Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #3,931 of 7,353
Mat I thought about going with a Large too. The Large size creates a good seal for me and doesn't necessarily go in my ear canal as much as it floats outside of it. But the Large for me creates a resonance within my ear that's bothersome. So I opted for the small size as to go inside my ear canal and eliminates that resonance and still gets an excellent seal. Just needs to go further in my ear to get that seal.

Another thing is with it being inserted further in my ear I'm hoping that the BCD is operating as it should as opposed to being further away with the Large size tip.

My $0.02 cents for what it's worth.
I’d love to be able to follow your example. My ear canal is so narrow, esp. on the right, that the nozzle won’t even fit without an eartip on, or maybe just… So all eartips are too large, including the very smallest. I have no other option than to block the entrance, so to speak.. :)

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,932 of 7,353
I’d love to be able to follow your example. My ear canal is so narrow, esp. on the right, that the nozzle won’t even fit without an eartip on, or maybe just… So all eartips are too large, including the very smallest. I have no other option than to block the entrance, so to speak.. :)
That's unfortunate. The mest isn't what I would call a small nozzled iem either.

Have you ever tried Shure's line of iems? They have an extremely small nozzle.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,933 of 7,353
That's unfortunate. The mest isn't what I would call a small nozzled iem either.

Have you ever tried Shure's line of iems? They have an extremely small nozzle.
No I haven’t, good to know. But it’s alright. With the L size Xelastecs and now Crystals, I manage quite well. I have one custom IEM, a 64 audio N8, and I get more or less the same experience, to my ears, as the universals, so I’m not complaining.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #3,934 of 7,353
No I haven’t, good to know. But it’s alright. With the L size Xelastecs and now Crystals, I manage quite well. I have one custom IEM, a 64 audio N8, and I get more or less the same experience, to my ears, as the universals, so I’m not complaining.
So do you prefer the Crystals over the Xelastecs on the Mest?

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,935 of 7,353
Generally yes. They are more rigid (because the core is strengthened) and maintain their shape better. Occasionally this means that they cannot be inserted as far into my ears. In those cases I still use the Xelastecs. But for 80% Crystals have taken over..

EDIT: sorry, your question was for the Mest specifically. Yes, I prefer the Crystals on the MEST.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #3,936 of 7,353
I just got the Crystals this week and I prefer them over the Xelastecs for my OG MEST. They provide perfect isolation, they don't distort and the bass deepens and thickens up. It's a really nice sound.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #3,937 of 7,353
I just got the Crystals this week and I prefer them over the Xelastecs for my OG MEST. They provide perfect isolation, they don't distort and the bass deepens and thickens up. It's a really nice sound.
Ok now this is what concerns me. How is the resolution compared to the Xelastecs? My thinking is because the Crystals are thicker that resolution would be effected. The bass deepening makes perfect sense though.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #3,938 of 7,353
Ok now this is what concerns me. How is the resolution compared to the Xelastecs? My thinking is because the Crystals are thicker that resolution would be effected. The bass deepening makes perfect sense though.
I don't notice a reduction in resolution. It has a much better sound to me. In fact, the magic of the MEST OG is the sound stage and imaging. Those features don't get diminished at all. I liked them so much, I tried them with my Odins and they had the same effect of improving the bass response. And, I ordered another set because they are so good. Only issue is that the bore size is very small and it took for forever to get them onto my MEST OG.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #3,939 of 7,353
I don't notice a reduction in resolution. It has a much better sound to me. In fact, the magic of the MEST OG is the sound stage and imaging. Those features don't get diminished at all. I liked them so much, I tried them with my Odins and they had the same effect of improving the bass response. And, I ordered another set because they are so good. Only issue is that the bore size is very small and it took for forever to get them onto my MEST OG.
Yes, the smaller bore size is a bit of a struggle, but I got the hang of it pretty quick. They come with inserts too, for even smaller bore sizes, ridiculously small ones. I wonder which IEMs have a bore size that small, maybe the Shure ones referred to earlier.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #3,940 of 7,353
Glad to hear it. The best fitting tip for me is the triple flange but it does affect the resolution and soundstage in a negative way. So it sounds to me that in your opinion @HiFiHawaii808 the Crystals are the best tip you've tested for the MEST?

I went ahead and ordered the type e in clear and red just to be on the safe side.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,941 of 7,353
Yes, the smaller bore size is a bit of a struggle, but I got the hang of it pretty quick. They come with inserts too, for even smaller bore sizes, ridiculously small ones. I wonder which IEMs have a bore size that small, maybe the Shure ones referred to earlier.
That's prolly exactly what they are for. Shure.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,942 of 7,353
Glad to hear it. The best fitting tip for me is the triple flange but it does affect the resolution and soundstage in a negative way. So it sounds to me that in your opinion @HiFiHawaii808 the Crystals are the best tip you've tested for the MEST?

I went ahead and ordered the type e in clear and red just to be on the safe side.
Yes, the Crystals are the best I've tried and I've tried about a dozen including double flanges. The isolation is so good they are just like customs.

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,943 of 7,353
Yes, the Crystals are the best I've tried and I've tried about a dozen including double flanges. The isolation is so good they are just like customs.
Man I'm really excited about these tips. I was blown away by the sound quality of the included xelastecs last night. I see why they include them with the MK2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back