Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 3, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #5,581 of 7,303
On the RS6 with the Mest MKii I use:

Darwin: Default
NOS: On
Atmosphere Enhanced: Off
Harmonic Controller: 60

The Mest MKii is not as mid forward as I've heard the Indigo is and these settings work for me well with that combo. I have preordered the new Sony WM2A and I'm looking forward to compare the 2.

May 3, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #5,582 of 7,303
On the RS6 with the Mest MKii I use:

Darwin: Default
NOS: On
Atmosphere Enhanced: Off
Harmonic Controller: 60

The Mest MKii is not as mid forward as I've heard the Indigo is and these settings work for me well with that combo. I have preordered the new Sony WM2A and I'm looking forward to compare the 2.

MEST MKII does have great synergy with RS6

However, I've been comparing both MEST Indigo and MKII for a couple of weeks now and in terms of performance and technicalities (especially vocals, staging, texture and tactility) MEST Indigo easily outperforms MKII. The realistic spatial sense Indigo achieves with it's imaging and layering makes them truly special and a keeper for me

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,583 of 7,303

However, I've been comparing both MEST Indigo and MKII for a couple of weeks now and in terms of performance and technicalities (especially vocals, staging, texture and tactility) MEST Indigo easily outperforms MKII. The realistic spatial sense Indigo achieves with it's imaging and layering makes them truly special and a keeper for me
Yup, I'm sure. Would love to own a pair. Maybe in the future, but I will see. I was thinking about getting an alternative cheaper pair of IEM's for when I'm out and about. I was thinking maybe of the IE600 when they become available.

May 3, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #5,584 of 7,303

Everything I read on the Indigo sounds like it’s a worthwhile upgrade. If I had the funds it differently be my first choice to try out the Indigo. Still really happy with my mest mkii they scaled up with every update to the rest of the chain. Currently trying out some higher end cables once there broken in i’ll decide on if there worth recommending.

May 3, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #5,585 of 7,303
Everything I read on the Indigo sounds like it’s a worthwhile upgrade. If I had the funds it differently be my first choice to try out the Indigo. Still really happy with my mest mkii they scaled up with every update to the rest of the chain. Currently trying out some higher end cables once there broken in i’ll decide on if there worth recommending.

The pwa cable that comes with the MKII is really good sounding, but different cables bring different results and the MKII will reveal them. ✌️

Forgot to mention, the Indigo is a better set than the MKII, but the value is not as good. At nearly twice the price of the MKII, the improvements more often are about extracting greater levels of micro-detail, at least as I hear it.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #5,586 of 7,303

Agreed. Listened to my Indigo today with LP6 and the imaging/layering/separation was incredible. A very special IEM indeed.

MEST MkII never really captivated me. I thought it was a solid performer, especially for it’s soundstage expansion and imaging, but I felt the bass lacked some note density and the treble had a strange, artificial sort of tone. I also found the midrange to sound kinda wonky. They were nitpicks though and it certainly is a good iem overall but I just didn’t really click with it or understand the massive hype.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #5,587 of 7,303
Agreed. Listened to my Indigo today with LP6 and the imaging/layering/separation was incredible. A very special IEM indeed.

MEST MkII never really captivated me. I thought it was a solid performer, especially for it’s soundstage expansion and imaging, but I felt the bass lacked some note density and the treble had a strange, artificial sort of tone. I also found the midrange to sound kinda wonky. They were nitpicks though and it certainly is a good iem overall but I just didn’t really click with it or understand the massive hype.

I actually had a friend try tried to argue the reason I am finding my universal MEST Indigo better sounding than MEST MK2 is simply because I never tried a custom MK2 set...

Their main claim was that going from universal fit to custom, the bone conductor performance on MK2 becomes game changing and "magic" because the shell on universal fit is only touching "1/5" of the concha area of your ears

I'm curious to hear thoughts on this

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,588 of 7,303
The pwa cable that comes with the MKII is really good sounding, but different cables bring different results and the MKII will reveal them. ✌️

Forgot to mention, the Indigo is a better set than the MKII, but the value is not as good. At nearly twice the price of the MKII, the improvements more often are about extracting greater levels of micro-detail, at least as I hear it.
Found the same thing with mest stock cable, after buying things like the XINHS graphene cable etc. the mest sound was always better with stock cable. Since I was offered the opportunity to try out some higher end prototype’s I decided to least give them a listen.
Good points on the Indigo since I still love the mest mkii it makes more sense to wait a few years before upgrading. I have spent a lot this last year on audio. Being stuck at home with long Covid, music been is a great escape from all the health issues.

May 4, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #5,589 of 7,303
I actually had someone tried to argue the reason I am finding my universal MEST Indigo better sounding than MEST MK2 is simply because I never tried a custom MK2 set...

Their main claim was that going from universal fit to custom, the bone conductor performance on MK2 becomes game changing and "magic" because the shell on universal fit is only touching "1/5" of the concha area of your ears

I'm curious to hear thoughts on this
lol, its "magic" because it keeps their wallet shut.

I personally prefer mkii to Indigo for my use case scenario, but Indigo is clearly a step above in quality.
I doubt the best seal known to man would allow mkii to compete with it in raw technicalities.

May 4, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #5,590 of 7,303
Can only Imagine how good the custom indigo would sound. I’m using the ePro tw01 with mest an feel they make better contact with the concha due to there height. There the best I found for comfort and sound quality.
I feel the tips and tubes make the biggest difference followed by source then cables in my system.

May 4, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #5,591 of 7,303
I have spent a lot this last year on audio. Being stuck at home with long Covid, music been is a great escape from all the health issues.

you and me both. 😉

May 4, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #5,592 of 7,303
Can only Imagine how good the custom indigo would sound. I’m using the ePro tw01 with mest an feel they make better contact with the concha due to there height. There the best I found for comfort and sound quality.
I feel the tips and tubes make the biggest difference followed by source then cables in my system.
The thing is, the bone conductor driver on the MEST series is actually mounted on the faceplate and not on the lower shell that makes contact with the concha thus raising many doubts against their argument

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #5,593 of 7,303
The thing is, the bone conductor driver on the MEST series is actually mounted on the faceplate and not on the lower shell that makes contact with the concha thus raising many doubts against their argument
That’s a good point maybe the improvements come from just the deeper incision into ear. The ePro‘s allow more contact around the whole body of mest and helps them sit deeper in the ear. Maybe more contact with more of the ear adds the improvement’s to vibration of the bone conduction driver?

May 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #5,594 of 7,303
That’s a good point maybe the improvements come from just the deeper incision into ear. The ePro‘s allow more contact around the whole body of mest and helps them sit deeper in the ear. Maybe more contact with more of the ear adds the improvement’s to vibration of the bone conduction driver?

Yes, I believe you’re correct on the notion the greater the contact between the shell and your ear, the greater the effect of the bc driver.

May 7, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #5,595 of 7,303

Also another grand more. So while it's special (I don't doubt that at all! Also beautiful) Is it a grand more (1700 more than what I paid really). Is there another IEM you've personally had you'd compare the tuning to? (Vs technicalities)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back