Ultrasones for First Headphone Purchase?
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

corsabrin

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for my first set of quality headphones and Ultrasone has caught my eye.   Here are the models I am considering:

HFI-580:  I like the idea of a good low end and a detailed top end, but the recessed mids I keep reading about has me worried a bit.

HFI-680:  Seem like a more balanced choice with the mids being less recessed and the treble and bass not as pronounced as the HFI-580.

HFI-780:  I keep reading about how the treble is really hot on this model and I have sensitive ears when it come to harsh or too bright treble so I think these are out.

ATH M50:  These seem to be the most recommended HP for the first time buyer, but the U shape curve has me worried.

SRH-840:  This was my original first choice (and the only one I have had a chance to listen to), but they seem to analytical and therefore boring to me.  I think I would prefer a more fun headphone.

I listen to a lot of female vocalists (Loreena McKennit, Enya, Delerium, Enigma, Sara Brightman, etc.) and would prefer a HP that would have a warm presentation for vocals, which is why a recessed mid range may turn me off.  I also listen to some music where good bass is appreciated, so I don't want to give too much bass up for better highs and mids.  I guess I am looking for a good all around fun sounding headphone.

My budget is $200 and I am leaning towards the HFI-680's and looking for opinions on these HP or any other suggestions for a first headphone choice.  I think I will be buying a portable amp soon (e11 maybe) and using my iPod Touch with lossless files as the source.

I am very familiar with home theatre, but headphones are a new world to me and I am excited to learn as much as I can!  My interest in headphones comes from my wife and I have a new baby and I can't listen to my speakers as much as I used to, especially at night and I miss the relaxing time I used to have enjoying music.

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I would say HFI-580, the other ultrasones might not even be concidered an upgrade for you, HFI-580 is concidered as the most forward/engaging/"fun" sounding of the HFI line at least and the higher you go more "analytical" it gets, the HFI-580 are very different to the SRH840. The vocals shouldn't be THAT bad on it either. 680 are more balanced than HFI-580 as in bass is a bit lower and upperhighs not as rolled-off.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 5
So the 580's recessed mids shouldn't be a problem when listening to vocals and strings instruments?  I was thinking the 680's would be a better choice, but you say they are more anaylitcal?  I don't own the 840's, I have only listened to them for a short time and I didn't like how flat and boring they sounded.

I am looking at the Ultrasones partly due to their S-Logic and claims that you can listen at lower volumes than other headphones.  I know this may just be marketing hype, but I have slightly damaged hearing and their technology claims have me leaning in their direction.  Now if they claimed they soak their drivers in unicorn tears which gives their headphones a 'mythical' sound, then I would call shenanigans, but so far S-Logic had me intrigued.

Are there any other headphones to suggest for the types of music I listen to in my price range or is Ultrasone a good start?  I like a nice sound stage with good separation and I don't want vocals to be buried in the back so to speak.  I listen to a lot of Celtic, Rock, Acoustic and even some Rap and House mixes.  Most of the music I prefer has female vocals with string and percussion instruments so I would like to focus on a HP that does that well, but can also satisfy my bass preferences as well.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 5
the hfi 680 is smoother than 580 and 780,, i think its the most balance closed ultrasone in HFI lines,, so ill pick the 680 if you want to go ultrasone,, if you like the s logic presentation i think it will do wonder with classic or new age stuff.....

the m50 is more all rounder because of its dark/smoother sound and relatively laid back mids that will cover bad recording..

the srh840 is the most neutral,, and the most "open" sounding.. the separation and sound stage is also better than the m50 and the ultrasone.. great for jazz and classical stuff,, but maybe lacking some weight if compared to ultrasone or the m50 and its not very good for rock or metal music that need more weight and bass..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back