Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,293 of 7,365
I'm not sure how much this has been talked about but the stock cable on the MEST is tops. The texture, the weave, the jack, the whole aesthetic and build quality. I wouldn't feel any urge to upgrade it personally.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,294 of 7,365
Hi, for those of you that want to buy a Mest, I have one for sale. It is the best headphone I tried but unfortunately I need to pay some urgent bills. Thank you!

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,295 of 7,365
129837136_10164728131715654_3693471186164173553_o.jpg

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,296 of 7,365
I'm not sure how much this has been talked about but the stock cable on the MEST is tops. The texture, the weave, the jack, the whole aesthetic and build quality. I wouldn't feel any urge to upgrade it personally.

Spot on! I gather there has been some worry about the "shrink wrap" splitter appearing or being cheap, but as @redrol said in his video review, this material and configuration are actually pretty ideal. It does its immediate function while weighting down things as little as possible. My cable has seen daily, hours-long use, including being rolled over on top of in bed, and hung up on things due to my clumsiness, with no visible damage to any part. And the sound just gets better and better, to my tastes, over time.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,298 of 7,365
Well, for anyone who might be interested, I've just posted my review of the mini-MEST.
Frankly, it was a big surprise to me. I had good, but not great expectations. I like to write, but I'm no Charles Dickens after all :)
For me, it manages to bring everything I love about the MEST, along with a bit of added warmth and richness in the mids that - for my personal tastes - makes it close to perfect.
Anyway, read on for more, and perhaps think about getting your wallets ready :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mini-mest.24603/review/24871/

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,299 of 7,365
Popping in here to say that I have had a chance for some longer listening periods with the MEST Fri and Sat (and hopefully will today as well) and that they continue to impress despite a few quibbles. I'm thoroughly enjoying them with many different types of music, and I think I'm getting to really know their sound signature (though not as much as when owning gear for weeks or months of course).

I'm also noticing that they aren't hurting my ears like they did (with the same tips I settled on days ago: Final E large) which is just odd since you'd think the outer part of the ear can not conform or adapt much to objects shoved into it.

I did, however, have this same experience with my Blessing2's (which also need a deep fit) using some double flanged tips I settled on for them...over time the pain just disappeared. I hope that becomes the case here as well, but as of now it seems tolerable, and mostly just in one ear (my smaller right ear, just like with the Blessing2's); when I first started wearing the MEST with the Final E large, both ears hurt, and my right ear really hurt. Now my left ear seems painless, and with my right ear the pain isn't very noticeable.

I'm waiting on posting any more impressions on the MEST until I do some serious compare/contrasting, since that is when SQ pluses and minuses are really noticeable imo.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,300 of 7,365
Excited to have made the jump to the MEST this weekend. Thanks to Andrew at entire the entire team at @MusicTeck for the fantastic service so far.

The only downside is...I'm gonna have to decide between my Solaris OG and Andromeda Gold as far as which one to keep...

@PoSR77 ~ I would love to hear your thoughts on the Solaris 2020 and MEST (even briefly) so I can prepare myself for a baseline of what to expect with the OG vs MEST.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,301 of 7,365
Excited to have made the jump to the MEST this weekend. Thanks to Andrew at entire the entire team at @MusicTeck for the fantastic service so far.

The only downside is...I'm gonna have to decide between my Solaris OG and Andromeda Gold as far as which one to keep...

@PoSR77 ~ I would love to hear your thoughts on the Solaris 2020 and MEST (even briefly) so I can prepare myself for a baseline of what to expect with the OG vs MEST.
Hey Sebastien, nice seeing you on this thread :)

I actually tried the Solaris 2020 last week and compared to MEST. The Solaris 2020 is not as diffuse and "crisp" as the OG, but I think tonally it's an overall improvement, at the expense of technicalities. It's hard to say which is better from memory (owned OG until February 2020, and a 10 min test of Solaris 2020).

Now compared to the MEST, I think the UM is the superior iem on immediate listen, but the Solaris 2020 is a more smooth and warm iem with a more forgiving nature and richer midbass. Where the solaris wins is older/ poorer recordings, male vocals and perhaps a more consistent imaging.

MEST to me has it beat in holography, air, slam, transparency and dynamics. Tonally, Solaris is better, but with the right tips and source, MEST is right up there too.

For you to discover!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,302 of 7,365
MEST to me has it beat in holography, air, slam, transparency and dynamics. Tonally, Solaris is better, but with the right tips and source, MEST is right up there too.

I would agree with a lot of what you say here. Let me start by saying that I LOVE the MEST-- It's been in my ears for days straight. Out of the IEMs I've owned the MEST overall sound combines elements of the Z1r, Solaris and Anole VX, along with some secret sauce of its own. There is definitely a portion of my collection where it just blows the Solaris out of the water (yes I can admit that) however for me personally it's a little too v-shaped for my liking as a single all-rounder IEM. For every track that the MEST flexes its strength there is another where I appreciate the Solaris' more organic sounding and forward midrange. I if I were to walk into a store and demo the two IEMs cold there is a good chance I'd probably leave with the MEST over the Solaris however having had the Solaris for the better part of two years (and having come back to it on one occasion) my own opinion is that its sheer versatility as an "all rounder" is hard to beat and for my tastes I would personally edge it slightly over the MEST. That being said I can imagine there are many for whom the MEST is unquestionably the better choice...so, like so many other things, it's a YMMV situation.

I would also agree that sources/tips do come into play. Out of my gear the Solaris sounds best with Spiral ++ tips through the PAW S1 (whose blacker background and reduced glare bring Solaris' overall technicalities much closer to that of the MEST), and the MEST through my n6ii with OG Sedna tips. Comparing them head to head like this (with each at their best) it's a lot harder for me to pick a favorite.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,303 of 7,365
I would agree with a lot of what you say here. Let me start by saying that I LOVE the MEST-- It's been in my ears for days straight. Out of the IEMs I've owned the MEST overall sound combines elements of the Z1r, Solaris and Anole VX, along with some secret sauce of its own. There is definitely a portion of my collection where it just blows the Solaris out of the water (yes I can admit that) however for me personally it's a little too v-shaped for my liking as a single all-rounder IEM. For every track that the MEST flexes its strength there is another where I appreciate the Solaris' more organic sounding and forward midrange. I if I were to walk into a store and demo the two IEMs cold there is a good chance I'd probably leave with the MEST over the Solaris however having had the Solaris for the better part of two years (and having come back to it on one occasion) my own opinion is that its sheer versatility as an "all rounder" is hard to beat and for my tastes I would personally edge it slightly over the MEST. That being said I can imagine there are many for whom the MEST is unquestionably the better choice...so, like so many other things, it's a YMMV situation.

I would also agree that sources/tips do come into play. Out of my gear the Solaris sounds best with Spiral ++ tips through the PAW S1 (whose blacker background and reduced glare bring Solaris' overall technicalities much closer to that of the MEST), and the MEST through my n6ii with OG Sedna tips. Comparing them head to head like this (with each at their best) it's a lot harder for me to pick a favorite.
Do you think they are different enough to justify owning both? I think, in general, it makes sense to own a technical tour-de-force and own an organic and natural sounding IEM, for different genres and moods.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,304 of 7,365
Do you think they are different enough to justify owning both? I think, in general, it makes sense to own a technical tour-de-force and own an organic and natural sounding IEM, for different genres and moods.

Honestly this depends on you and your collection/musical tastes. My gut feeling is that the Solaris works best as a versatile "all rounder" and is ideal for someone like me who tends to have one main do-all IEM much of the time. The Solaris isn't really the best at any one thing but it's hard to find anything that does "everything" as well. The corollary of this is that if you're someone going for a collection where you have different IEMs with different individual strengths then the Solaris might be harder to place/justify in those circumstances....if that makes sense.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,305 of 7,365
As the former said, it depends on you and your tastes. I own both solaris and mest and the mest is better in literally every aspect to me. It’s not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back