Unamped HD650: Bass?
Dec 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

miloxo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Headfi,

Im currently running my HD650 unamped, straight out my DAC (musiland SVDAC06).
I have read that the HD650s needs some serious desktop equipment to shine (im planning on a Lafigaro 339, or even balanced with LD MKVI), but I still love the whole thing even unamped. But one thing does worry me though. Im not a basshead, but I find my AD700s just slightly less bassy then the H650. And the AD700s are know to be very bass light which I agree on.

Do the HD650 lack so much bass quantity unamped compared to amped?

I tried the search function but I could not find much.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 8
The HD 650's sound worser than the HD 555 (both unamped). I know this for sure as I bought the two headphones at the same time and tested them out. I liked the HD 555 a lot more. So from that, you can tell the headphone is pretty c*** unamped. You're missing out on a lot. Asking a question about unamping HD 650's is just a waste of your time and money. If you wanted an unamped sennheiser, the HD 555 would've done your ears and wallet a lot better.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 8
^ I have done my research, and I DO PLAN on buying a headphone amp, like I have said already.... please read before you post...

Im asking if the bass quantity improves with an amp. Right now they have just a tad more bass then the AD700s, which are very bass light.
And I still prefer the HD650 over my AD700s. Everything is better, just expected a bit more bass quantity.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 8
^ thanks, thats what I wanted to hear!

How is the bass amped compared to your HD25? I like my HD25 bass, little bit less quantity would be fine though.
How much does the quantity increase if you switch from your STX headphone out/cowon to your asgard?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
^ I have done my research, and I DO PLAN on buying a headphone amp, like I have said already.... please read before you post...

Im asking if the bass quantity improves with an amp. Right now they have just a tad more bass then the AD700s, which are very bass light.
And I still prefer the HD650 over my AD700s. Everything is better, just expected a bit more bass quantity.

please read before you reply.  I have indirectly told you that you're "missing out on a lot". What would that mean to you?

Quote:
^ thanks, thats what I wanted to hear!

How is the bass amped compared to your HD25? I like my HD25 bass, little bit less quantity would be fine though.
How much does the quantity increase if you switch from your STX headphone out/cowon to your asgard?

Switching from a STX headphone out to a Lehmann BCL I did not experience much jump in bass.  

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Sorry if i sounded a bit rude, but it seemed to me that you didnt read my post: "Asking a question about unamping HD 650's is just a waste of your time and money"  Its not a waste of money and time because I already did plan on buying a headphone amp. I figured that out before I even bought the HD650.

But maybe the HD650s are not for me then, if the bass quantity is not going to improve with an amp. But almost as bass light as my AD700s does worry me a bit though 
confused.gif
  I find my HD25 have almost a bit too much bass, and according to the Headroom graphs the HD650 are only slightly less bassy then the HD25s...

frown.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Sorry if i sounded a bit rude, but it seemed to me that you didnt read my post: "Asking a question about unamping HD 650's is just a waste of your time and money"  Its not a waste of money and time because I already did plan on buying a headphone amp. I figured that out before I even bought the HD650.

But maybe the HD650s are not for me then, if the bass quantity is not going to improve with an amp. But almost as bass light as my AD700s does worry me a bit though 
confused.gif
  I find my HD25 have almost a bit too much bass, and according to the Headroom graphs the HD650 are only slightly less bassy then the HD25s...

frown.gif

Relax. HD 650 is reference class headphones. You can't really go wrong if you buy it unless you're picky like the rest here. I find the bass in my HD 650 using Lehmann BCL amp/STX card to be very heavy but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back