Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Aug 7, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,246 of 1,469
I have just sold the B2, keeping the 3DT.
The 3DT is very easy to drive and not picky about the source. 3DT sounds grande, very dynamic and engaging. B2 is much more mid centric, a little boring, has a smaller stage. Better detail though.
I feel the 3DT is more special, the B2 is very good at the price but overall a little bland. If your library is very vocal focused the B2 might be better, especially with male vocals.
For classical music or EDM I think the 3DT is better.
Hope that helps
Thank you everyone for your input. 😊
Looks like am gonna join the 3DT fam. 😆

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,247 of 1,469
Thank you everyone for your input. 😊
Looks like am gonna join the 3DT fam. 😆
Welcome to the Club! You're gonna love it....

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,248 of 1,469
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,249 of 1,469
Been reading reviews and I am this close to buying 3DT, however can my M3X drive these without an issue? I only have that and nw-a25, any input will be appreciated.

Tbh, I am torn with moondrop b2 and 3DT. 😅
The M3X can drive the 3DT with no problems at all. I just sold the M3X in favour of the M6 Pro 21 but the M3X is an excellent player which pairs remarkably well with the 3DT. In fact I'm thinking of repurchasing it. It drove all of my IEMS including a couple of planars with no issue in low gain. To put it in perspective, the Lotoo PAW6000 only outputs 10mW on low gain as compared 101 with Dual DAC on the M3X. That little thing ran circles around the LP6K.

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,250 of 1,469
I receive my UM 3DT some days ago and have been enjoying them since.
While my expectation was immense due to those that suggest them to me, i'm very impressed by how cohesive and richly layered they sound.
The bass and vocal are marvelous and hide way more nuance than we think, for example, I encounter a rare phenomenon where the bass line has literally 2 layers of low frequencies that no single DD even Final A8000 could deliver....that's in mid-bass section, it do the same with the kick drum. I would not say the bass is better than A8000, due to its lower leaner extension down to 20hz, but mid and high-bass layering is.
The soundstage is holographic due to its great circular wideness and dense timbre that sculpt the sound more in 3D.
While not analytical or treble axed, the 3DT did deliver a high amount of details, but its how the wide layers of sound are presented that impress.
Female vocal are surely the best I heard under 500$, my fav was Dunu DK-2001 before that, 3DT has more open and wide and densely rich vocals, with a hint of sexy warmth. No sibilance is to be found.
Anyway....im not going to improvise a full review right now, just wanna share my first impressions, which are VERY positive!
I do think they scale up with amping and cleaner but dynamic audio sources.
Oh, and they need at least 15H of burn in for all these DDs to settle with my pair.
Oh....and cable is rather rubbish lol. I guess it's the way UM punish their budget consumers for finding that great of a mid-tier IEM value.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,251 of 1,469
While my expectation was immense due to those that suggest them to me, i'm very impressed by how cohesive and richly layered they sound.
The bass and vocal are marvelous and hide way more nuance than we think, for example, I encounter a rare phenomenon where the bass line has literally 2 layers of low frequencies that no single DD even Final A8000 could deliver....that's in mid-bass section, it do the same with the kick drum. I would not say the bass is better than A8000, due to its lower leaner extension down to 20hz, but mid and high-bass layering is.
The soundstage is holographic due to its great circular wideness and dense timbre that sculpt the sound more in 3D.
While not analytical or treble axed, the 3DT did deliver a high amount of details, but its how the wide layers of sound are presented that impress.
Female vocal are surely the best I heard under 500$, my fav was Dunu DK-2001 before that, 3DT has more open and wide and densely rich vocals, with a hint of sexy warmth. No sibilance is to be found.
Anyway....im not going to improvise a full review right now, just wanna share my first impressions, which are VERY positive!
Oh, and they need at least 15H of burn in for all these DDs to settle with my pair.
Oh....and cable is rather rubbish lol. I guess it's the way UM punish their budget consumers for finding that great of a mid-tier IEM value.
I agree. I'm using the 3DT with a Questyle 12 DAC/amp, and the 3dt sounds great. The 12 has an authoritative presentation which compliments the 3dt very well.....

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,252 of 1,469
I fully agree on your impression and especially, the stock cable! haha. I am using 8 core graphene cable for 3DT and it extends the frequency to both ends and widen the space perception a bit more. But I would rather choose the reasonably priced IEMs with low end stock cable, which allows me to choose the cable that fits my taste without paying extra money on the stock cable that I would end up not using at all.

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,253 of 1,469
I fully agree on your impression and especially, the stock cable! haha. I am using 8 core graphene cable for 3DT and it extends the frequency to both ends and widen the space perception a bit more. But I would rather choose the reasonably priced IEMs with low end stock cable, which allows me to choose the cable that fits my taste without paying extra money on the stock cable that I would end up not using at all.
I' am using a 1k cable, and it sounds magnificent....will never go back to sub 1k cable again...different level.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #1,254 of 1,469
I agree. I'm using the 3DT with a Questyle 12 DAC/amp, and the 3dt sounds great. The 12 has an authoritative presentation which compliments the 3dt very well.....
Authoritative presentation enh? I think you find the right pairing for sure then. My SMSL SU-9-SH-9 deskop stack isn't the best pairing, due to lack of dynamic authority. I guess THX amp is to blame here. Kind of a shame to say that one of best pairing yet is with a cheap 40$ chifi DAP, the Ziku X9 that use Cirrus AK4398 dac and have fowards weighty dynamic. But resolution isnt very good, its just for guilty pleasure here.

Any DAP that Very pair well with the 3DT?
I'm eying the QLS QA361 as my next buy...to replace my Ibasso DX90 (finally dead after 7 years!). Wonder how they pair.

And for cable....damn, 1K! What type of cable is it? I feel 3DT might like cable with lotta cores...clean but not too lean current transmission...

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,255 of 1,469
hehe, me too...in fact, i would prefer IEM without cable....so i don't have a pool fulfill of cables that take dust.
Did your graphene cable is a 1K$ one? Never heard any graphene cable....i tend to like decent litz cable. Even NiceHCK 16cores high purity copper cable isnt bad, and it cost like 12$.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,256 of 1,469
Authoritative presentation enh? I think you find the right pairing for sure then. My SMSL SU-9-SH-9 deskop stack isn't the best pairing, due to lack of dynamic authority. I guess THX amp is to blame here. Kind of a shame to say that one of best pairing yet is with a cheap 40$ chifi DAP, the Ziku X9 that use Cirrus AK4398 dac and have fowards weighty dynamic. But resolution isnt very good, its just for guilty pleasure here.

Any DAP that Very pair well with the 3DT?
I'm eying the QLS QA361 as my next buy...to replace my Ibasso DX90 (finally dead after 7 years!). Wonder how they pair.

And for cable....damn, 1K! What type of cable is it? I feel 3DT might like cable with lotta cores...clean but not too lean current transmission...
The synergy with the M8 is outstanding. If you want a DAP I suggest you try it. They had some software bugs, but after the last f/w update, mine has been running ok. The sound of the M8 is slightly warm, detailed, layered and musical. Everyone to a T agrees it sounds amazing, but a lot of people were turned off to the bugs, but like I said it's a lot better now.

The cable is the magnificent PWAudio Monile 1950. It is called a '4 wire' but there are 8 conducters, and it is fantastic, worth every penny...silver/copper hybrid...quantum level improvement.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/pwaudio/products/pwaudio-monile-ft-50s?variant=31558110412862

The 1 review is mine if you want to see my comments on it....

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,257 of 1,469
You’ll have no issues driving the 3DT it sounds great off an Apple dongle.
Yeah, I first got my 3DT about a month ago, and my first listen was with the iPhone/Apple dongle, Blackalicious' "Aural Pleasure". While not bass cannons by any means, I was immediately impressed with 3DT's bass timbre on this track, my head was bobbing along straight away. I bought these at the same time as Andro2020, as an all-DD alternative and for that they fit the bill nicely.

Yep, my desktop rig pushes the 3xDD's really well and tames the slight treble harshness apparent in some recordings, I think it's the warmth of the Bifrost doing this. I'm definitely using 3DT at my desk much more than I anticipated.

I've been sceptical in the past regarding burn in, but 3DT is a prime example of this being a very real thing, I think it took mine more like 50hours. Either that or it was the tip rolling adventure I went on before I really locked in on the 3DT's sound. I don't like harder silicon tips such as Azla's or Final's on 3DT both for comfort and the driver flex that makes me cringe every time I hear it. As others suggested, I tried the Tennmak foams which are pretty good, but I have found softer silicons like the stock ones and SpinFit CP100 to be the winner for now.

Oh....and cable is rather rubbish lol.
Ha Ha, yeah, the stock cable is the only real complaint I have with the 3DT. I mean, if Moondrop can package up a rather nice cable with the $80 Aria, what's up with UM here?? I bought a DUNU DUW02 anyways, as I like the ability to swap 3.5/2.5 jacks to use with my SR25 rather than messing with the 2-pin connectors all the time, and will get a 4.4 one eventually. But still, the stock cable is just kind of embarrassing for an IEM that retails for $400.

That said, considering 3DT as a complete package I'm very happy with the spot in my collection that it fills. I'm still in the exploring/accumulating stage of my headfi journey, so bang-for-buck is what I'm after just now, and the 3DT absolutely delivers. This was also my first significant blind buy, and first purchase from @MusicTeck . Won't be the last of either I'm sure!

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,258 of 1,469
hehe, me too...in fact, i would prefer IEM without cable....so i don't have a pool fulfill of cables that take dust.
Did your graphene cable is a 1K$ one? Never heard any graphene cable....i tend to like decent litz cable. Even NiceHCK 16cores high purity copper cable isnt bad, and it cost like 12$.
you will find similar graphene variants from nicehck (named darkjade), kbear (wide) and Linsoul (nymph). Mine is from XinHS, aliexpress seller. You will fine these at 55~75 during the sale. I won't recommend buying them at their usual price, which might be higher than 100$.
I prefer brighter sound signature, but if you prefer more warm and thick sound, then nice UPOCC cable works well with 3DT.

oh, also I have tried 10~20$ budget cable. I do noticed the difference between 10~20 ones and >50$ ones in terms of sound. I have no experience with much expensive cables but I was afraid of spending too much in cables. But 30$ extra to improve the sound won't be bad for 300$ IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,259 of 1,469
Yeah, I first got my 3DT about a month ago, and my first listen was with the iPhone/Apple dongle, Blackalicious' "Aural Pleasure". While not bass cannons by any means, I was immediately impressed with 3DT's bass timbre on this track, my head was bobbing along straight away. I bought these at the same time as Andro2020, as an all-DD alternative and for that they fit the bill nicely.

Yep, my desktop rig pushes the 3xDD's really well and tames the slight treble harshness apparent in some recordings, I think it's the warmth of the Bifrost doing this. I'm definitely using 3DT at my desk much more than I anticipated.

I've been sceptical in the past regarding burn in, but 3DT is a prime example of this being a very real thing, I think it took mine more like 50hours. Either that or it was the tip rolling adventure I went on before I really locked in on the 3DT's sound. I don't like harder silicon tips such as Azla's or Final's on 3DT both for comfort and the driver flex that makes me cringe every time I hear it. As others suggested, I tried the Tennmak foams which are pretty good, but I have found softer silicons like the stock ones and SpinFit CP100 to be the winner for now.

Ha Ha, yeah, the stock cable is the only real complaint I have with the 3DT. I mean, if Moondrop can package up a rather nice cable with the $80 Aria, what's up with UM here?? I bought a DUNU DUW02 anyways, as I like the ability to swap 3.5/2.5 jacks to use with my SR25 rather than messing with the 2-pin connectors all the time, and will get a 4.4 one eventually. But still, the stock cable is just kind of embarrassing for an IEM that retails for $400.

That said, considering 3DT as a complete package I'm very happy with the spot in my collection that it fills. I'm still in the exploring/accumulating stage of my headfi journey, so bang-for-buck is what I'm after just now, and the 3DT absolutely delivers. This was also my first significant blind buy, and first purchase from @MusicTeck . Won't be the last of either I'm sure!
Spinfit CP100, gotta try this one. Indeed, too hard silicone tips make my ears sore and i did choose the softer one included because the nozzle hole is quite big and the comfort is very nice. I like the KZ Starline too,but i'm not finished to try different eartips model.
The 3DT is quite big and have thick nozzle so it can be a bit tricky to find the right comfortable fit, but once it's done i don't have any issue and can listen tothem long time without discomfort.

I note something though. I did encounter quite a lot of DRIVER FLEX...especially in left ears strangely lol

Oh, you find nice the Aria cable? I wish it was 4 cores because mine was full of bent on arrival and their nothing to do to make it look good now. The CCZ PLUME cable is similar but use thicker cores and i love it. Still, ARIA are crazy good sounding IEM for the price, among the best imo. I use 4cores litz cable of Seeaudio YUME right now, sound is more wide and open, smoother too. My source at the moment is Audirect Atom2 (high gain unlock) and its barely enough to amp them properly...i mean, to get their full dynamic potential.

You do a very good choice with this Dunu modular cable, its the one included with my DK-2001 and I adore it. I even buy a mmcx to 2pin adapter so i can ''module''' it even more hehe. Quite a bargain this cable if you ask me. I prefer it to the fancier one included with the ZEN, which is more heavy and bit excited in brightness rendering imo

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,260 of 1,469
you will find similar graphene variants from nicehck (named darkjade), kbear (wide) and Linsoul (nymph). Mine is from XinHS, aliexpress seller. You will fine these at 55~75 during the sale. I won't recommend buying them at their usual price, which might be higher than 100$.
I prefer brighter sound signature, but if you prefer more warm and thick sound, then nice UPOCC cable works well with 3DT.

oh, also I have tried 10~20$ budget cable. I do noticed the difference between 10~20 ones and >50$ ones in terms of sound. I have no experience with much expensive cables but I was afraid of spending too much in cables. But 30$ extra to improve the sound won't be bad for 300$ IEMs.
OH! Thats far from 1K$, im hooked. Gonna try one of this cable, tx. For more warmth, I have plenty of solution (15$ Faaeal litz cable is nice).
I did try pure silver cable, wasnt a fan...like always, i find it make sound thinner and more tamed in dynamic, especially bass.
Stock cable can make lower treble a bit harsh, so it's already evident that 3DT is one of those IEM that benefit from cable upgrades.

Listening right now to Agnes Obel ''Myopia'', maaaan, i love the female vocal of 3DT, so wide and open and well-layered. Timbre is very natural too, dense but not opaque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back