Underwhelmed by HD800 - need amp suggestions
Jun 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

balu_613

New Head-Fier
I got an HD800 last week after reading all the great reviews it has gotten so far. Right out of the box, I found its sound very disappointing - harsh, sibilant and closed in. So I let it burn in over the weekend, and though the sound has opened up considerably, I still find it somewhat harsh and definitely not as enjoyable as my Denon D5000. I have so far used it with the following combinations:

- RWA Modified Olive -> Benchmark DAC1 (through the headphone out of the DAC)
- Pioneer Elite DV-79 (playing SACD or DVD-A) -> Headphone output of Portal Panache

The only dedicated headphone amp I have is the portable RSA Hornet. I'll be trying the combination (iMod -> RSA Hornet) tonight, but I doubt if that will extract the best out of the HD800. I would like to hear some recommendations for a decent headphone amp that matches well with HD800. I don't have a budget in mind - something costing about $1500 would be okay, but I'm basically a cheapskate and would prefer something that costs around $500. Also, I could be using this amp overseas, so something with an adjustable input voltage would be ideal.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by balu_613 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only dedicated headphone amp I have is the portable RSA Hornet. I'll be trying the combination (iMod -> RSA Hornet) tonight, but I doubt if that will extract the best out of the HD800.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iMod > Hornet actually sounded more listenable to you, even if it isn't using the HD800's to their potential. The DAC1, particularly via the built in amp has a reputation for being fairly cold and edgy sounding, which isnt going to pair well with neutral headphones.

There's a thread up for amp-matching the HD800's already:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/b...00-amp-427946/

Have a read through and see if any of them meet your criteria.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 18
The HD800 really shines with tubes. I can say the woo 6 really gives it the warmth, body and fullness it needs. I have the corda symphony and while it's a good solid state (not the best but good), it does not compare. It sounds thin and cold. If you want to spend $585, get the woo 6 but I heard that the woo 6 SE really sounds good.

If you read the HD800, many recommend the woo audio.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 18
At CanJam, the HD800s sounded wonderful out of some ss and some tube amps , and not so hot out of a couple excellent tube amps. The amps obviously had influence, but so did the sources used. I'm going to suggest changing sources before you write them off. My HD800s are not even close to being harsh, and I've listened out of a Exemplar modified Denon (tube) source > SP Extreme Platinum, and a pico amp/dac and my MacBook Pro. Some recordings didn't sound so hot, but that speaks more to the quality of the 800s rather than any fault.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 18
If you were to get the Woo 6 get it with the pseudo dual power supply or in my opinion, not at all. It is an important upgrade or get the Woo 6 SE.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 18
I would recommend the thread Covenant links to. For now, I am absolutely thrilled with my HD 800 SE into my Apache, and cannot wait for my balanced cables.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 18
You mentioned that you need an amp with adjustable voltage. I don't know how well they'd synergize with the HD-800, but you might want to look at Dr. Meier's Corda amps. They all have switchable voltage and most are easily portable. I'd look for some impressions of the HD-800 on his amps.

I'm planning to run my HD-800 on tubes - it'll be here on Friday and I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Although the amps I was initially using were a poor match for the 800 (leading to serious underwhelmage), the Benchmark DAC1 USB sounds great to me through the headphone jack. Big and punchy, tight bass, juicy mids.

The headphones also sound extremely different on different material - some songs are warm, some are bright, etc.

I'll have a Raptor to compare soon, and a PS Audio GCHA soon as well, but I am totally digging these through the Benchmark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the Benchmark DAC1 was a good match for the HD650, it is a poor match with the HD800.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone try the 800's with the new Sonnet amp with the blue paint?

IPodPJ was raving about that combo in the thread I linked. He apparently liked it more than the B52 pairing, under meet conditions and with different sources, of course
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 18
Regarding my earlier comments on the Benchmark and the 800s - The Benchmark seems to need some volume to really punch it out (I have it on the 14th detente, around 11 o'clock).

Lower than that and it does get dry and less vivid, and doesn't seem to mesh as well with the 800s.

The downside to cranking it up is that it burns you out faster, and I try not to listen too long with headphones at such a high volume.

But damn it sounds fantastic with the 800s when it is working it.

I'll see if the other amps I have on the way do better at lower volume.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 18
Hello, I heard the hd800 in a demo store with the lehmann audio black cube linear, which is a very neutral ss amp, i was blown away! I even preferred it over the phonitor. It was connected to a top notch nad cd-player.
I bought the woo audio wa2 before listening to the lehmann or I probbably would have bought that one.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 18
It may also be that the sound of the HD800 is not for you. I find the HD800 to have a slightly hot treble and a slightly lean bass, and the Denons sound very different from that. It may well be that if you like the Denon's sonic signature, you may never like the HD800's, no matter what amp you use.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 18
Did anyone try the 800's with the EarMax SE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back