[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Jan 12, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #139 of 344
thanks, I have fiddled with the settings but it did not improve much...maybe better solid stands may help and I need to experiment with room placement

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #141 of 344
Boomy Bass... I have a small listening room. My solution to the bass boom is to use advanced settings to -5,5db Bass, and +2 onTreble in the KEF Setup. In addition, I have installed 10 acoustic panels (2” Roxul rock wool). I also play with the DSP in Roon when necessary. To my old (70) ears, this works really well. I also use the iOS app Analyzer (with full spectrum Pink Noise) to locate peaks around the room and to ensure my sweet spot does not have any nasty peaks. My speakers are on sand filled stands, with the tweeter at ear height. I like to toe them in such that I see a sliver of the inside walls of the enclosure from my listening chair. I use an 8’ triangle setup.

Now I listen to the LS50W speakers much more than headphones. I love the “feel” of the sound in my body, and the the fantastic sound stage and instrument separation.

I agree that the run in is about 200 hours.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #142 of 344
Yep, agree with whats been said for settings and stands. My KEF are getting a lot of time on them vs my headphones lately, also.

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #143 of 344
they are sounding better already after a bit of experimentation with settings and positioning...lets see how they progress in time....and I also need to get some dedicated stands for them

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #144 of 344
just installed my new set of LS50 wireless....I find the mid/bass a bit boomy and overbearing....do you guys think this will change with burn-in?

Are you using stable speaker stands?? Auralex (other brands) foam pads? Iso acoustics?

I truly feel speakers can change with burn in. Speaker suspension IMO can slightly change as breakin occurs.

I guess we can rule out the amplification to a certain degree. What is your source?

I found with my Kef R100 (very similar to LS50 IMO) it had a sound like restriction. Hard to describe but the speaker had some restricted sound but over time they opened up and the bass relaxed. I know my R300 sounded muddy initially but breakin the speakers became more "accurate" and clarity improved. Price point the R300 is an extremely nice speaker IMO.

I would give the LS50 some more time to breakin'........

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #145 of 344
they are sounding better already after a bit of experimentation with settings and positioning...lets see how they progress in time....and I also need to get some dedicated stands for them

You do not really need to toe in those speakers. The Kef uniQ speakers sound dispersion is very good with excellent imaging.

Room acoustics and speaker stands can play a large role in how the speakers sounds. Pick up some 2+ inch thick Maple wood boards underneath the speakers or speaker spikes (tonne of stuff on the market). Tweaking is personal fun stuff!!

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #146 of 344
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

I have the LS50s on marble stands [53cm high] and Iso Acoustic stands in between.

The marble stands are from my Norh Marble 9 speakers and may not be ideal so I will be on the lookout for dedicated stands soon...

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #147 of 344
just installed my new set of LS50 wireless....I find the mid/bass a bit boomy and overbearing....do you guys think this will change with burn-in?

No, because while the resonant frequency might move around 3Hz, it would be a miracle if the room mode that was being excited was exactly the same frequency as the free air resonance frequency of your driver. Your best bet is to either move the speakers further from the walls, or run a sweep with Room EQ Wizard, figure out which frequency range is being excited, and then EQ the fundamental frequency down with something like Equalizer APO.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #148 of 344
with regards to stands I am ordering these...any thoughts?

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/hms-2-1-speaker-stands-600mm-23-6-supplied-as-a-pair

t465_57b3a16686863599ead5759cd1853168.jpg

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #149 of 344
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #150 of 344
24" is the recommended height for this size of speaker...any higher would be above ear level for most sitting situations on a sofa or couch...at least for my height and furniture choices:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back