Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,056 of 7,306
I’m happy to see someone still choosing to go for the OG, plus taking advantage of the discount. Hopefully the Mk.II is everything that we are hoping for and more, but it doesn’t take away anything from how good the OG MEST is. Fortunately, I have no fit issues at all with the OG.
Really looking forward to seeing a review by @antdroid of the MKII. He has reviewed most of the variants of the MEST and has evaluated them individually. If he reviews these favorably, I might consider getting a custom MKII sometime in the future if that would really engage the bone conduction driver to its fullest extent.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,057 of 7,306
Really looking forward to seeing a review by @antdroid of the MKII. He has reviewed most of the variants of the MEST and has evaluated them individually. If he reviews these favorably, I might consider getting a custom MKII sometime in the future if that would really engage the bone conduction driver to its fullest extent.
Second to you! I found his review quality is very high and his wow taste is very close to mine.
I would like to see how high (in y-axis) does Mest mkii perform on his charts
49D74146-2009-4244-AE77-08FC336F4044.png

Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/antdroids-in-ear-monitor-ranking-list/9847

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #2,058 of 7,306
I ask you one last little advice ... to those who have tried them both, between MEST and Andromeda 2020 which one to prefer?

Andromeda 2020 would also cost me a little less.
Precog just released a video shoot out today that might be helpful. It doesn't include the MEST, but it does have the Andro 2020 and he did a review of the MEST that you can look at too.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,059 of 7,306
Yeah, of course, how could I miss him. His mkii will be on the way next week.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,060 of 7,306
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #2,061 of 7,306
@antdroid If you read this, it might be helpful for you to highlight the dividing line in your plot. Anything above the line is worth what you pay for it. Anything below is over priced.

That's an interesting thought. This chart is a little out of date, and the real-time one is on the 2nd tab in the link on signature, however Google Sheets - I can't figure out how to make labels show up correctly. I'll have to spit out a new version of this chart in Excel soon.

Personally, if you get a B or above, I think it's pretty solid. That equates to 12+. I also have a price:performance ratio for the budget conscious too in the full ranking list.

I'm pretty excited to try out the Mest Mk2! I like the new look and the form-factor. One of the small issues I did have with the original universal was the shell size, so the new smaller profile will probably help that a lot.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,062 of 7,306
That's an interesting thought. This chart is a little out of date, and the real-time one is on the 2nd tab in the link on signature, however Google Sheets - I can't figure out how to make labels show up correctly. I'll have to spit out a new version of this chart in Excel soon.

Personally, if you get a B or above, I think it's pretty solid. That equates to 12+. I also have a price:performance ratio for the budget conscious too in the full ranking list.

I'm pretty excited to try out the Mest Mk2! I like the new look and the form-factor. One of the small issues I did have with the original universal was the shell size, so the new smaller profile will probably help that a lot.
I would imagine the worth-the-value curve be some type of natural logarithm like below, the higher the price, the lower the rate of performance.
BA023397-A1CD-4E0F-9B8C-7FCF471B5989.jpeg

anything above the line, are proven best value-to-money, anything below the line to be “fancy luxury game” for rich guys

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,063 of 7,306
I would imagine the worth-the-value curve be some type of natural logarithm like below, the higher the price, the lower the rate of performance.
AKA “diminishing returns”

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,064 of 7,306

anything above the line, are proven best value-to-money, anything below the line to be “fancy luxury game” for rich guys

the graph is already in log scale though in the price axis. I will have to plot my value scores and see what that looks like someday. Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, but I like the suggestion.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #2,065 of 7,306
I recently bought a Mest from the trades here and love it! Its by far the most I’ve ever spent on an IEM but was totally worth it to me.
Currently trying xelastic tips as I try to zero in on the best option, what are you folks finding to be the best tips to use??

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,066 of 7,306
I recently bought a Mest from the trades here and love it! Its by far the most I’ve ever spent on an IEM but was totally worth it to me.
Currently trying xelastic tips as I try to zero in on the best option, what are you folks finding to be the best tips to use??
Like you, after trying a fair few options, xelastec gave the best results. Was having some real difficulty with fit until I tried one size larger than usual and *magic* they fit very happily.
We should start swapping albums in here soon "This one sounds AMAZING on Mest!"

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,067 of 7,306
I just pulled the trigger for the Mk ii... But I do not think those who recently ordered the Mk i should have any buyer's remorse. Look at it as getting the Mk ii for a 25-40% discount, and losing just a tiny bit of that BC and size difference. Sonically, if you're unhappy with the Mk I, you wouldn't be happy with the Mk ii either... :ksc75smile:

(Edit: some complaints about my math ah well.. ok 25% discount to 40% depending on whether u buy them new ya)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,068 of 7,306
I just pulled the trigger for the Mk ii... But I do not think those who recently ordered the Mk i should have any buyer's remorse. Look at it as getting the Mk ii for a 40% discount, and losing just a tiny bit of that BC and size difference. Sonically, if you're unhappy with the Mk I, you wouldn't be happy with the Mk ii either... :ksc75smile:
Sorry but what do you means by 40% discount ?
Mark 2 is $1500 and Mark 1 is $1189, so that's more like 20%
Am I missing something??

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,069 of 7,306
I just pulled the trigger for the Mk ii... But I do not think those who recently ordered the Mk i should have any buyer's remorse. Look at it as getting the Mk ii for a 40% discount, and losing just a tiny bit of that BC and size difference. Sonically, if you're unhappy with the Mk I, you wouldn't be happy with the Mk ii either... :ksc75smile:
Resale prices for MKI have dropped below $1000. Probably in part due to introduction of MKII

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2,070 of 7,306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back