Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 19, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #6,391 of 7,306
Eartips the included Xelastec SS seal very well for me so not looking around much ( will try crystal tws tips if I can find them cause not available locally)

on the dongle/dap recommendations yeah I think I should’ve explained more.I believe in synergy so I do think there will be gears at every price point that work better with them than the others.

My main use case is from streaming Apple Music. I don’t have an offline library. I would like a dongle/dap that can work well with AM and that can make the mids of mk2 a bit better and thicker.( a slight mid-bass boost would be good too ).
Shanling DAP like M8, new M6 or M6 AKM version, Ifi dongle like Gold Bar and Chord Mojo OG are warm sounding.
In desktop setup getting R2R with tube but not suitable for IEM or discreet amp is best way to bring warmth and cut down peaks in treble. Though non are cheap.
Don't be afraid to try out some EQ for mid bass

Have heard good thing about Hiby R2R DAPs but don't buy blind and see if you can get a trial. It may be warm however I do worry as these cheap R2R DAPs may be warm but at the same time can sound bright. I personally don't like RU6 although many called it as warm and all but I never found it to be warm sounding and it was bright as well.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #6,392 of 7,306
Shanling DAP like M8, new M6 or M6 AKM version, Ifi dongle like Gold Bar and Chord Mojo OG are warm sounding.
In desktop setup getting R2R with tube but not suitable for IEM or discreet amp is best way to bring warmth and cut down peaks in treble. Though non are cheap.

Have heard good thing about Hiby R2R DAPs but don't buy blind and see if you can get a trial. It may be warm however I do worry as these cheap R2R DAPs may be warm but at the same time can sound bright. I personally don't like RU6 although many called it as warm and all but I never found it to be warm sounding and it was bright as well.
The original mojo is well priced locally for me could probably get that easily and the m6 pro 2020 also not bad price wise though battery life would be a concern with both.

The thing I’m contemplating is whether get a dap or just use the upcoming zen dac and tanchjim space ( if someone tried it do share your thoughts ) for a while and get a more expensive dap or dac/amp later or get a cheaper one now.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #6,393 of 7,306

Good points but disagree with tube amp and iem. There are exceptions like hybrid tube amplifiers that work great with iem’s. Currently using a ares 2 R2R with a wells audio dragon 1 and the both mest mkii and Indigo sound excellent in this setup.

Even my older LPW2 and xDuoo Ta 20 setup produces really good sound with the Mest MKII the slight warmth the TA20 added helped balance the Treble.

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #6,394 of 7,306
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #6,395 of 7,306
Eartips the included Xelastec SS seal very well for me so not looking around much ( will try crystal tws tips if I can find them cause not available locally)

on the dongle/dap recommendations yeah I think I should’ve explained more.I believe in synergy so I do think there will be gears at every price point that work better with them than the others.

My main use case is from streaming Apple Music. I don’t have an offline library. I would like a dongle/dap that can work well with AM and that can make the mids of mk2 a bit better and thicker.( a slight mid-bass boost would be good too ).
I've tried a handful of dongles and I think the RU6 is still your best bet. I mainly swap between that and a Qudelix right now. I find there's better clarity and bass on the q5k but the lovely warmth the RU6 adds is unbeatable (I also find it deepens the stage, but maybe its just placebo). I also love the Moondrop Spring tips with my Mk2, the Xelastics are similar but something about how the Springs changed the sound just clicked for me.

I haven't used DAPs outside of old LG phones and try and keep my IEM gear portable so I can't give much other advice. I def agree about needing thicker mids on the Mk2, but the RU6 mostly fixes that for me at least. I've heard it can be finicky with iOS though.

Also damn, I don't check this thread for a bit and now there's a Mk3? Can't wait to see some impressions come in soon.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #6,396 of 7,306
I've tried a handful of dongles and I think the RU6 is still your best bet. I mainly swap between that and a Qudelix right now. I find there's better clarity and bass on the q5k but the lovely warmth the RU6 adds is unbeatable (I also find it deepens the stage, but maybe its just placebo). I also love the Moondrop Spring tips with my Mk2, the Xelastics are similar but something about how the Springs changed the sound just clicked for me.

I haven't used DAPs outside of old LG phones and try and keep my IEM gear portable so I can't give much other advice. I def agree about needing thicker mids on the Mk2, but the RU6 mostly fixes that for me at least. I've heard it can be finicky with iOS though.

Also damn, I don't check this thread for a bit and now there's a Mk3? Can't wait to see some impressions come in soon.
Yes I had the ru6 from a friend but it had a pop sound every time I change track or pause/play so not sure about that.

I’ll gst a Q5k soon. Though I sat with mest for the first time today ( before this was just a few minutes here and there ) and they hurt my ears a bit in half an hour so it’s not really sure they’ll stay. I guess we’ll see

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #6,397 of 7,306
So by seeing the thread here( and messaging some people who had them). I’m taking that cayin ru6 and lotto paw s2 are the dongles to pair with mest mk2.

Rs6 and Sony daps ( shanling too prob ? )

For dac amp it’s mojo 2 and ifi signature

Any other stellar recommendations especially a bit more pocket friendly would be appreciated.I’m currently using mine with the stock cable, Xelastec tips and an ru6 ( from a friend going back today )

I’m new in the hobby( 2 years ) and don’t have much stuff ATM ( compared to most people here )
I had in that order L&P W1, Cayin RU6 and Questyle M15. The M15 is by far the best option out of the three, crazy dynamics on the Mest MKII with this dongle and crystal clear sound. It outperforms the RU6, and don't be mistaken I like the RU6 but it just isn't the best match for the MKII.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #6,398 of 7,306
I had in that order L&P W1, Cayin RU6 and Questyle M15. The M15 is by far the best option out of the three, crazy dynamics on the Mest MKII with this dongle and crystal clear sound. It outperforms the RU6, and don't be mistaken I like the RU6 but it just isn't the best match for the MKII.
Hmm interesting.

Im getting a tanchjim space tomorrow and after that I was thinking of getting the hiby FC6 dongle ( cause I couldn’t find any good deal on the rs6 dap ). M15 is a good one too will try to get an audition from one of my friends.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #6,399 of 7,306
D39CD7C7-0FDF-4B06-BD6C-4F041D0D422B.jpeg

Probably fit for the thread

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #6,400 of 7,306
I’ve been using these with Xelastec tips but don’t really feel good with them. Plus I have to adjust them very soon. A friend recommend me spiral dots SF tips going to give those a try soon.

@UniqueMelody any chance you could help me to change these into customs ? I’m located in india would like to know the cost and time.

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #6,401 of 7,306
I’ve been using these with Xelastec tips but don’t really feel good with them. Plus I have to adjust them very soon. A friend recommend me spiral dots SF tips going to give those a try soon.

@UniqueMelody any chance you could help me to change these into customs ? I’m located in india would like to know the cost and time.
We do reshell uiem to ciem, the most convenient way is to contact the dealer you bought from, if you have trouble reaching out to them, pm me, I will help you out.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #6,403 of 7,306
I bought MEST MK2 a few months back but will definitely be buying MK3 as soon as it becomes available. I absolutely love mk2 and can’t imagine the euphoria of having an upgrade to what I am currently hearing.
6CAF145A-6AFC-4B93-AB48-12D3A107FB77.png

Looks like you need to be ready with your card in hand.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #6,405 of 7,306
Yes I had the ru6 from a friend but it had a pop sound every time I change track or pause/play so not sure about that.

I’ll gst a Q5k soon. Though I sat with mest for the first time today ( before this was just a few minutes here and there ) and they hurt my ears a bit in half an hour so it’s not really sure they’ll stay. I guess we’ll see
The RU6 popping is normal as far as I know (mine does it too). It has a lot of issues to be honest but it sounds so good I put up with them :)
I like the Q5K for its PEQ but I haven't tried higher-end Sabre dongles (like what RodC said about the Questyle) so they may ultimately be better as well.
Also, are they still hurting your ears? I had similar issues but got used to the sound and fit and can wear them almost all day now. The Xelastics weren't the comfiest for me either so swapping tips helped. I'll probably end up going custom eventually though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back