[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Nov 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #106 of 344
The KEF are not fully "ROON ready" as they can not use RAAT. Bui they can act as an endpoint, just cant group them with other zones.
I still use a RPi with hifiberry digi+ pro hat ro drive them.

i have an ipad mini 4...was to use ipeng app from what i've read.
i also need either a sonictransporter i5 (anyone wants to sell me one?) or build my own nuc.

i only have 2 rooms.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #107 of 344
I went the NUC route. Very convenient, I also use RoPieee with a 7" screen on the Rpi/hifiberry. Puts a nice screen next to my TV to see what paying and have some control.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #108 of 344
Hello - thank you for posting your un-boxing. I am thinking about getting these, do you know if they run full range or if you connect a subwoofer they send 80hz or below to the subwoofer?

thank you

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #110 of 344
They are 45Hz-28kHz depends on settings, you can connect a sub and control the low pass via the app.
Here's a screen shot for the spec sheet found on kefdirect.com
Screenshot_20171123-184211.png

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #111 of 344
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #112 of 344
see my response above, forgot to quote you so you would get a notice.
Hello - thank you for posting your un-boxing. I am thinking about getting these, do you know if they run full range or if you connect a subwoofer they send 80hz or below to the subwoofer?

thank you

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #114 of 344
did you just follow this route?
http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

i'm also considering this nuc (DIY) route vs a sonictransporter i5

if you're not going to go the roon route for a while, you can just use minimserver as a media server. install minimserver on your nas or a computer running full time. you'd then just the using the dlna/upnp capabilities in the ls50w. then add a nuc (running rock) or a sonictransporter i5 when you go to roon.

edit: installing rock on a nuc is a piece of cake. it's so easy, calling it diy makes it sound more complicated than it is.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #116 of 344
hey guys, thanks...i already have a roon lifetime subscription.

andrew from sgc is offering bundles for blk friday, and one of them
had the sonictranporter i5 with a linear power supply and ultrarendu as below.
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/black-friday-deals/products/wonderful-bundle-6

but another person in the AV forum suggested that since the Kef ls50 wireless are now Roon endpoints then
i might no longer need to buy an additional MR or linear power supply

( which i have an mr and lps 1 for my desktop speakers) ...that some people who have the kefs and Roon
are now able to sell their MR as the sound quality with Roon integration is pretty good ...see below.

thoughts?

me:
but i always thought a microrendu would enhance the feed going to the DAC ...that the usb feed (to dac) from ethernet is cleaner with MR in place

---End Quote---

reply:
Roon integration is really good. A lot of people have sold their micro Rendu a or ultra Rendu once it came out. Look on the computer audiophile forum.

-----------

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #117 of 344
My mom also just got the KEF and then bought an OPPO 203 (ROON Ready!!) so she can use it to feed the KEF.
The cool part is that he OPPO then puts the ROON album art etc on the TV screen she tells me.
I have not seen this yet, will be back at her place for Christmas and will check it out then.

I might have to get a new Oppo now......

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #118 of 344
well i'm now an official member of the kef club as I just ordered a pair of the white ls50w.

to be safe i also took out a 5 yr extended warranty for only cdn$250...i usually don't on electronics but given some of the issues with these babies, i thought it best to do that...will help
with resale, as well...isoacoustic aperta silver/aluminum stands coming next week.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #119 of 344
guys....i'm now researching subs...hsu, kef's new subs, sunfire etc.
(but admittedly love the dsp/eq modes in the new kef subs)

also reading of how 2 subs deal better with standing waves and room acoustics than does just one.
so i emailed kef and they said that, despite the active speaker only having one sub out,
that i can run 2 subs in my system:...
''You will need an RCA Y adapter cable. One end will have a single RCA
to connect to the LS50W, the other end will have two RCAs, one for each subwoofer.''

anyone running 2 subs in their system?
my place is small 11' wide by 14' deep and with another 11' behind me into an open kitchen.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #120 of 344
guys....i'm now researching subs...hsu, kef's new subs, sunfire etc.
(but admittedly love the dsp/eq modes in the new kef subs)

also reading of how 2 subs deal better with standing waves and room acoustics than does just one.
so i emailed kef and they said that, despite the active speaker only having one sub out,
that i can run 2 subs in my system:...
''You will need an RCA Y adapter cable. One end will have a single RCA
to connect to the LS50W, the other end will have two RCAs, one for each subwoofer.''

anyone running 2 subs in their system?
my place is small 11' wide by 14' deep and with another 11' behind me into an open kitchen.

I've auditioned those LS50's and they do satisfy the ears for detail but depending on the room configuration the bass might be lacking.

If I were to search for subs I'd do research on active subs that are known for musical character. Kef subs have never had the reputation for being stellar performers. I use Kef speakers for my home theater setup but I'm a Totem acoustic owner too. If I wanted to add a sub for your application I'd also consider totem subs.

Do not put the speakers in a shelf or close to a wall. You'd want the ports in the back of the speaker to have some room to breath.

If you've ever auditioned a Kef R100 bookshelf it has a very similar sound signature to the Kef LS50. I've run my R100 with a Simaudio amplifier and it sounds very good with a nice refined treble. Bass is taught just like the LS50 and the glossy cabinet is just as beefy and heavy like the non amplified LS50. The beauty of the wireless LS50 is the clean and powerful amplification.

I'd honestly get one sub and see how it performs in your room. You can move it around the room to hear audible differences in how it reacts with the room acoustics. Room positioning and room tuning is just as critical as the gear in many cases.

Depending the kind of music you listen too I would just listen to the setup as is. The Kef driver needs to be broken in. I'm not jaded...... the speakers suspension and other components in the speaker needs to relax and you'll notice a difference in how the music flows. Fresh kef drivers will sound better over time. This is definitely NOT your "brain conditioning". I found with my R100 and R300 the speaker just improved in SQ especially the mids and lows. The cross over in the Ls50 has a very pleasant treble. Now the new Q series (cheaper line) has modified the cross over as it seems they are tuning the speakers more for laminate hard wood floors the creates terrible reflection.

I've tested my R300 with Simaudio amplifier and in my room which is aprox 11' by 22" does NOT need a sub. The large bookshelf true 3 way (not common these days) has a warmer less fast presentation than my R100 (your ls50) but when the R300 were new they sounded muddy. Now that I put many hours on them over time the R300 would shake even your room configuration without a sub.

I'll have to say the imaging from Kef's proprietary speaker Q driver is very good especially for the price. If you want that full body sound you will need to fill in the lower frequency with a sub.

I like to tweak but my typical thing to do is to use a Blue circle Canadian made passive power conditioner and Audio Sensibility (CDN made) power cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back