Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Dec 7, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,306 of 7,365
Hey Sebastien, nice seeing you on this thread :)

I actually tried the Solaris 2020 last week and compared to MEST. The Solaris 2020 is not as diffuse and "crisp" as the OG, but I think tonally it's an overall improvement, at the expense of technicalities. It's hard to say which is better from memory (owned OG until February 2020, and a 10 min test of Solaris 2020).

Now compared to the MEST, I think the UM is the superior iem on immediate listen, but the Solaris 2020 is a more smooth and warm iem with a more forgiving nature and richer midbass. Where the solaris wins is older/ poorer recordings, male vocals and perhaps a more consistent imaging.

MEST to me has it beat in holography, air, slam, transparency and dynamics. Tonally, Solaris is better, but with the right tips and source, MEST is right up there too.

For you to discover!

I would agree with a lot of what you say here. Let me start by saying that I LOVE the MEST-- It's been in my ears for days straight. Out of the IEMs I've owned the MEST overall sound combines elements of the Z1r, Solaris and Anole VX, along with some secret sauce of its own. There is definitely a portion of my collection where it just blows the Solaris out of the water (yes I can admit that) however for me personally it's a little too v-shaped for my liking as a single all-rounder IEM. For every track that the MEST flexes its strength there is another where I appreciate the Solaris' more organic sounding and forward midrange. I if I were to walk into a store and demo the two IEMs cold there is a good chance I'd probably leave with the MEST over the Solaris however having had the Solaris for the better part of two years (and having come back to it on one occasion) my own opinion is that its sheer versatility as an "all rounder" is hard to beat and for my tastes I would personally edge it slightly over the MEST. That being said I can imagine there are many for whom the MEST is unquestionably the better choice...so, like so many other things, it's a YMMV situation.

I would also agree that sources/tips do come into play. Out of my gear the Solaris sounds best with Spiral ++ tips through the PAW S1 (whose blacker background and reduced glare bring Solaris' overall technicalities much closer to that of the MEST), and the MEST through my n6ii with OG Sedna tips. Comparing them head to head like this (with each at their best) it's a lot harder for me to pick a favorite.

Thank you guys for this! I appreciate it and it's a great preface for me. Paid for overnight shipping since I couldn't wait LOL.

How is the fit vs the Solaris generally speaking? The Solaris fits me comfortably for the most part with the exception of the longer ends of the shell.

I'm luckily a part of big ear gang, so haven't has as many fit issues as many. If the MEST seals deeper and is more comfortable, that will be a huge win as well.

I'll drop honeymoon stage impressions tomorrow night after a few hours with them!

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #1,307 of 7,365
Thank you guys for this! I appreciate it and it's a great preface for me. Paid for overnight shipping since I couldn't wait LOL.

How is the fit vs the Solaris generally speaking? The Solaris fits me comfortably for the most part with the exception of the longer ends of the shell.

I'm luckily a part of big ear gang, so haven't has as many fit issues as many. If the MEST seals deeper and is more comfortable, that will be a huge win as well.

I'll drop honeymoon stage impressions tomorrow night after a few hours with them!

I've never had fit issues with either so no comment from me there. The MEST can at times be weirdly fatiguing for me in my inner ear after some time has past...I'm not sure if this is my bones being conducted or what.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,308 of 7,365
I've never had fit issues with either so no comment from me there. The MEST can at times be weirdly fatiguing for me in my inner ear after some time has past...I'm not sure if this is my bones being conducted or what.

Awesome, that's great to hear coming from ya. Thanks for the tip recommendations too.

I look forward to having my bones conducted:floatsmile:

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,309 of 7,365
I would agree with a lot of what you say here. Let me start by saying that I LOVE the MEST-- It's been in my ears for days straight. Out of the IEMs I've owned the MEST overall sound combines elements of the Z1r, Solaris and Anole VX, along with some secret sauce of its own. There is definitely a portion of my collection where it just blows the Solaris out of the water (yes I can admit that) however for me personally it's a little too v-shaped for my liking as a single all-rounder IEM. For every track that the MEST flexes its strength there is another where I appreciate the Solaris' more organic sounding and forward midrange. I if I were to walk into a store and demo the two IEMs cold there is a good chance I'd probably leave with the MEST over the Solaris however having had the Solaris for the better part of two years (and having come back to it on one occasion) my own opinion is that its sheer versatility as an "all rounder" is hard to beat and for my tastes I would personally edge it slightly over the MEST. That being said I can imagine there are many for whom the MEST is unquestionably the better choice...so, like so many other things, it's a YMMV situation.

I would also agree that sources/tips do come into play. Out of my gear the Solaris sounds best with Spiral ++ tips through the PAW S1 (whose blacker background and reduced glare bring Solaris' overall technicalities much closer to that of the MEST), and the MEST through my n6ii with OG Sedna tips. Comparing them head to head like this (with each at their best) it's a lot harder for me to pick a favorite.
how many different tips have you tried with MEST? i never heard solaris, but will say i was quite disappointed with MEST's mids when I was using sedna brand tips. but final audio and especially spin fit c100 in small size have shown me MEST has much more mid than i thought previous. to my ears spin fits dull extreme highs/detail and make bass a tiny bit too much, but mids are big. i prefered these negative over weak mids of sednas. but so far final audio is best balance to me, tho less mid than spin fit. thank you @IEMusic for telling me to get the final tips :)

my mind gets blown by how much tips effect sig with MEST. never in my life i've seen this much difference from tips.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #1,311 of 7,365
Overnighted the MEST from Andrew and the team at @MusicTeck ~ incredible service all around.

Safe to say, if I was supposed to limit describing the MEST one word...it would be euphoria.

More impressions to come as soon as I can better put things into words.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #1,312 of 7,365
Spot on! I gather there has been some worry about the "shrink wrap" splitter appearing or being cheap, but as @redrol said in his video review, this material and configuration are actually pretty ideal. It does its immediate function while weighting down things as little as possible. My cable has seen daily, hours-long use, including being rolled over on top of in bed, and hung up on things due to my clumsiness, with no visible damage to any part. And the sound just gets better and better, to my tastes, over time.
Oh... NOOOOOO HOW DARE YOU ROLL YOUR BODY OVER A CABLE!!!!!?!?!?! 🤯🤯🤯🤯This is worst than Corona and can lead to death immediately with a 0% chance to live if the cable gets angry.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,315 of 7,365
Caved in. Haven't "upgraded" since I've had my Oriolus mk2 (~3yrs now?) -- speaks well as to how musical that beast is.

Hopefully, looking for something that will wow me in the female vocals airiness dept and soundstage.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,316 of 7,365
Caved in. Haven't "upgraded" since I've had my Oriolus mk2 (~3yrs now?) -- speaks well as to how musical that beast is.

Hopefully, looking for something that will wow me in the female vocals airiness dept and soundstage.

As much as I like the MEST, it's not replacing my Mk2. :) Mk2 has got sweeter vocal tonality for my collection. Depending on the vocal range ymmv. Enjoy the ride :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,317 of 7,365
As much as I like the MEST, it's not replacing my Mk2. :) Mk2 has got sweeter vocal tonality for my collection. Depending on the vocal range ymmv. Enjoy the ride :)

That's reassuring, coz that's my dessert island main! They should compliment each other then 🙂

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,318 of 7,365
That's reassuring, coz that's my dessert island main! They should compliment each other then 🙂

Yep, especially with the carbon fiber shell, I'd be a lot more comfortable using MEST as my daily beater on the go. Although, I haven't had the chance to go out with it yet... :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,319 of 7,365
I’ve done a little searching and the answer didn’t pop out at me...

Are the MEST connectors the same as QDC both in fit and polarity?

Same question on regular 2-pin cable polarity. I know the connection won’t be stable for on the go, but I would like to try some of my better cables on them. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,320 of 7,365
I’ve done a little searching and the answer didn’t pop out at me...

Are the MEST connectors the same as QDC both in fit and polarity?

Same question on regular 2-pin cable polarity. I know the connection won’t be stable for on the go, but I would like to try some of my better cables on them. Thanks!
The MEST has a “qdc”- like socket, but the polarity is actually like a traditional 2 pin socket, if I’m not mistaken. There is no problem at all using traditional 2 pin cables on the MEST, it just won’t look as aesthetically pleasing, though they often fit better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back