Unique Melody Flagships--Mason & Mentor Announcement and Impression Thread
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #376 of 377
[cross post from https://www.head-fi.org/threads/evo...eries—mason-nuit-Étoilée-soleil-tombé.971503/]

Big shout out to @Uncle Wilson of Jaben Singapore for sending me the demo unit of the Mason FS Soleil Tombe, before I would be unavailable for a month or so. Very kind of him.

I do not think unboxing photos have been shared as yet. Hence, I am sharing them below. :)

Well, I shall have this gorgeous pair for a couple of days before I send them back to Jaben Singapore.

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #377 of 377
[ cross post from the UM Soleil Tombe thread]

So I have had some time with the Soleil Tombe. I basically listened first on the Sony 1ZM2, and then the Shanling M9+ and the LP6Gold.

I have not been following the Mason FS range since the Fusang from a few years ago. Reason is simple. Because I am very happy with the Fusang. I tend to describe the Mason FS range as being slightly "cerebral" where the nuances and delicate balance of the range tends to come to the fore. It does very well for vocals or mids centric music.

So, when I put on the Soleil Tombe, I was surprised by how much there has been uplifting of the Mason FS range since the Fusang. Whilst it was certainly a very nice listen on the 1ZM2, it scaled up with the M9+ and especially the LP6 Gold. This pair of IEM will scale up with the chain for sure!

What I did say to @Uncle Wilson at Jaben SG, who had sent me this pair for my impressions, is that it the new UM BCD technology and its implementation was stellar! There is much greater note weight, greater impact and excellent density. In fact, when I was listening to Chinese ACG off either QQ Music or Apple Music, there were many parts where I thought I was listening to a full sized headphone, and an excellent pair at that. I also enjoyed the fact that the soundstage was very large and the spatial cues were correct.

I will confess that I also enjoyed the cable that UM worked with PWA to improve upon the FTS into the FTS Pro for the Soleil Tombe. I know that some retailers will offer a discount for the Soleil Tombe. However, I am not sure that the discount would cover the cost of a cable of this quality. And which was developed especially to be paired with the Soleil Tombe.

The Soleil Tombe will go back to Jaben Singapore on tomorrow, being Friday afternoon. But the memory of the great work that has been done by the UM team will linger for quite while longer in my mind, I suspect. :)

IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3795.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back