Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 19, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #391 of 7,350
Cool and thanks! Looks like I am going for the U.S. version.
I got the Int (US) version. and IMO you wont disappoint and think of getting the JP ver. Im only listening in short period, but my initial impression IMO the Bass is very special (great subbass slap, and the overall bass texture is addictive), the treble is sparklingly good and feel very natural, vocal is great, texture of instrument is great, nothing that i find wrong (not shouty, sibilance, etc) and i find this very transparent esp on good recording. IMO all is as per discribed by BGGAR in his video, i may be biased, but based on that IMO the difference between JP and Int ver will not be that much. But if there is real comparison from someone that has bought both of it will be great for other potential customer, so they can choose based on their preference.

I gotta listen more longer but i think this can be my end game and reference set going forward.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #392 of 7,350
I got the Int (US) version. and IMO you wont disappoint and think of getting the JP ver. Im only listening in short period, but my initial impression IMO the Bass is very special (great subbass slap, and the overall bass texture is addictive), the treble is sparklingly good and feel very natural, vocal is great, texture of instrument is great, nothing that i find wrong (not shouty, sibilance, etc) and i find this very transparent esp on good recording. IMO all is as per discribed by BGGAR in his video, i may be biased, but based on that IMO the difference between JP and Int ver will not be that much. But if there is real comparison from someone that has bought both of it will be great for other potential customer, so they can choose based on their preference.

I gotta listen more longer but i think this can be my end game and reference set going forward.
These seem to be exactly what I have been looking for, and I can't wait to get a pair.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #393 of 7,350
There are some minor changes in the bass timbre, where the mid-bass is slightly more pronounced. The upper-mid to treble is slightly brighter than the original MEST. The difference is about 5% if make sense.

Also i think i read and ask a lot before put the trigger on int MEST. For the difference between Jp ver and Int ver. i think description from UM can discribe this, and see BGGA's graph vs Crin Graph, iirc. BGGA's is JP ver and Crin's is International version (i asked this personally; but if i mistakenly thought that what crin refer to international ver is JP ver then please somebody make the correction and let everybody know).

also from review on mest description page of jp version on fromjapan.co.jp said that "On the other hand, turning to the low frequency side, the "MEST" is tuned so that the volume of the low end is fairly modest. Those who usually listen to sound sources that produce low frequencies often immediately notice. It can be said that this feature further emphasizes the unique sound of the bone-conducted sound, but in any case, it seems that there is a preference here. This is a model that I would recommend to those who often listen to pops, because it creates a sound that particularly looks like a guitar in terms of musical instruments and a female vocal in terms of vocals. Please consider it. [Review date: May 29, 2020]"

i choose international ver from musicteck because i prefer more pronounce subbass. ( in fact in mid bass is not recessed in my int version, but the timbre result may be slightly difference compared to jp ver). the other reason is JP ver is more expensive and it got +10% jp consumption tax, and also im hoping for more good service, warranty and aftersales service from musicteck (while cust/aftersales service from JP ver is yet unknown for me). hope this help.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #394 of 7,350
that being said, my intention is not to rec people to choose international version over the jp ver, or say that one is better than other. Im just sharing the info i got, and hope people can choose based on their preference. But i believe both version are great sets.
happy shopping!

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #395 of 7,350
It is confusing when you said int(us) version, per my understanding, it is said as standard version by UM rep here. And I guess that a western version Mentioned is still on planning stage?

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #396 of 7,350
It is confusing when you said int(us) version, per my understanding, it is said as standard version by UM rep here. And I guess that a western version Mentioned is still on planning stage?

ah. yes maybe original version will be the best term for that to avoid confusion. (i just said US because it is sold by musicteck in US). and international ver in my post above is also refering to the original version.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #397 of 7,350
Just notice in the picture together the Mest with Z1R, look like they have similar size?
Z1R is known to have fitting issue for some for its size, how do owners of Mest feel about fitting?

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #398 of 7,350
Just notice in the picture together the Mest with Z1R, look like they have similar size?
Z1R is known to have fitting issue for some for its size, how do owners of Mest feel about fitting?

i dont have Z1R so i cannot compare. (the shell form is quite similar to Mangird tea, thieaudio, or ej07 if you ever try them)

the shell is not too wide, a bit thick but not in annoying level. and it is light.
the nozze is quite long, enough to get quite deep insertion..
fit is not a problem for me.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #399 of 7,350
now my interest in the MEST JP is big, gotta figure out how to get the JP version

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #400 of 7,350
now my interest in the MEST JP is big, gotta figure out how to get the JP version
As far as i know, the only way to get it is either if you are in Japan and you buy it there, or you have friend in Japan so he/she can buy it for you (In my country there is also someone that providing service to buy something in japan), or via fromjapan.co.jp.

maybe other that have experience to get it from other source can share.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #401 of 7,350
Generally speaking, I would suggest western consumers try the original MEST first. MEST JP is tuned specially for Japanese genres(female vocals, brighter treble...), while MEST is more neutral and balanced. Meanwhile, MEST is not a "generic tuning" IEMs. It has a unique timbre that delivered from the quadbrid drivers' configuration, I think most of the MEST owners will agree with me on this.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Aug 21, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #402 of 7,350
Generally speaking, I would suggest western consumers try the original MEST first. MEST JP is tuned specially for Japanese genres(female vocals, brighter treble...), while MEST is more neutral and balanced. Meanwhile, MEST is not a "generic tuning" IEMs. It has a unique timbre that delivered from the quadbrid drivers' configuration, I think most of the MEST owners will agree with me on this.

100% agree (referring to the original MEST). I've never heard another IEM that sounds quite like it (and I mean that in a good way lol); it's definitely one that anyone interested should hear if they have the chance :)

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #403 of 7,350
Just got these in the door.. I’m hypedddd

Attachments

• 1C4CE045-8960-4934-B6BA-06FA892D8C29.jpeg
    1C4CE045-8960-4934-B6BA-06FA892D8C29.jpeg
    993.5 KB · Views: 0
  • E0BF53C8-85B2-4AF4-A686-3B368B7C912E.jpeg
    E0BF53C8-85B2-4AF4-A686-3B368B7C912E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A045E945-93B0-4CC7-9DFF-3E2D74FF0FE8.jpeg
    A045E945-93B0-4CC7-9DFF-3E2D74FF0FE8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1A2F4E89-7F2A-425E-BE49-7D074116294F.jpeg
    1A2F4E89-7F2A-425E-BE49-7D074116294F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 121C9397-A288-4692-8329-458B3EC036A0.jpeg
    121C9397-A288-4692-8329-458B3EC036A0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 23, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #404 of 7,350

Musictek said the jp version just has slightly boosted treble for the Japanese pop female vocal craze. It can be had for $1,700 through them.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #405 of 7,350
Mine should be arriving tomorrow alongside the DMagic.

New toy syndrome has me all excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back