Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 20, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #5,926 of 7,365
Does anyone have experience owning the Odin and the Mest MK2? I am trying to decide on my next iem. My most used is the u12t and I am really debating between the Oracle mk2, the Mest mk2, or just saving up for the Odin. I know, of course, technical performance will drastically change because they are in very different price brackets. I just want something that will pair up well with my u12t, something with a different sound signature, that is why I am looking into the trib-quadbrid territory. Any suggestions?
I do not, but I have owned Monarch OG and I currently own MEST mkii & Legend EVO, and Legend EVO is superior to the other two in almost every way. MEST has slightly better treble clarity & detail, but given the extreme bass tightness & clarity and timbre you hardly miss the treble in real life listening. I can only assume that Odin & MEST, being more similar than MEST & Legend EVO, is just more of the same. Monarch (and by the transitive property, Oracle) isn't even in the same league.

That said, I am currently eying the new EE Odyssey, assumedly something of a hybrid between Odin & Legend EVO. It's possible it bridges the gap between Odin, Legend EVO, and MEST, to form the perfect IEM? The verdict is out. But ultimately, I think this is a case of the dreaded "you get what you pay for." MEST is incredible for its price, but it does not beat out Odin/EVO in any way.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #5,927 of 7,365
It's not a fair comparison since Mest Mk2 frequently on sales brand new for $999 and Odin is 3 times as much. I owned Mk2 for a while and demoed Odin in CanJam Socal and I would suggest you demo some more since your current U12t is so different from either Mk2 or Odin, both are much colorful in its own way.

However, if you like bass and don't mind colored signature, I would suggest you try Odyssey, it is definitely better than Odin and you just need to save a mere $1k more :)

In the meantime, at least to me, equally awsome is the new UM multiverse mentor (similarly priced as Odyssey) you probably want to demo.

I have to say that there is no substitution for your own impression since different people will definitely have different taste, especially when you made multiple kilo buck decision.
If you put it that way, it might indeed be worth saving the extra amount for the Odyssey. I definitely want a more colored sound since I want to justify keeping both the u12t and the possible addition.

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #5,928 of 7,365
Haven't had the time to get into my thoughts on upgrading from the Mest Mkii to Indigo. After having put well over a hundred hours on the Indigo I have to say there is no buyer remorse for me. I feel like the Mest Mk ii is an incredible value for the price. At the current sale price of $999.99, it’s a steal for an awesome iem.
The Indigo is at a more premium price like most higher price hi-fi equipment it has a diminishing return. If you love the sound of the mest mkii the Indigo sounds even better. Depends Imho on the rest of the system, if using something like an apple dongle buying an Indigo would be underappreciated. Both the mest mkii and indigo scale well with better source and amp if you are at that point in the audio journey you have a great system I recommend the Indigo. If not you can’t go wrong with the Mest Mkii and put the extra money towards other equipment.

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #5,929 of 7,365
For anyone who is eyeing Indigo, Andrew told me there are only 2 or 3 left in stock(including the demo). We will not make more Indigo.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Sep 23, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #5,930 of 7,365
Hello,

I'm looking for a new DAP for Mest MKII. Currently I have Hiby RS6 but after hours of listening I'm not sure if it's the best companion for Mest.

Maybe someone can suggest something? I can spend around 1500 euro (for a new one or used).
Mest sings really well with iBasso DX320. The ROHM chipset is highly revealing and MEST is a detail monster in its price range. This combo will reveal layers in music that are complex and difficult to play with a lesser setup, but it is not fatiguing and very musical. The combo also has a godly soundstage.

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #5,931 of 7,365
For anyone who is eyeing Indigo, Andrew told me there are only 2 or 3 left in stock(including the demo). We will not make more Indigo.
I am fine with a rebranding of Indigo as Mest MKIII :ksc75smile:.

I only bought Mest because I didn’t like the extroverted packaging of Indigo.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #5,932 of 7,365

Totally agree it's a excellent sounding iem and only making 200 seems like a waste of a great design. Be nice if released a a iem based on indigo but in a less expensive shell.
Do you have the mest mkii?

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #5,933 of 7,365
I unfortunately am a One at a time IEM person as I LOVE music but my funds arent huge for this LOVE and have stick to having only 1 End game iem at a time and picked the mest OG which i picked up used for a nice 650usd and I am extremely satisfied with it till i can hit the 800-950usd range for a used Mkii / mmkii .

Current set up is
MEST OG and hiby R3 pro saber with tripowin altea cables (dont laugh
)
Instead of upgrading to another iem which I personally dont think anything at this price range can compete with the OG (till i hit the mest mkii ,MMkii price range )thinking of getting a new source and upgrade cable.
Do you think me getting something like a ifi hip dac 2 , m3x ,lotoo paw s2 will open the mest up more then the r3 pro saber and give me a wow factor and be a true upgrade or should I go a bit higher and get
,IFI Xcan / xdsd OG / or gryphon , mojo 2 ? To open the OG up. Should any reasonable upgrade make a difference over the R3 pro saber ?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #5,934 of 7,365

I on the other hand love the Indigo and bought it because of the faceplates! :L3000:

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #5,935 of 7,365
I unfortunately am a One at a time IEM person as I LOVE music but my funds arent huge for this LOVE and have stick to having only 1 End game iem at a time and picked the mest OG which i picked up used for a nice 650usd and I am extremely satisfied with it till i can hit the 800-950usd range for a used Mkii / mmkii .

Current set up is
)
Instead of upgrading to another iem which I personally dont think anything at this price range can compete with the OG (till i hit the mest mkii ,MMkii price range )thinking of getting a new source and upgrade cable.
Do you think me getting something like a ifi hip dac 2 , m3x ,lotoo paw s2 will open the mest up more then the r3 pro saber and give me a wow factor and be a true upgrade or should I go a bit higher and get
,IFI Xcan / xdsd OG / or gryphon , mojo 2 ? To open the OG up. Should any reasonable upgrade make a difference over the R3 pro saber ?
You can get a new mkii for 999 on musikteck

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #5,936 of 7,365
You can get a new mkii for 999 on musikteck
I understand this but what’s a mkii with a wimpy hiby R3 pro saber.
Thinking of instead of upgrading my iem , keep the OG and upgrade my dac/dap. Are those dac ( HIp Dac , paw s2 , m3x going to make a huge noticeable improvement compared to my R3 PRO saber . Or should i go higher to a xcan, xdsd OG , mojo 2 and gryphon. + upgrade $100usd cable

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #5,937 of 7,365
I understand this but what’s a mkii with a wimpy hiby R3 pro saber.
Thinking of instead of upgrading my iem , keep the OG and upgrade my dac/dap. Are those dac ( HIp Dac , paw s2 , m3x going to make a huge noticeable improvement compared to my R3 PRO saber . Or should i go higher to a xcan, xdsd OG , mojo 2 and gryphon. + upgrade $100usd cable
I think you are over estimating what a dac can do. But I might be wrong.

IEM's do not need much power.

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #5,938 of 7,365

Current set up is
)
My spouse has the R3 pro going from it to the Shanling M6 pro 21 is a big sound inprovement. Used M6 pro 21 been running around $400 on classified. Only issue it is andriod 7.1 other than that it's a great deal at around $400.00 used.
There’s also the option of picking up a used dongle like the W2 and using the R3 as source and the W2 as dac and amp.

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,939 of 7,365
Totally agree it's a excellent sounding iem and only making 200 seems like a waste of a great design. Be nice if released a a iem based on indigo but in a less expensive shell.
Do you have the mest mkii?

I do have the MKII, grabbed one during the sale. It is still in burnin phase but I am very happy with it.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #5,940 of 7,365

Current set up is
)

The biggest difference between MEST MKI and MKII will be the bone conductor. UM rates it down to 500hz but during my listing I think the presence is strong down down to around 40hz.

Though MKII is my pick, if I already owned OG I would think upgrading the source will give a superior listening experience as OG is no slouch and is rated by reviewers to be better than MKII for midrange, lower treble and soundstage width.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back