under 200 true sounding headphones for mixing
May 13, 2005 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

chris.d.m.

100+ Head-Fier
appreciate some help.

I have sony 7509's that I like pretty well and I think sound good in general...But, I don't think they are really "accurate / true" for mixing...

..as in mixing instruments for a cd release.

(good highs, heavy on the lows, possibly some vacancy on the mids).

Considering selling them and getting something, If it seems resonable, more accurate for this main purpose.

Grados...? or ?

Thanks for any advise w/ this.

May 13, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 34
I'm not an engineer, but I think the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 would be pretty good for this. It has a neutral sound, neither warm nor cold, with a slightly recessed midrange. It's closed, easy to drive, and comfortable for long wearing sessions, which I assume is important. It has a slightly unnaturally wide soundstage and is a little slow, but for $200, is probably one of the more neutral closed cans you can get.

May 13, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 34
Doubtful. Grados have a strong signature sound that tends to be great for rock and not as great for everything else. And they'll vangogh your ears if you wear them too long.

Edit: Oh, and a second for the Audio-Technica A900. They can be bought from Audio Cubes, just Google it. The Sennheiser HD595 might also be a good choice. Fairly neutral, they have the Sennheiser sound, but are balanced and sound good with all types of music. Extremely comfortable, don't require an amp (although they do benefit from it), but are open which may be an issue for studio use.

Oh, duh! AKG K271...well, that probably needs an amp to sound decent. If I recall there's a studio and non-studio version, the studio version (S at the end?) is like 600 ohms.

May 13, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 34
I'd say the Sennheiser HD280 or the AKG K271S. Both have coincidentally won studio industry awards. They aren't 'true' either in absolute terms but they would feel more like it, especially after the 7509.

May 13, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 34
I would take MS-1 over ATH-A900 for mixing if you can afford to have an open headphone for this.

Alessandros are definitely reference quality, IMHO.

It's hard to find good closed headphones in that price range.

You're always sacrificing something...but if you must, AKG271S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Doubtful. Grados have a strong signature sound that tends to be great for rock and not as great for everything else. And they'll vangogh your ears if you wear them too long.

Edit: Oh, and a second for the Audio-Technica A900. They can be bought from Audio Cubes, just Google it. The Sennheiser HD595 might also be a good choice. Fairly neutral, they have the Sennheiser sound, but are balanced and sound good with all types of music. Extremely comfortable, don't require an amp (although they do benefit from it), but are open which may be an issue for studio use.

Oh, duh! AKG K271...well, that probably needs an amp to sound decent. If I recall there's a studio and non-studio version, the studio version (S at the end?) is like 600 ohms.

May 13, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 34
appreciate the insights.

are the ms'1's alessandro's ?

re:

"I'd say the Sennheiser HD280 or the AKG K271S. Both have coincidentally won studio industry awards. They aren't 'true' either in absolute terms but they would feel more like it, especially after the 7509."

....I don't think the 7509's are "that " bad.

May 13, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 34
Well among the ones I have seen always in studios, are just a few, the 7506, 7509, the V700DJ, and some older AKG's, (honestly the rest suggested here, Grados senns, Alessandro's, etc...I never have seen them in studios, for good or bad...) Maybe there are some particular requirements for mixing, not sure which they are, or why they use only those most of the times, but there should be reasons that maybe we don't know (and not precisely the lack of funds IMO)

May 13, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 34
I'm a recording engineer who mixes on a regular basis and I started using the Sennheiser HD270, then the 7509, then the 7506, then the Sennheiser HD600.

The HD270 are ****.

The 7509 are very good for all the spectrum, but they tend to emphasize the low-end a lot. Which means you get a close look on the bass drum and bass player, which is good. The 7509 are also very easy on the ears.

The 7506 is the opposite of the 7509. Fatiguing, brittle highs and scooped low-mids. However, I use them when I have to check for noises and/or static because the analytical mids help a lot.

The HD600 is about as flat and boring you can get (from a 0 ohms jack) and I use them for mastering and mixing.

I think you should try the AKG 271S or the BeyerDynamic DT250. I heard the DT250 and it was awesome for a closed phone. Much better than both the Sonys. I never tried the AKG.

Another option is the AKG 240DF which is supposedly (never heard...) TRULY flat and accurate as hell. I might try them after my HD600 honeymoon.

May 14, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 34
Don't know exactly why those sony's and older akg's are the staples of most studio's / radio stations etc...maybe becouse they sound full, to some extent kinda lush, as well can handle louder volumes.

To me the bass is extended and the mids a bit lacking (atleast w/ my old akg standards and to a much lesser degree the 7509's).

Maybe they're just the most well known and an easy choice..."well if these guy's or that studio use them then...I guess they're a good choice".

BUT...For mixing / and truth considerations, I think that's a different consideration than "Play-back / what sounds good for the musician, singer".

May 14, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.d.m.
Don't know exactly why those sony's and older akg's are the staples of most studio's / radio stations etc...maybe becouse they sound full, to some extent kinda lush, as well can handle louder volumes.

To me the bass is extended and the mids a bit lacking (atleast w/ my old akg standards and to a much lesser degree the 7509's).

Maybe they're just the most well known and an easy choice..."well if these guy's or that studio use them then...I guess they're a good choice".

BUT...For mixing / and truth considerations, I think that's a different consideration than "Play-back / what sounds good for the musician, singer".

These headphones (AKG 240M/DF, Sony 7506, Senn HD280) are used mainly for the musicien's 'feedback' while tracking, where isolation and comfort are the main concern, they don't need a true monitor sound for that purpose.

Get some Senn HD25-1, one of the best monitor grade closed phone under $200.
BTW it can be a little tricky to mix only with a closed phone, but if you're on a tight budget, start with HD25-1, it's a workhorse in the industry. You won't regret.

May 14, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I'd say the Sennheiser HD280 or the AKG K271S. Both have coincidentally won studio industry awards. They aren't 'true' either in absolute terms but they would feel more like it, especially after the 7509.

Yes.

Head-Fi isn't exactly the best place to go to answer your question. You will be incredibly frustrated if you try to mix/master with Grados.

If you're unsatisfied with the 7509's, bangraman's recommendations are on the money. Don't sacrifice neutrality for a "fun" sounding can: you can always listen to the finished tracks on any phone you like. The finished product will certainly suffer if you're not monitoring with the proper equipment.

May 14, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 34
I second/third/whatever the AKG k271. The A900 midrange is not as detailed as the k271. The current k271's are 55 ohms, and should sound good out of your studio mixer. If you were to drive them from a PC soundcard, I would suggest an amp to get the bass more accurate. The k271 is slightly warm in the mids, so you may want to keep that in mind when you're mixing. The bass is much tighter and faster than the 7506 or dj700, but I have not heard the 7509 yet. The 271's respond very well to EQ'ing, the sound change is immediate. They were designed for studio monitoring
wink.gif

Just be sure to give them at least several hours to break-in, and then listen to some tracks similar to the style you're going for so you can tell whats the headphones and whats in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back