Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,216 of 7,303
Just a heads up that I've listed my MEST at a fairly good price even after Musicteck's sale price if anyone is looking for one.
Can i ask the reason for your sale?

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #1,217 of 7,303
Can i ask the reason for your sale?
I decided to get Odin and take a break from audio gear mostly. Also just traded for a M4 demo model, but I messed up the grills and will have to bite the loss on that bullet.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #1,218 of 7,303
I see, at a time i'm interested in MEST too, but with all the talk with the mids sound a bit thin made me reconsider. Anyway GLWS :beerchug:

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #1,220 of 7,303
I’m assuming the mids sound thin because the BC driver delivers the remaining Mids, if not custom or touching your ear well enough the mids might be thin as a result. Just a theory.

This warrant proper demo. Alas i can't find one here in my country

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,221 of 7,303
I see, at a time i'm interested in MEST too, but with all the talk with the mids sound a bit thin made me reconsider. Anyway GLWS :beerchug:
FWIW, I don’t find the mids sounding thin at all. The upper mids are not pronounced, but they’re also not recessed. The lower mids are full sounding. If the MEST sounds thin at all, it’s likely the perception of such due to the very clear and extended treble.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,222 of 7,303
I got my Mest's today and I'm disappointed. The Mest are a bit bigger than my S8F, but not much and the fit is pretty good. So it's not the fit.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-27 um 16.32.42.png

The first thing was that I took my Xelastec's from my S8F and put it on the Mest's. Gee, that was an extrem awful experience. Although I had the feel of a perfect seal I had no bass at all and very shouty and unpleasant sound. The only tips to create a good sound for me are spinfit's CP145. They let you shove the Mest's deep into the ear canal. And this is apparently important. But after a while I can feel some pressure from that.

The S8F sound thicker but not boomy or distorted. The sub bass of the Mest's is in some Music way too much. The bass in Ellen Andersson's "You should have told me" sound with the Mest distorted but her voice is compared to the S8F thinner and more in the background. In Gabriel Mbanda's "Struggles of Joseph" the sub bass of the Mest is laughable strong. Just terrible! John McLaughlin's, 5 Peace Band "New Blues, Old Bruise" is very powerful with the S8F and sounds lifeless and muffled on the Mest. Katie Melua's "A love like that" sound's nice on both IEM's. Sometimes a litte unpleasant on the Mest when Katie's voice get's a bit loud. The Claudia Quintet's "just like him" sounds on both IEM's equal good.

I think I have to stop writing here because I have to charge my Hiby R6 Pro. The Mest need way more power than my S8F. I usually run my S8F unbalanced on level 30 and the Mest need's between 45 and 50 and it sucks the battery dry in no time. There is nothing what the Mest can play better or more interesting in my library than my S8F. Okay, that's not true. "Everything in it's right place" from Radiohead sounds great on the Mest.

So, no hard feelings! I will sell them. (not, because I'm an idiot). My Fearless S8F, a third of the price of the Mest, sound way better. At least for me.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,223 of 7,303
@tommykrebs
Absolutely same here, I'm using cp145 on S8F too and azla xlastec is awful pairing with S8F, they suck out all the bass and elevate the treble too much. You've just comfirmed my suspicion about Mest, I was thinking about upgrade but now I don't think it's gonna happen. I'm tired of beating the same horse but S8F is truly remarkable for the price if you prefer this kind of tuning and if the fit is good.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,226 of 7,303
@tommykrebs
Absolutely same here, I'm using cp145 on S8F too and azla xlastec is awful pairing with S8F, they suck out all the bass and elevate the treble too much. You've just comfirmed my suspicion about Mest, I was thinking about upgrade but now I don't think it's gonna happen. I'm tired of beating the same horse but S8F is truly remarkable for the price if you prefer this kind of tuning and if the fit is good.
That's what I thought in the first place. How can I have more fun with a different IEM? The Mest can nothing do better. There is no better separation, detail, bass, mids, highs etc. I had not one moment where I thought: Wow! this is really better. Quite the opposite.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,227 of 7,303
Try foam tips, as for me, they isolate much better.

Brand new out of the box?, give the drivers time to settle.

I had the same quirks, but with break in, tip roll, and cable change, it worked well for me!!

I don't believe in burn in. And I cannot stand the pressure of foam tips. The seal is perfect with the CP145. The Mest are in my eyes overall inferior to the SF8. No genre where they compete better. And no reason to keep them.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,228 of 7,303
@tommykrebs
...and azla xlastec is awful pairing with S8F, they suck out all the bass and elevate the treble too much.
I like the Xelastec on my S8F. They give me a perfect seal and super fast and tight bass without shoving them all the way down my ear canal but I have to use them in size "ss". Maybe your's are too big in size. Sound's like a bad seal.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,229 of 7,303
That's what I thought in the first place. How can I have more fun with a different IEM? The Mest can nothing do better. There is no better separation, detail, bass, mids, highs etc. I had not one moment where I thought: Wow! this is really better. Quite the opposite.

I don't think mest is bad per se, alot of users here like it very much.... I believe they do some things very right and it's about cable ant tip roll to find best performance. It's more about understanding one's preference in tuning and I cannot deviate too much from what S8F give me, and looking graphs alone they are very different. To my knowledge only V14 could be worthy upgrade that follows the tuning of S8F. That is without going into 2-3k price range.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,230 of 7,303
You're probably used to the fearless, listen to just the mest for a couple days. They are quite different tunings. Things like sounstage can be very subjective. To me mest has the most holographic stage and great detail retrieval but if you don't like/get used to the tuning its just going to sound bad. The brain is the most powerful eq. If you still don't like it at least you have a reference for exactly what you don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back