Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4,156 of 7,365
Hey, hope someone can help? I'm just about to buy MEST MK2 today but before I pull the trigger just needed a couple of questions answered so thought I'd come here. First, I'm a total Basshead but also need the bass to be technically adept! Will MEST MK2 satisfy my Basshead needs? Second, if it works out it is not bass heavy enough for my is it possible to EQ to a bass heavy level and how does MEST MK2 handle extreme EQ? Thanks in advance for your help its much appreciated👍
If you are a basshead, buy Empire Ears EVO. If it's out of your price range, wait for the resales in about 9-12 months.

Otherwise, get IE900 and sell it to buy EVO at the end of next year.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #4,157 of 7,365
If you are a basshead, buy Empire Ears EVO. If it's out of your price range, wait for the resales in about 9-12 months.

Otherwise, get IE900 and sell it to buy EVO at the end of next year.
Yeh will be interesting to See how Evo compares to Mest mkII technically. Tonally its the best balance i have ever heard on iem. But Evo might just beat it with its Extra EE sauce. Worst case i will have IMR Avalon to grab a middle ground. Between balanced and thunderous.
Ahh the BC wars haha.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #4,158 of 7,365
Yeh will be interesting to See how Evo compares to Mest mkII technically. Tonally its the best balance i have ever heard on iem. But Evo might just beat it with its Extra EE sauce. Worst case i will have IMR Avalon to grab a middle ground. Between balanced and thunderous.
Ahh the BC wars haha.
EVO is way more v-shaped than MEST. I wouldn't assume they're even remotely comparable, though they might make a nice contrasting pair.

1633049226174.png

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #4,159 of 7,365
EVO is way more v-shaped than MEST. I wouldn't assume they're even remotely comparable, though they might make a nice contrasting pair.

EVO and MEST Mkii are completely different and complementary IEMs. I love both. The prior poster said he was a basshead. The EVO is bass head IEM that is pretty balanced. If you listen to EVO for an hour and switch to MEST MKii, you will think it is bass light and veiled.

After I saw BGGAR's review, I A/B tested Traillii and EVO. I preferred EVO for all 3 of his test tracks which were Fleetwood Mac Dreams, Queen Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and Dire Straits Sultans of Swing. In all 3 cases, I preferred EVO. He is optimizing to Classic Rock, vocals and a live sound stage. I am sure a lot of people share his preferences. I listen to mostly Modern Pop, Jazz and Classical music where instrumental music and bass and rhythm section is dominant. Therefore, I prefer EVO. BGGAR was seeking a reference monitor. It's amazing that basshead monitor was actually on his list for comparison. If your take a genre like Movie Sound tracks, EVO slays it. Nothing is even close.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #4,160 of 7,365
EVO and MEST Mkii are completely different and complementary IEMs. I love both. The prior poster said he was a basshead. The EVO is bass head IEM that is pretty balanced. If you listen to EVO for an hour and switch to MEST MKii, you will think it is bass light and veiled.
I bet it does with about a 5db subbass swing and about a 10db treble swing. 😳 Just looking at that graph I get fatigue 😂 nah I'm sure EE works some kinda magic and makes them quite amazing

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #4,161 of 7,365
20210930_214244.jpg

iFi audio Go Blu > Hapa Audio Knot IEM Cable > UM MEST MK 2 Gold Foil Custom.

My kind of quit audio setup!

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #4,162 of 7,365
I bet it does with about a 5db subbass swing and about a 10db treble swing. 😳 Just looking at that graph I get fatigue 😂 nah I'm sure EE works some kinda magic and makes them quite amazing
Haha true that. I get fatigue from something like the Legend.. just too much bass emphasis that drowned out everything else imo. Haven’t heard the EVO, but that chart gives me an headache too lol~ And yes, i’m sure bassheads would love it.

For me, I’m happy with the Mest2 with it’s relatively balanced approach that still manages to make the bass “felt” thanks to the DBCs.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #4,163 of 7,365

1633049226174.png
Thats why i said i will only compare them on a technical side. I am fully aware of EE tuning habits and tuning differences of both. Thing is i liled both LX And Mest.
What graph does not show, is characteristics of soundstage and imaging.
Also treble on Mest is done by estats and by BA on EVO.
I absolutely love Mest mkII treble. And even looking at graph you can tell that treble is more prominent in Mest tuning yet its not fatiguing at all.
I was quite happy with LX OG treble for a year to so Evos roll off in upper treble should not be a problem.
I bet it does with about a 5db subbass swing and about a 10db treble swing
You do realise that its upper mids that are lifted by 10db not treble. Treble is more pronounced on Mest.
But then Evos mid bump will just even it out with bass.

Anyways cannot say much yet as i dont have Evo.
1 thing for sure i absolutely loved Mest mkII and was about to settle on them for a good while. But as ex owner of LX i had to order EVO. I never dismissed the idea of going back to Mest mkII. Just need to try EVO and Avalon once i get both and decide between 3 of them.
I know for sure that one BC driver iem will stay for a while.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,164 of 7,365
so i tried the XinHS graphene cable. its just too much treble for me. i prefer something warmer
Totally agree. I thought I needed something to brighten the MKII's with the Hiby R8, but as they have burnt in, I find that my initial assessment was hasty. In fact, I'm now using Comply TSX500 eartips to accentuate the bass. The entire sound signature has changed over the last couple of weeks.

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,165 of 7,365
Just demoing the UM Mest MK II. It has its charms. But so sensitive to seal. Switched out immediately to Xelastic ear tips. Still takes a while to get the right fit. I can understand why the recommendation from @UniqueMelody is to get the customs, if possible. Then I guess you do not then have to worry about fit and seal. When the stars are aligned and you have a good seal, the Mest MK II is so musical yet well balanced. :)

Will demo some more. And ponder... :)

B14FB9F7-0475-4CC5-AB55-F149D30416D8.jpeg

1AF3540D-0481-4B8A-BCFA-EE86B39456C3.jpeg

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #4,167 of 7,365
I'd probably enjoy EVO. That lift through the mids and low treble should balance the bass pretty well. Still looks like too much of a boomer for me for daily consumption but would be fun on occassion. Not spending the 3K+ though so it's moot.
Same. EVO looks like a good fun time, but it's one thing to spend $3k+ on an over ear headphone that is going to live its whole life in the safety and comfort of my home; it's another thing entirely to spend that kind of money on an iem that's going to go out into the world where odds are sooner or later it's going to get lost, stolen, or break. I picture myself frantically diving for cover at the first sign of drizzle. lol

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #4,168 of 7,365
Same. EVO looks like a good fun time, but it's one thing to spend $3k+ on an over ear headphone that is going to live its whole life in the safety and comfort of my home; it's another thing entirely to spend that kind of money on an iem that's going to go out into the world where odds are sooner or later it's going to get lost, stolen, or break. I picture myself frantically diving for cover at the first sign of drizzle. lol
Nah, of course depends on how you treat them. I personally ordered it purely for office and commuting. I almost never have time to listen at home. Yet in office they are on at least 5hr daily. This is my treat. I would nit spend 3k for something that i use few hrs a week personally.

That said i would be very very happy person if i find something i like better than EVO that costs less than 1k lol. And you know, Mest beats quite a few multi kilo IEMs for me.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #4,169 of 7,365
I think I'm about to have to send mine back for repair or replacement. The nozzles came loose. They now rotate both clockwise and counter clockwise. They are not adhered to the resin anymore. They still function perfectly but when I change tips it's hard because the nozzles spin.

I emailed Andrew and hopefully they can be sent in for repair. I purchased them from a 1 owner that originally bought them from Musictek but I'm not sure how thier RMA process goes.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #4,170 of 7,365
One could argue though that the IEMs would offer more value though, since you'd be able to use them outside as well as in the comfort of your home. One could make that argument, I'm not saying I am. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back