Under the hood - Electrostatic amp photos
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #61 of 67
IMG_3845.jpeg

HIGH-AMP.DE Sirrah V3 - controversial
* hot glue use
* transformer sanded to fit chassis
* no insulation on mains plug
* cloth underneath pot to stop shorting
* transformer leads too close to input wires (no twisting)
* ballast resistor under rated for 600v
* design shows no CCS for VAS stage

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #63 of 67
The Soren KGSShv looks great! Here's a circa 2010 KGSShv build with 500V IXYS parts and onboard heat sinks. DACT stepped attenuator (every time I see an Alps Blue in otherwise nice gear, I get antsy to replace it). Out of like 4 - 5 KGSShv variants I've heard, this one is easily my favorite. Very neutral. Pairs well with any headphone. It's the cheapest I've heard a 007 Mk 1 be "properly" driven. I'm not sure I'd pick even a BHSE over this one. And the sound you get with this amp paired to ES1a is just incredible for the money. Unfortunately the top cover has poor ventilation, and is powder coated to boot - so it has heat dissipation issues. You know what (can) happens when an electrostatic amp overheats? First you hear noise, then distortion. With top off it runs clean (yes, dangerous) and reliably all day. I need to get some holes / slots drilled in, or just re-case it.

1678513422636.jpeg
I've read some interesting comments about these 500v KGSSHV builds. It's interesting since the Mjolnir carbon is built at 400v. It seems like the extra juice would just create heat issues and not really do much outside of increase the volume a few db.

@kevin gilmore what's your take on the extra v?

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #64 of 67
500v has more headroom before clipping. some people like it very loud. and the higher you go in voltage the more current you need.
the output transistors for the kgsshv are obsolete unless you happen to have a stock of them.

carbons are 450v max due to parts ratings. no way to increase the voltage with current production parts. which is why the felista amps at 500v blow up.

d&g is 750v and 40ma. the extra voltage requires the extra current.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #65 of 67
500v has more headroom before clipping. some people like it very loud. and the higher you go in voltage the more current you need.
the output transistors for the kgsshv are obsolete unless you happen to have a stock of them.

carbons are 450v max due to parts ratings. no way to increase the voltage with current production parts. which is why the felista amps at 500v blow up.

d&g is 750v and 40ma. the extra voltage requires the extra current.
d&g meaning Dolce & Gabbana?

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #67 of 67
Here are 2 photos of two other High-Amp Sirrah V3 amps. Just to add other examples to the photo which is always cited.
These photos are not mine and were provided by a fellow member of another message board, he has bought both amps directly from High-Amp and also owns an Alpha Centauri from High-Amp.

1.) Bought 08/2022, it was an offer, therefore either a pre-owned or remaining stock device, hence the little dust which can be seen. This amp has XLR in only.
Sirrah-Silber.jpeg

2. Bought in 10/2022 as newly build. This amp has XLR and RCA in and additional as per request RCA out.
Sirrah-Schwarz.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back