Ultrasone Zino - A Painful Experience
Oct 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
I had these for one day before I sent them back.

I first remember when I bought them, I was really hoping they would be a comfortable and good sounding set. I needed a smaller headphone for "comfort" listening that didn't take as much head space as my AD700, so I was in search of a nice portable. The Zino had caught my eye in the past, so I decided to buy them. My hopes were high they would be very comfortable, relatively small, and great sounding. So, I ordered when I saw their fantastic price on Amazon for only $53!

As soon as they arrived, I noticed how much bigger they looked in person than in the pictures. For me, that was a little deceiving, as I was really hoping for something a bit smaller. Oh well, that doesn't really matter much. So, I continued to open the package. Once opened, I examined the build quality and functions of the headphone. In a word, "disappointing". They weren't really built all that well, and were constructed of a cheap plastic. The headband was very thin, and looked very fragile -- and also didn't have padding. The finish on the earpieces did in fact look pretty good, as it's quite a flashy headphone overall -- but that is about the only compliment I have for "external appearance". Next up was the cord. Very rubbery and flexible, but it had bad memory retention. But the biggest problem was the kinky cord. There were a lot of kinks in it -- some of which right at the connector. That worried me.

Okay. Now onto the important bits. Sound & Comfort.

As soon as I stuck them on my head, I was instantly disappointed. No people, these aren't that comfortable. The headband is pretty awful, as you can feel it on top of your head really easily. It's too thin, has the wrong shape, and has no padding. Not only was the comfort "not that great", but the ergonomics of the Zino were pretty awful as well. These simply would not stay on my head. I had to put them on at weird angles to make them fit, and even after that, they would fall off if I moved my head even a little. Sigh. Comfort and fit is not as good as I hoped, so I really hope their sound saves them...

After all my initial disappointment, I plugged them into my iAudio 7, and started on a track from the "Inception" soundtrack.

"Worst sounding headphone I have ever listened to"

These were absolutely abysmal! The sound was unbelievably sizzling hot, and extremely metallic! It would pierce right through to my eardrum and make me cringe in pain. It was so bad in fact, I couldn't even finish any of the songs I tested them with! The sound has redefined what the word "Hollow" means -- as I have never heard music (or sound in general) so small. It honestly sounded like someone seriously messed up the EQ when using the Apple iBuds! Yes, I said it. I even tried a pair of iBuds next to these, and I even preferred those over the Zino! That is something I never thought I would say...

I thought burn in would help, so I gave them about 20 hours. I went back and listened to the same song from "Inception" again, as well as a few others. No change whatsoever. They were still extremely painful to listen to -- and I had no further desire to ever hear them again. After this, I almost "instantly" packaged up the Zino and literally "rushed" them to the Post Office to mail them off for a refund. Never have I so badly wanted something out of my sight!

So, was the Zino worth the price of $50? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even pay $20 for them. And no, I'm not even kidding.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Ouch, I wonder if their nuforce counterparts sound any better. 

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
As soon as I stuck them on my head, I was instantly disappointed. No people, these aren't that comfortable. The headband is pretty awful, as you can feel it on top of your head really easily. It's too thin, has the wrong shape, and has no padding. Not only was the comfort "not that great", but the ergonomics of the Zino were pretty awful as well. These simply would not stay on my head. I had to put them on at weird angles to make them fit, and even after that, they would fall off if I moved my head even a little. Sigh. Comfort and fit is not as good as I hoped, so I really hope their sound saves them...

Aren't those around the back of the headphones? So you  don't wear them like normal headphones you move the headband behind your head. This could be why they sounded so bad aswell cause you didn't have them on right.

Oh wait no their not to bad they sucked.

http://www.touchmyapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hp-review-zino-wear-02.jpg

Thats them worn so no it's not around the back of the head.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 14
Don't worry, I wore them right. In fact, I wore them many different ways -- just to make sure there wasn't a fit better than the standard.

Unfortunately, all of the other "different" ways I tried to wear them, failed miserably. So the normal position is as good as it gets...

The problem is, if you wear them "proper", then they slide off your head. And if you put the headband back a bit, then they slide off the back.

Remember, there is no swivel whatsoever, so it's really just luck. Luck that the size and shape of your head conforms to the awkward Zino...

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 14
You need to check out joker's portable headphone thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-49-portable-headphones-compared-earsquake-pixi-and-philips-shl1600-added-10-01

Looks like you might like the Maxell DHP-II

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 14
Yup, already have. I have read that thread (and his IEM one) a million times. Absolutely magnificent!

I actually read his "Zino" review again right before I ordered -- to familiarize myself with what I'm getting into.

Well, he obviously didn't have an experience like mine, because he gave it a 6 in SQ department...

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Yup, already have. I have read that thread (and his IEM) a million times. Absolutely magnificent!

I actually read his "Zino" review right before I ordered -- to familiarize myself with what I'm getting into.

Well, he obviously didn't have an experience like mine, because he gave it a 6 in SQ department...

Indeed that man deserves so much for those thread. I refer to those ALL THE TIME especially when people talk about IEM's.

Well the DHP-II did get a 9 in comfort and a 7 in sound and are less than $50...

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 14
From my experience with the Zino, the bass is full and with a great deal of weight behind it.  Metallic sounding was the case during the first 20 to 40-hours of use.  After that though the sound began to smooth out.  More so with the amp I decided to pair it with (C&C F1 - Much more control, tighter fuller bass, sweeter treble to mid-range transition).  As for comfort, I trust everybody's head is different so comfort wise would be rather high with my head and ears.  It is somewhat noticeable, but it doesn't slide off my head and since I don't rock my head around like Chris Farley, then I don't really have a problem with these headphones.

I have owned the Zino for more than eight months now and I am very impress with the sound stage imaging, dynamics, and overall smooth sounding demeanor.  The only downside I can say about it is the fact all of these attributes only come out when properly amplified and the amp I chose to use these headphones with more than satisfies the opinion I give about them.

Everyone has different listening and comfort tastes.  I respect everybody's opinion.

Have a great week and weekend.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 14
I heard some broken in Zinos for just a few minutes and I thought they sounded awesome so I bought a pair (and have thoroughly enjoyed them)... I can't imagine why they sounded so terrible for you, it is definitely a different type of sound signature, the s-logic is more prominent in the Zinos then any other Ultrasone I have owned (and I have owned quite a few), but the different sound is what makes them interesting, I wouldn't want all my headphones to sound the same. It may not be the best phone for a all arounder, but its sure awesome for dance/techno/house music and movies/tv shows on my mac/ipad :))).

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 14
I have owned my Zino's for quite some time and still love to grab them for long listens on the go.  I have never quite understood why they were never very popular.  Maybe it has something to do with the Ultrasone sound?  I like the bass.  Highs can sometimes lean towards the harsh side...but not too bad. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I have owned my Zino's for quite some time and still love to grab them for long listens on the go.  I have never quite understood why they were never very popular.  Maybe it has something to do with the Ultrasone sound?  I like the bass.  Highs can sometimes lean towards the harsh side...but not too bad. 

plus I think they are some of the best looking portable headphones in the range... they made my PortaPros look even sillier than they looked originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back