Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #691 of 1,469
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #692 of 1,469
Mar 10, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #693 of 1,469
Well these were an interesting and nice surprise. I was very kindly lent the Penon Volt to audition and as someone I know wasn't a fan of the 3DT but another was a fan, I was offered these too. Instantly I wasn't terribly impressed with the Volt. Not that is is bad at all but a couple months with the Elysium and my sense of mids timbre has been changed and I don't seem to like BAs that much I guess. The 3DT just sounds more natural. There's a bit of a spike in the lower treble but for most of the acoustic music I listen to these sound fantastic.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #694 of 1,469
Well these were an interesting and nice surprise. I was very kindly lent the Penon Volt to audition and as someone I know wasn't a fan of the 3DT but another was a fan, I was offered these too. Instantly I wasn't terribly impressed with the Volt. Not that is is bad at all but a couple months with the Elysium and my sense of mids timbre has been changed and I don't seem to like BAs that much I guess. The 3DT just sounds more natural. There's a bit of a spike in the lower treble but for most of the acoustic music I listen to these sound fantastic.
The 3 DDs do sound more natural, but I think the Volt tuning is natural in that it isn’t over boosted. You probably don’t like a warmer, darker signature though, especially if you like the Elysium and 3DT tuning. It took me some time to get used to the Volt, but now I like how smooth and natural it sounds.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #695 of 1,469
The 3 DDs do sound more natural, but I think the Volt tuning is natural in that it isn’t over boosted. You probably don’t like a warmer, darker signature though, especially if you like the Elysium and 3DT tuning. It took me some time to get used to the Volt, but now I like how smooth and natural it sounds.
I'm sure you're right, at least partially.. I know that with time the ear adjusts. I don't find the Volt necessarily darker or warmer I think, it's more that there is a kind of "echoey" quality to the mids. It's similar to how during the Vision Ears tour, after I heard the VE treble, there was a similar echo in the treble of the VE8 in comparison.
I'm probably just crazy..
I'm going to listen to the Volt some more to get a better sense of them before I have to hand them off on Saturday.
The 3DT I have are modded to reduce some of the treble though.. I just really like the soundstage and natural decay of notes.. I'm sure it's partially familiarity with the dd mids of the Elysium so my ear is telling me it's "right" and reacting somewhat negatively to "different".
But in the end, I wasn't expecting much from the 3DT but I am pleased enough to buy the set off my friend who didn't like them.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #696 of 1,469
I'm sure you're right, at least partially.. I know that with time the ear adjusts. I don't find the Volt necessarily darker or warmer I think, it's more that there is a kind of "echoey" quality to the mids. It's similar to how during the Vision Ears tour, after I heard the VE treble, there was a similar echo in the treble of the VE8 in comparison.
I'm probably just crazy..
I'm going to listen to the Volt some more to get a better sense of them before I have to hand them off on Saturday.
The 3DT I have are modded to reduce some of the treble though.. I just really like the soundstage and natural decay of notes.. I'm sure it's partially familiarity with the dd mids of the Elysium so my ear is telling me it's "right" and reacting somewhat negatively to "different".
But in the end, I wasn't expecting much from the 3DT but I am pleased enough to buy the set off my friend who didn't like them.
How can u not possibly dig the 3DT?

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #697 of 1,469
How can u not possibly dig the 3DT?
I do! very much so! Some iems I try out and I jump around song to song, listening to bits an pieces with the mind of an "audition" and analysis.. Others I put on a track and then keep listening. The 3DT is the latter.. Just natural and fun and "right" for me... I bought them an hour later..

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #698 of 1,469
I'm also loving my 3DT. I don't know how they compare to TOTL IEMs (I'm more of a headphone guy and I have not heard many expensive IEMs), but I do know what sounds good. I think I got my money's worth...and then some.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #700 of 1,469
Not to mention the price! The price is nice and I hope i starts a long awaited trend of lower prices all around.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #701 of 1,469
Hello. Selling my 3DT. Original owner, low hours, like new. If I can figure out the new classifieds I’ll post there soon. PM if interested. Thanks

Update: Sold
Just curious, why did you sell them?

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #702 of 1,469
I've had my own 3DT for few days and in the unmodded state I find them a little bass light but at home they seem fine. It's funny though but out and about I feel like I can barely hear the bass.
What are the tips people are using? I haven't done a lot of a/b'ing with tips yet. Also any thoughts on balanced vs SE or impedance things to fine tune the sound?
I really like the timbre of the mids and the treble extension.. I just wish the bass would have a touch more authority and these would be fantastic..
But I have to remember the price too.. The mids are well above their price bracket to my ears.. Very natural sounding with acoustic instruments.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #703 of 1,469
I've had my own 3DT for few days and in the unmodded state I find them a little bass light but at home they seem fine. It's funny though but out and about I feel like I can barely hear the bass.
What are the tips people are using? I haven't done a lot of a/b'ing with tips yet. Also any thoughts on balanced vs SE or impedance things to fine tune the sound?
I really like the timbre of the mids and the treble extension.. I just wish the bass would have a touch more authority and these would be fantastic..
But I have to remember the price too.. The mids are well above their price bracket to my ears.. Very natural sounding with acoustic instruments.
1) At least 100hrs run.
2) Foam tips.
3)Ditch the stock cable.
4) Good to Go!☺️

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #704 of 1,469
I cycle between comply foams, yellow spinfits, or Azla sedna... depends on my mood!

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #705 of 1,469
Mine is over 110 hours, and I do not detect any shortage of bass. Using stock tips and stock cable only, tried spiral dots++, but could not get a good enough seal, just a little head tilt here and there and the seal will break in my right ear, weird, because in my left ear it's sticking as a glove. Ordered sedna earfit light short and regular light, let's see how do they turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back