Unique Melody Flagships--Mason & Mentor Announcement and Impression Thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #91 of 377
Another sign of companies know they can just throw a price out there and see what sticks. Might as well try while there's still flood of liquidity out there. The way things are going in China and with the US stock market has been last week and if it holds as a downtrend then this might be the last chance to ask for things with ridiculous asking price like this. For now, still plenty of people with more money than sense, this will change rapidly if we go through another major downturn again and I doubt we will see companies like this putting out slight upgrade on products and asking 20-30% more each time in such short time.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #92 of 377
To each his own, but just wondering why some people spend so much money on expensive "chifi" IEMs that does not offer tangible benefits? Stuffing more drivers into a plastic shell is not an advancement in tech or R&D. It's just "tuning" with off the shelf drivers for the most most part. The popular Tribrid/quadbrid, or soon to be penta, hexa, hepta, octa, ennea, deca....... driver configuration is just a gimmick or a fad. Large companies that actually spend years in product development or allot meaningful budget in R&D do wonderful things with far less driver count, e.g. 3 in IER-Z1R ,5 in M9, or even one in IE900, and for far less money, well relatively speaking.

Do people think Sony engineers are less capable and can't figure out a way to stuff 20 drivers in a shell? If it would "blow your mind away" like headfiers would often say to anything new, i'm sure Sony or Sennheiser engineers would've headed that route by now.

"Sadly, the axiom that more is better is becoming the only yardstick."

Just thinking out loud as I'm sipping on my drink and listening to some fine tunes.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #93 of 377
Artificial scarcity. It makes the item feel 'exclusive' and 'limited' so that people will use that to justify the ludicrous price. Luxury brands do this type of stuff all the time. Main difference is that luxury bags/clothing/watches don't go on sale for 50% in a few months after release, nor do they become outdated so quickly.

Looks like UM found Patek's playbook with the Nautilus, with the way they are asking so much more in each iteration of their flagship, no doubt it will catch up to the Nautilus soon enough, all they need is couple of big influencers to shill their product to create that perfect price bubble.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #94 of 377
Just got email from Musictek that buying those will get free HiBy RS6 or Paw 6000
…which basically shows the sheer amount of profit margin behind these earphones!

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #95 of 377
I bought all my powerlifting equipment, including a power rack, barbells, plates and weight benches for less than one pair of IEMs. My first car was less money. Our big screen TV is less money. This pricing is getting crazy.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #96 of 377
Looks like UM found Patek's playbook with the Nautilus, with the way they are asking so much more in each iteration of their flagship, no doubt it will catch up to the Nautilus soon enough, all they need is couple of big influencers to shill their product to create that perfect price bubble.
Correction. Patek is not behind the crazy pricing surrounding the Nautilus hype (btw the Nautilus is not PP's flagship, not even close). Neither is Rolex behind the same crazy pricing on the Daytona or GMT with special bezels. Due to the low numbers produced, especially during the Covid induced strain on the global supply chain, that come nowhere close to meeting global demands, boutiques are requiring buyers of these highly sought after pieces, namely the Nautilus and Aquanaut, to make accompanying purchases of double/triple the price on lets just say -- harder to sell -- models! It is the same game that negociants do with en primeur First Growths and Hermes with their Birkins and Kellys! Mind you, even if you agreed, you'd still have to join the queue and wait a year or more to get your watch! With such opportunities, you'll see more and more of these marques showing up in the secondary market at stratospheric take-it-or-leave-it price tags. Thing is, you wouldn't see any downward adjustments on these time pieces -- as far as Pateks and Rolexes go, they are as good as cash anywhere you go.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #97 of 377
1642921898991.png
1642922106137.png

Left: Mason FS Right: Mason RH
From the vibration frequency response, the new dBC driver does seem to perform visibly better in the bass region (100μN vs 175μN @250Hz), if the measurement method is the same. In that case the claim of significant improvements of bone conduction in bass can indeed be backed up by measurements.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #98 of 377
So is UM a luxury brand? :)

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #100 of 377
Jan 23, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #104 of 377
Because US products:
  1. Are also expensive.
  2. Have a price to performance ratio that is usually worse.
  3. IMO they sound worse for the same price.
This only applies to American vs. Chinese. But for these particular product, I'm sure we can wait a year and they will release a better product for cheaper just like they did with the Indigo and the MEXT.
Campfire Audio? Periodic Audio? Grasp? Not sure the $6k Chinese sound any better than good to great American iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back