marketing ops.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #68 of 377
After I win the Lottery...

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #69 of 377
I’m sure there are already a lot of pre-orders in from the HK market because of the upcoming Chinese New Year, the timing of these are not coincidental.
I’m with you on this… will be sold out quick if not already. :)

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #72 of 377
I’m sure there are already a lot of pre-orders in from the HK market because of the upcoming Chinese New Year, the timing of these are not coincidental.
1.jpg

yeah sold out to MT, and seem 1 RH already sold :upside_down:

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #73 of 377
@UniqueMelody Will we see this new version of bcd implemented into a DD/BA/EST model and at a lower price point?

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #75 of 377
33% more expensive than Susvara..... well I'm not sure what kind of world we're living in now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back