Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Oct 15, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #4,261 of 7,306
Most of the reviews seem good but rather check with members. It seems everyone that own them really enjoys them, any buyer remorse after buying? How’s the build quality of them in general. How well do they work for wide range of music taste and for someone that enjoys classic rock? The bone conduction is really interesting feature on paper how is it real life usage? I see some members upgrade to custom fit. If you go custom can you reuse your universal set inners or is it a complete new purchase?

Sorry about the amount of question it’s a lot of money to spend on a iem so want to research it as much as possible.
Like any product, you'll find a variety of reviews and impressions. *BUT* the thing about MEST is that there's a large percentage of people who try MEST and decide that's their endgame. No more chasing upgrades, they have no desire for a $2k or $3k iem, because "MEST is best." For a lot of people it's difficult to imagine what an iem could possibly do that would be "better." It's at least worth trying to see if you're one of those people.

You won't consciously hear or feel the bone conduction driver, but you really won't care. Because MEST is best. :xf_wink:

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #4,262 of 7,306
Like any product, you'll find a variety of reviews and impressions. *BUT* the thing about MEST is that there's a large percentage of people who try MEST and decide that's their endgame. No more chasing upgrades, they have no desire for a $2k or $3k iem, because "MEST is best." For a lot of people it's difficult to imagine what an iem could possibly do that would be "better." It's at least worth trying to see if you're one of those people.

You won't consciously hear or feel the bone conduction driver, but you really won't care. Because MEST is best. :xf_wink:
I couldn't agree more. The bone conduction driver is there. Once you use the iem enough you'll notice it but it is very subtle. But like @chrisnyc75 said you won't care anyhow because your immersed in the music.

Today i was listening after I got home from work. I was tired so I got in my lazyboy type chair and started listening to an acoustic playlist on Tidal. I feel sleep but when I woke up the IEMs had completely disappeared from my ears and the music was coming from all around me. I was completely enveloped. It was an amazing:ksc75smile: experience.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,263 of 7,306

This serves my confirmation bias very well, lol :) I'm looking for any excuse to not splurge $3500 on a MAD24

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,265 of 7,306

MEST is really great. However, I don't think it is in my top 5.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #4,266 of 7,306
MEST is really great. However, I don't think it is in my top 5.
Even after receiving EVO i still think Mest II has its place. Because of tuning which, to my surprise, i liked a lot. It has insane staging height, best i have heard. And it is really versatile. It played most of my music excellent.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,267 of 7,306
Even after receiving EVO i still think Mest II has its place. Because of tuning which, to my surprise, i liked a lot. It has insane staging height, best i have heard. And it is really versatile. It played most of my music excellent.
I love my MEST OG for its sound stage and imaging. I spent some time with the mkii and I like it better than the OG. I would need to spend more time with it to see if it cracks the top 5. I might like it more than my Legend X.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,268 of 7,306
I love my MEST OG for its sound stage and imaging. I spent some time with the mkii and I like it better than the OG. I would need to spend more time with it to see if it cracks the top 5. I might like it more than my Legend X.
What are your top 5 as of now?

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #4,269 of 7,306
From your impressions i think i would not like OG. It would be too lean. TBH evwn Mest II there are very few tips that achieve required bass quantity for me. Though i like uts Bass texture more than LX and if it has a touch more quantity EVO.
EVOs subbass and extension is by far the best experience in bass department ever. Its just insane. But its midbass is really getting in my way, so hopping to get used to it somehow.

Mest does not have that midbass mud and comes out clean with just enough quantity. And on top it has that lovely smooth but extended upper treble presentation that EVO lack.
Yes EVOs imaging is more accurate and it has slightly better resolution so definitely not saying Mest is better. But looking at price difference its a tough call. And will depend on individual decisions and preferences.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #4,270 of 7,306
From your impressions i think i would not like OG. It would be too lean. TBH evwn Mest II there are very few tips that achieve required bass quantity for me. Though i like uts Bass texture more than LX and if it has a touch more quantity EVO.
EVOs subbass and extension is by far the best experience in bass department ever. Its just insane. But its midbass is really getting in my way, so hopping to get used to it somehow.

Mest does not have that midbass mud and comes out clean with just enough quantity. And on top it has that lovely smooth but extended upper treble presentation that EVO lack.
Yes EVOs imaging is more accurate and it has slightly better resolution so definitely not saying Mest is better. But looking at price difference its a tough call. And will depend on individual decisions and preferences.
OG Mest is indeed too lean, but it works well for Classical music.

EVO can get a bit bloated in the mid bass. My favorite IEM for midbass is the IER-Z1R. But, overall bass and impact is definitely EVO.

The MEST mkii was much more balanced than OG. I want to spend more time with it.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #4,271 of 7,306
I have such a love/not-so-keen relationship with MEST MKII - there are times where I listen and I love it, others then completely underwhelmed. Maybe my DAP pairing isn't ideal, I have the Cayin N6ii-Ti inbound - hopefully that will inject a new sense of life into it for me. It has almost gone up on classifieds several times, only to be rescued by a 'one more chance' listen! I am listening now and enjoying anyway, currently via W2.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #4,272 of 7,306

One of the best descriptions of the MK2 I've read yet. Excellent. 👍

What started out a rocky relationship with the MK2 I've fallen head over heels with it. And my Hiby r5s is just starting to burn in and seems to get better as the days go on. Very happy I stuck with the mk2

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #4,275 of 7,306

I thought the Evo was supposed to have less mid-bass than the LX OG? Is that true?
I might be getting confused lol, I've read so many threads lately :D

Funnily enough, I've just been listening to the MEST Mk II on my modded Sony ZX300.
Had to do some stuff in the kitchen, and spent a brief while first trying to decide on which DAP/IEM combo to go with.

WM1Z, DX300 and DX220MAX are a bit too chunky and heavy for the 'lounge wear' trousers I'm wearing, so I ended up with the ZX300.

Tried my Stealth Sonics U4 (was intending to listen to something relaxing, like Gregory Porter, Norah Jones, Garrett Kato, Shawn Mullins etc, but the track already playing on the DAP when I switched it on was by Pearl Jam. I found I wasn't enjoying the U4 so much with this DAP and with my music choice of the morning (which somehow changed to mostly hard rock).
Picked up the UM Fusang, but then decided what I wanted was some DD goodness, and plugged in the MEST Mk II instead.

Wow. Big soundstage and separation, good level of bass impact and rumble, great technical performance. Musical and fun too!
it's funny how I actually ended up choosing my music of the morning based on my IEM choice, rather than the other way around :laughing:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back