Ultrasone Signature DJ
Mar 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #706 of 2,701
I have a set here with me now. If it weren't for the Th-900s they'd be my favorite Bass can. I think you'd be very happy with them and they are available from B&H Photo with a 30 day MBG. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #707 of 2,701
Quote:
I have a set here with me now. If it weren't for the Th-900s they'd be my favorite Bass can. I think you'd be very happy with them and they are available from B&H Photo with a 30 day MBG. 

Why are your headphones INSIDE your car with your amp OUTSIDE your car on a shelf??

That set-up seems like trouble just waiting to happen if someone is in a hurry and jumps into the car & tries driving off...

Wouldn't you prefer to listen to your nice headphones in nice armchair rather than the cramped car in the garage?

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #709 of 2,701

Quote:
Why are your headphones INSIDE your car with your amp OUTSIDE your car on a shelf??

That set-up seems like trouble just waiting to happen if someone is in a hurry and jumps into the car & tries driving off...

Wouldn't you prefer to listen to your nice headphones in nice armchair rather than the cramped car in the garage?

That's my mobile rig. You can't see it in the picture, but I have a spool with a five mile long extension cord attached. It's not perfect, but it gets me to the Gym and Starbucks and back.  
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #711 of 2,701
Quote:
I AM done buying headphones after the Th-900s. They are this Basshead's dream come true. 

You're welcome, sir.  Welcome to the club.  I do intend to purchase the Sig DJs again.  I enjoyed their sound enough when I had them last that I can see my self keeping them in my headphone stable.

The TH-900s are definitely end game worthy, though.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #713 of 2,701
Quote:

You're welcome, sir.  Welcome to the club.  I do intend to purchase the Sig DJs again.  I enjoyed their sound enough when I had them last that I can see my self keeping them in my headphone stable.

The TH-900s are definitely end game worthy, though.

I think I'm gonna keep the DJ's for my portable rig. Keep the Fostex home and safe. 
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #714 of 2,701
Quote:
how do they compare bareyb? Im seriously interested :D

Comparing them isn't as easy as I thought it might be. For one, the Fostex make every one of my other headphones sound muffled in comparison. They are much more similar in character to the HiFi Man HE500s than to the Signature DJ in my opinion.  Comparing them directly to the Signature DJs is not really a fair comparison considering they do cost twice as much... Having said that, if you don't directly compare, the Signature DJ's would be a fitting end game for many a Basshead. I love them and I plan to keep them as my portable rig. The Fostex are far too fragile feeling for me to haul them around with much confidence. 

I'm guessing you probably want to know mostly about how the BASS compares so I won't keep you in suspense. Looking at the frequency charts it would seem like the Th-900 should blow the DJ's away, but it's really not the case in terms of perceived quantity. On some tracks the Th-900s have more and on others the DJs have more. It's very close. Overall, the Th-900 has more, but not enough to spend the $1000.00 for.

The reason the Fostex cost two grand is because of whatever magical material they made the drivers out of. The Bass is extremely musical. I am hearing things from the Fostex that I've never heard before and I promise you, I have never used that phrase before. I always thought people were exaggerating... My Father was an Audiophile and I grew up around high end speakers and amps my whole life. He had Fischer and Marantz when those names meant something. The Th-900s are as close as I've come to that level of audiophilia since I began this hobby.

Anyway enough about the Th-900s.They cost two grand, so they better be awesome, and they are... And guess what? That doesn't mean a thing when we are talking about the Signature DJ's. They are still the best bang for the buck I've found  for a true Basshead, and if I'd never heard the Th-900s they'd be my end game.

If you can afford the Th-900s do it. They are just simply the best headphones I've ever heard in my life. No exaggeration. If not, get the Signature DJ's and know you've got one of the best Basshead 'phones in the World. The list of elite Audiophile Basshead Cans is very short and very expensive and the Th-900s are not well suited to rough use like the DJs are. Bottom line: If you can manage to get both and use the DJ's for portable and the Th-900s at home, that's the best of all worlds. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #715 of 2,701
Comparing them isn't as easy as I thought it might be. For one, the Fostex make every one of my other headphones sound muffled in comparison. They are much more similar in character to the HiFi Man HE500s than to the Signature DJ in my opinion.  Comparing them directly to the Signature DJs is not really a fair comparison considering they do cost twice as much... Having said that, if you don't directly compare, the Signature DJ's would be a fitting end game for many a Basshead. I love them and I plan to keep them as my portable rig. The Fostex are far too fragile feeling for me to haul them around with much confidence. 

I'm guessing you probably want to know mostly about how the BASS compares so I won't keep you in suspense. Looking at the frequency charts it would seem like the Th-900 should blow the DJ's away, but it's really not the case in terms of perceived quantity. On some tracks the Th-900s have more and on others the DJs have more. It's very close. Overall, the Th-900 has more, but not enough to spend the $1000.00 for.

The reason the Fostex cost two grand is because of whatever magical material they made the drivers out of. The Bass is extremely musical. I am hearing things from the Fostex that I've never heard before and I promise you, I have never used that phrase before. I always thought people were exaggerating... My Father was an Audiophile and I grew up around high end speakers and amps my whole life. He had Fischer and Marantz when those names meant something. The Th-900s are as close as I've come to that level of audiophilia since I began this hobby.

Anyway enough about the Th-900s.They cost two grand, so they better be awesome, and they are... And guess what? That doesn't mean a thing when we are talking about the Signature DJ's. They are still the best bang for the buck I've found  for a true Basshead, and if I'd never heard the Th-900s they'd be my end game.

If you can afford the Th-900s do it. They are just simply the best headphones I've ever heard in my life. No exaggeration. If not, get the Signature DJ's and know you've got one of the best Basshead 'phones in the World. The list of elite Audiophile Basshead Cans is very short and very expensive and the Th-900s are not well suited to rough use like the DJs are. Bottom line: If you can manage to get both and use the DJ's for portable and the Th-900s at home, that's the best of all worlds. 

You know you're an extreme audiophile when you use the phrase "bang for buck" to describe thousand dollar headphones.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #716 of 2,701
Quote:
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HEARD THE SIGNATURE DJ:

I got a thousand dollars for my birthday, and I really want to upgrade from my uncomfortable VModa M80 and their inadequate bass. I have attached some sample tracks from the music I listen to. Do you think that the Signature DJ is a good choice? (source= MP3 320--> iPhone 5 64gb --> custom silver lod-->JDSLabs C5 --> headphones)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnJ2_xN2jU

I know it's A LOT of sample tracks, I just want to be super-duper sure I don't waste mah monney 
rolleyes.gif

Have you had the chance to listen to a variety of headphones, or are you just reading reviews? I only ask because you're talking about jumping from $80 to headphones that cost $1000. There's a lot of other really good headphones in between there, and more money doesn't necessarily mean a better headphone. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #717 of 2,701
Have you had the chance to listen to a variety of headphones, or are you just reading reviews? I only ask because you're talking about jumping from $80 to headphones that cost $1000. There's a lot of other really good headphones in between there, and more money doesn't necessarily mean a better headphone. 

I agree with you. The HD800 may be like the holy grail to some but I don't even bother trying it when people continuously mentioning it is a little too bright, analytical and light on the bass. And this is a fact the senn fanboys might even agree with me.

You can maybe give us your views on some hps and all the fellow headfiers will try to figure if the sig DJ is for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back