Unique Melody Announcements, Impressions, & More
Aug 31, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #271 of 553
First off, thank you everyone for your support! I'm glad to see the 3DD-Ti are making their way into Head-Fier's hands now and that you guys are enjoying them =)

I trust what you said @glassmonkey but that's pretty weird. I'm not entirely convinced that the UE folks are anywhere more familiar with UM designs than myself......and did UM put this cable swapping hobby of head-fiers into their consideration towards the decision to use this type of socket, given UM themselves do not offer other cable options? Can we take it at face value and assume the UE cables are compatible with the correct polarity? Can someone else chime in on this issue, UM users or @Cotnijoe perhaps? Thanks and any input would be a big help!

I believe UE traditionally has + in front when wearing the IEMs. It's been a long while though and I'll admit I'm not totally sure if that's changed from them. I don't see a reason why they would change that. But I can say for certain that this is the configuration we use with our IEMs:

UM IEM Polarity.png

Anybody know any dealers in Europe that I can source on of UM's 2 pin cables with the screw on bit? There doesn't seem to be a UK dealer at the moment and China have quoted me $50 just for the delivery!

We're currently looking to expand our dealer and distributor network so hopefully we'll make support of our European fans better soon! For now, I'd suggest reaching out to Andrew over at MusicTeck to see if maybe he can work something out with you!

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #273 of 553
First off, thank you everyone for your support! I'm glad to see the 3DD-Ti are making their way into Head-Fier's hands now and that you guys are enjoying them =)

I believe UE traditionally has + in front when wearing the IEMs. It's been a long while though and I'll admit I'm not totally sure if that's changed from them. I don't see a reason why they would change that. But I can say for certain that this is the configuration we use with our IEMs:

We're currently looking to expand our dealer and distributor network so hopefully we'll make support of our European fans better soon! For now, I'd suggest reaching out to Andrew over at MusicTeck to see if maybe he can work something out with you!

Thanks!! So I guess that leaves us with NO aftermarket cable options except custom made ones........

If that’s the case, would like to know more about the stock cable - usual OFC affair I believe?

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #274 of 553
Thanks!! So I guess that leaves us with NO aftermarket cable options except custom made ones........

If that’s the case, would like to know more about the stock cable - usual OFC affair I believe?
I think that UM polarity is the same as everybody else, it's UE that was weird. I can't recall if standard 0.78mm 2 pin works, but it's worth a try. I think the UM pins are a touch smaller than 0.78mm, if memory serves. Try your 1964 Audio stock cable first off.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #275 of 553
I think that UM polarity is the same as everybody else, it's UE that was weird. I can't recall if standard 0.78mm 2 pin works, but it's worth a try. I think the UM pins are a touch smaller than 0.78mm, if memory serves. Try your 1964 Audio stock cable first off.

I see what you mean, but the UE/UM protruding socket means it’d be a rather heavy strain on usual Cm 2pin plugs (easily getting the pins bent) and also the 2 adding up would means a taller than usual height for the part leading from the iem to the upper turn of your ears. May work, but not ideal.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #276 of 553
2 things to report on the 3DD ti: -

1. There is a pretty agressive peak somewhere in the higher-mids range (but somehow lower than the usually boosted presence range in the 7-8k range) and while it is fine for many songs it becomes nasty in hotter female vocal tracks. I gotta make use of my WM1A's eq for the very first time by tunning down the 8K band by 6db and the 4k band by 3 db to make it sound more natural. I'm not sure this would go away with burn-in

2. The change in sound with the knob is fairly noticeable, but it's a pity that the knob can't hold its place anywhere between the 2 extremes.

For male vocals and warmer female vocals these sound great to excellent except it's pretty coloured and far from neutral.

Of course the cable is a bugger - I've checked and it seems of the 3 major brands using the UE type connectors, only UM aligns it front - / rear +. Both UE and qdc adopts the UE alignment of front + / rear -, and most aftermarket cable makers adopts this alignment as well as default. Without comparison and without any info on its composition I'm not sure how good / bad the stock cable is.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #277 of 553
2 things to report on the 3DD ti: -

1. There is a pretty agressive peak somewhere in the higher-mids range (but somehow lower than the usually boosted presence range in the 7-8k range) and while it is fine for many songs it becomes nasty in hotter female vocal tracks. I gotta make use of my WM1A's eq for the very first time by tunning down the 8K band by 6db and the 4k band by 3 db to make it sound more natural. I'm not sure this would go away with burn-in

2. The change in sound with the knob is fairly noticeable, but it's a pity that the knob can't hold its place anywhere between the 2 extremes.

For male vocals and warmer female vocals these sound great to excellent except it's pretty coloured and far from neutral.

Of course the cable is a bugger - I've checked and it seems of the 3 major brands using the UE type connectors, only UM aligns it front - / rear +. Both UE and qdc adopts the UE alignment of front + / rear -, and most aftermarket cable makers adopts this alignment as well as default. Without comparison and without any info on its composition I'm not sure how good / bad the stock cable is.

Funny thing happened when I switch to a PS S+G cable with a PS 2.5-4.4 adaptor, the funky peak mentioned in 1 above seems to be rubbed off altogether. Possible causes I could imagine:
a. quality of cable (which I doubt would make that much a difference)
b. quality of the stock 2.5 to 4.4 adaptor
c. phase problem.........maybe it is the stock cable (not 3rd party cables) that is out of phase?! I have asked the PS folks about their +/- assignment to the 2 pins and see if that could shed some light.

With the PS cable I can really enjoy the sound without applying any tweaks. The vocals sound much more natural now and the drivers sound more coherent.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #278 of 553
Funny thing happened when I switch to a PS S+G cable with a PS 2.5-4.4 adaptor, the funky peak mentioned in 1 above seems to be rubbed off altogether. Possible causes I could imagine:
a. quality of cable (which I doubt would make that much a difference)
b. quality of the stock 2.5 to 4.4 adaptor
c. phase problem.........maybe it is the stock cable (not 3rd party cables) that is out of phase?! I have asked the PS folks about their +/- assignment to the 2 pins and see if that could shed some light.

With the PS cable I can really enjoy the sound without applying any tweaks. The vocals sound much more natural now and the drivers sound more coherent.

It's like hi-jacking this thread but whoa after the cable+adaptor swap I'm having so much fun with the 3DD now. The sound now is way less coloured, smooth and natural like a normal DD with punchy but non-distracting bass and a nice sparkle up top. No more noticeable peak.

When I have time I'll try the PS cable with the stock adaptor to see if the quirky peak I heard before was caused by the adaptor or otherwise the cable.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #282 of 553
Sep 23, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #283 of 553
I hope someone could chime in with some experience with the 3DD-ti soon. Mine is slow-cooked to medium-well now. It's getting lonely here..........

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #284 of 553
I hope someone could chime in with some experience with the 3DD-ti soon. Mine is slow-cooked to medium-well now. It's getting lonely here..........

And I still hope info would be released on the difference in each of the 3 drivers besides size........e.g. materials, firing directions etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back