UmeVoice TheBoom Quiet...does anyone have it?
Aug 10, 2006 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DReborn

New Head-Fier
I read the review of these seemingly impressive cans over at treocentral (http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/848-1.htm) and they seem perfect for me but I can't find ANYONE else who has even heard of them.

The main pulling factor for me is the attached mic that i could use for PC use/gaming or even as a cell phone headset.

obviously their main use will be listening to music from my pc and ipod and used on airplanes.

should i stay away or give these guys a shot?

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 13
Without having experience of these, I would have to say that you should go with some more well known brands for closed cans. Try something from Beyer. They have so very great options.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 13
thanks for your quick reply and blunt response. I like these forums already. =)

any recs on the beyers?

edit: i did notice that the beyers didn't have any high quality music headsets with a mic capability. It really would be nice to the best of both worlds but not a complete deal breaker.

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 13
since the Ume are reletively expensive (~300) can someone recommend better cans for that price? my one thing is that I need them to be portable so it would be great if they folded.

I know the "best" travel earphones would be an in ear set but they are just not as comfortable for me for long periods of time.

Aug 14, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote from article "While the shelf life of any Sony product is usually a year or two, they've made the V6s for so long simply because at $100.00 retail, you'd be hard pressed to find better-sounding headphones at triple the price."

Not to discredit the author, but that seems like a wild, unsubstantiated and utterly false statement. Calling V6 better than a 580, 880, K701, etc....

Anyways, for quality sound + attached mic + folding it can be difficult to find something that will work well. However something like the Sennheiser HDM280Pro would most likely do that wonderfully. Other options if folding and an attached mic isn't required would be to get a clip-on mic and some Audio-Technicia A900 or A500. If you would prefer headphones that DON'T block outside noise, the Sennheiser HD555 or HD595 would both work well.

Those suggestions are based on the fact that I'm assuming you are not using any kind of headphone amp, and are probably just using the output of your computer or headphone jack of your speakers, correct?

Aug 14, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 13
thx for ur very helpful reply, really appreciate it since headphones are relatively new for me.

the mic is a nice bonus but not necessary since I won't be using it 97 % of the time. folding and being portable is a neccessity however.

and no I won't have a headphone amp. I will be listening to them throug my pc soundcard, stereo receiver, and ipod.

I will check out the cans u recommended...ill post back shortly

thx again

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
Quote from article "While the shelf life of any Sony product is usually a year or two, they've made the V6s for so long simply because at $100.00 retail, you'd be hard pressed to find better-sounding headphones at triple the price."

Not to discredit the author, but that seems like a wild, unsubstantiated and utterly false statement. Calling V6 better than a 580, 880, K701, etc....

Anyways, for quality sound + attached mic + folding it can be difficult to find something that will work well. However something like the Sennheiser HDM280Pro would most likely do that wonderfully. Other options if folding and an attached mic isn't required would be to get a clip-on mic and some Audio-Technicia A900 or A500. If you would prefer headphones that DON'T block outside noise, the Sennheiser HD555 or HD595 would both work well.

Those suggestions are based on the fact that I'm assuming you are not using any kind of headphone amp, and are probably just using the output of your computer or headphone jack of your speakers, correct?

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 13
it seems like 99 percent of all high end headphones are not collapsible nor portable. i guess that's why people have one pair of big cans at home and then a travel set like the shure in ear.

i guess i will have to try the Ume Boom Quiet and see if it can do what I want. if not, then i will return it and get a high quality home set of cans and then a travel in ear. =)

unless i am missing some other portable headphones (that aren't in ear)? please dont make me buy the bose QC3... =)

Aug 14, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 13
thanks, they looked pretty sweet but...

"The headbands clamping force of the HS 300 is about 2 Newton higher than that of the 770. We don't recommend you bend it. A coiled cable is not available.

Please notice that the sound quality of the HS 300 is not that good than that of the DT 770 because it is optimized for communication in noisy airplanes. The microphone is equipped with a pre-amplifier and cannot be connected to computer soundcards.

Delivery time of the HS 300 is about three weeks right now."

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 13
any other recs for portale headphones? are in ear my only option besides these ume and bose??

note: I just received the ume (30 day trial) and I am somewhat impressed. the build quality and total package is near perfect. the sound isn't extraordinary however. I unfortunately have nothing to compare it to but they don't 'wow' me. they are good but they don't bowl me over. they might be, overall, though the best choice for what I want.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 13
DReborn--
It's been a while, and I'm still in the position that you are--I can't really find a decent 3rd-party review of TheBoom Quiet. 

Questions:
  • Can you turn the ANR on/off?
  • How is the audio quality with ANR on? off?
  • Does the active noise cancellation work well? 
  • Are there mute and/or volume controls on the cord?
  • You noted that the build quality was very good--how has it held up over time?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back