Underwhelmed by HD800 - need amp suggestions
Jun 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by balu_613 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got an HD800 last week after reading all the great reviews it has gotten so far. Right out of the box, I found its sound very disappointing - harsh, sibilant and closed in. So I let it burn in over the weekend, and though the sound has opened up considerably, I still find it somewhat harsh and definitely not as enjoyable as my Denon D5000. I have so far used it with the following combinations:

- RWA Modified Olive -> Benchmark DAC1 (through the headphone out of the DAC)
- Pioneer Elite DV-79 (playing SACD or DVD-A) -> Headphone output of Portal Panache

The only dedicated headphone amp I have is the portable RSA Hornet. I'll be trying the combination (iMod -> RSA Hornet) tonight, but I doubt if that will extract the best out of the HD800. I would like to hear some recommendations for a decent headphone amp that matches well with HD800. I don't have a budget in mind - something costing about $1500 would be okay, but I'm basically a cheapskate and would prefer something that costs around $500. Also, I could be using this amp overseas, so something with an adjustable input voltage would be ideal.

HI,

today i tried the hd 800 with my x can v8.I was expecting sibilance to be an issue but that was not the case.They sounded very good and i can say that i overall prefered them to my hd 600(which i own and like it very much out of my v8)
I only noticed a very slight metalic feeling to the treble,(not sibilance)and a bit hollow sometimes(maybe because of the larger soundstage)but i really fell in love with them.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 18
If you're not completely satisfied TTVJ has a nice amp in your price range...The Fet-a...there are a bunch of reviews around on the site

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the thread Covenant links to. For now, I am absolutely thrilled with my HD 800 SE into my Apache, and cannot wait for my balanced cables.

Exactly my sentiments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back