Ultrasone Signature DJ
Aug 19, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #2,296 of 2,701
  I think I'm getting confused here... Do you already own a Signature DJ? Or are you considering getting a Signature DJ/Pro? Because if you already own one of these, I don't think the other would be up your alley. The reason I'm getting lost here is you're asking about the SP in the SDJ thread.

I haven't heard the Sony headphones you were talking about earlier, so I can't really give any feedback on those. But I will say it's very likely that the Signature Pro and/or DJ will have better sound quality. I don't really know anything about using a DAC with a CD player, but at the least a portable amp will likely increase sound quality even more. It really depends if you think it's worth it.

The other thing I haven't really heard anyone mention is that when upgrading, it can often take some time for your ears to adjust and hear the differences between different model headphones. Every time I stepped up the Ultrasone line, I always had temporary buyer's remorse until a week or so in I went back and compared the new set to the older. I would also recommend trying each headphone on a couple different sources, as it could always be something else in your chain that's not quite meshing.

I don't own the signature pro.  I was considering the SP until 2 days ago.  I have some concern from some salesman, who said to me that my Sony D-EJ2000 is 1 bit DAC, so no matter what head phone (along w/ a DAC) I use, it won't make a difference, as he said the source (CD) is not good

I am not trying to save $ on a portable cd player, but I can't find a better one

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #2,297 of 2,701

I don't own the signature pro.  I was considering the SP until 2 days ago.  I have some concern from some salesman, who said to me that my Sony D-EJ2000 is 1 bit DAC, so no matter what head phone (along w/ a DAC) I use, it won't make a difference, as he said the source (CD) is not good

I am not trying to save $ on a portable cd player, but I can't find a better one

Why use a CD player?

It is big, and has more problems than simply taking your music ripped to microsd cards using a computer and EAC program. 

I recommend buying a fiio X5. It is much better. 

Also your sony is 1 bit DAC, but headphones make a lot of difference. I would strongly advice you to buy a portable DAP, and keep a digital copy of your music on a solid type storage instead of CD. CDs can be destroyed by wear, and sound worse than using a DAP. 

sig pro and DJ are both worlds away from most headphones in the same range. The only true competitors are fostex 600 and 900, and hd700 and hd800 from sennheiser, but as far as i know, ultrasones are more lightweight than fostex and compared to sennheiser, have less treble and are closed back. 

getting a better CD player would set you back more than buying a simple DAP. If you want to spend as less as possible, a fiio x1 or x3II is enough, and will provide you lots of fun. Also 128gb microsd cards are cheap these days, and X3II and X5II from fiio also work as a DAC for the entire system. They have very potent 24 bit dacs inside. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,299 of 2,701
  Why use a CD player?

It is big, and has more problems than simply taking your music ripped to microsd cards using a computer and EAC program. 

I recommend buying a fiio X5. It is much better. 

Also your sony is 1 bit DAC, but headphones make a lot of difference. I would strongly advice you to buy a portable DAP, and keep a digital copy of your music on a solid type storage instead of CD. CDs can be destroyed by wear, and sound worse than using a DAP. 

sig pro and DJ are both worlds away from most headphones in the same range. The only true competitors are fostex 600 and 900, and hd700 and hd800 from sennheiser, but as far as i know, ultrasones are more lightweight than fostex and compared to sennheiser, have less treble and are closed back. 

getting a better CD player would set you back more than buying a simple DAP. If you want to spend as less as possible, a fiio x1 or x3II is enough, and will provide you lots of fun. Also 128gb microsd cards are cheap these days, and X3II and X5II from fiio also work as a DAC for the entire system. They have very potent 24 bit dacs inside. 

I can't.  I own too many CD.  The way I do it monthly, is I go to youtube to listen to each song on that album, if the album is good, I buy the CD.  I don't need to waste time trying to find whatever song on the internet, wasting time finding out if it's LPCM or MP3

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,300 of 2,701

I can't.  I own too many CD.  The way I do it monthly, is I go to youtube to listen to each song on that album, if the album is good, I buy the CD.  I don't need to waste time trying to find whatever song on the internet, wasting time finding out if it's LPCM or MP3

Not download. Get a computer, with a CD-ROM, and rip your CDs with a free ripper program, like EAC. It is free, and it is fun. And you should have way less problems this way, and better SQ, with longer lasting CDs. 

I say it is better to buy CDs and rip them yourself, but using CDs to listen is too much hassle to be do-able. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2,301 of 2,701

thanks for the input.  how would you compare the Signature Pro to the V900?

The same as the SDJ to the V900. General differences are the same. The differences in the SDJ and SP are subtle. The Pro has a 40mm Titanium coated driver, and the SDJ a 50mm uncoated. The Pro sounds more Ultrasonish to me, since they usually coat with Titanium. 

I think the Titanium adds a bit more extension, not presence, in the highest regions, a bit more air and clarity. I think overall the SP is a wee bit flatter on the FR. I think the 50mm driver renders the bass kick of house music with a bit more beef and effortlessness. But the Pro does bass excellently, and accurately. Coming from a V900, I would recommend the Pro over the SDJ if you are in love with the V900, and you are set on an Ultrasone. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,302 of 2,701

The same as the SDJ to the V900. General differences are the same. The differences in the SDJ and SP are subtle. The Pro has a 40mm Titanium coated driver, and the SDJ a 50mm uncoated. The Pro sounds more Ultrasonish to me, since they usually coat with Titanium. 

I think the Titanium adds a bit more extension, not presence, in the highest regions, a bit more air and clarity. I think overall the SP is a wee bit flatter on the FR. I think the 50mm driver renders the bass kick of house music with a bit more beef and effortlessness. But the Pro does bass excellently, and accurately. Coming from a V900, I would recommend the Pro over the SDJ if you are in love with the V900, and you are set on an Ultrasone. 

I always thought that Pro sig has less soundstage than dj sig. The S logic works with your ears normally? I mean, I had not tested in depth, and I might be wrong, so this is why I am asking. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #2,303 of 2,701
  I always thought that Pro sig has less soundstage than dj sig... and I might be wrong...

I did not mean to imply anything at all about the soundstages. You are probably right. For me, clarity, air, and extension can play into a soundstage, but in this regard, I meant simply that the Pro has a bit more extension on the very high end, and gives those frequencies more room to breath. Also keep in mind that this doesn't mean the presence of the high end - or how forward or loud it is. To me, you can have something that extends higher and plays the top stuff with better timbre and clarity, but lacking the presence of others. 

For example, the HD800 vs Sig Pro. The Pro arguably has as much detail and clarity up top, but it is not as prominent. 

A lot of times the larger presence of high frequencies fool people into thinking a headphone has more detail or a larger soundstage. Not necessarily true, it's just more obvious. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #2,304 of 2,701

I did not mean to imply anything at all about the soundstages. You are probably right. For me, clarity, air, and extension can play into a soundstage, but in this regard, I meant simply that the Pro has a bit more extension on the very high end, and gives those frequencies more room to breath. Also keep in mind that this doesn't mean the presence of the high end - or how forward or loud it is. To me, you can have something that extends higher and plays the top stuff with better timbre and clarity, but lacking the presence of others. 

For example, the HD800 vs Sig Pro. The Pro arguably has as much detail and clarity up top, but it is not as prominent. 

A lot of times the larger presence of high frequencies fool people into thinking a headphone has more detail or a larger soundstage. Not necessarily true, it's just more obvious. 

I never thought to put it that way. 

I feel that soundstage in ultrasones does not come from having a proeminent top end, because the top end is... much muted compared to hd800.But they still have a great soundstage, and I think that it is because of the holes in the metal diffusers, which make the sound come from more than one place, and arrive to the ear at different times. In theory, this should give the most realistic soundstage and should sound very natural. 

In practice, some people do not understand ultrasone soundstage for one reason or another. 

Another thought, I listened to hd800 a couple of times, and it certainly is a great headphone, and has a lot of soundstage, but I never thought that it lacked top end extension. I wonder how it manages to sound so expansive from a soundstage point of view. Ie800 has a similar presentation with hd800, with a lot of top end, but ie800 does not have a very expansive soundstage, but a very aired top end, with a pinpoint precision everything, and a great layering. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,305 of 2,701

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,307 of 2,701
  SoundFreaq,

what  setup did you use for the comparison between Sony V900 vs. Signature DJ ?

Oh I have never done a direct comparison of the two directly. Just drawing on my years spent with them. And I have listened to both from any setup or condition imaginable. Straight out of mixing consoles, out of DACs unamped, portables, top-end tube and SS amps. What are you interested in hearing about?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,308 of 2,701
  ... But they still have a great soundstage, and I think that it is because of the holes in the metal diffusers, which make the sound come from more than one place, and arrive to the ear at different times....

Agreed, and that's probably the best explanation around. Makes sense. 

In practice, some people do not understand ultrasone soundstage for one reason or another. 

... I wonder how it manages to sound so expansive from a soundstage point of view. Ie800 has a similar presentation with hd800, with a lot of top end, but ie800 does not have a very expansive soundstage, but a very aired top end, with a pinpoint precision everything, and a great layering. 

So if you extrapolate that same idea of S-logic with direction and timing of sound, think about it, The HD 800 is an open can. Conceivably you would even have sound reflection leaving the headphone, being reflected, and coming back in. That must sound more tru to life. 

With all the open phones I have played with, moving your palms closer to the grill while listening always changes the sound, sometimes significantly. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,309 of 2,701

Agreed, and that's probably the best explanation around. Makes sense. 

So if you extrapolate that same idea of S-logic with direction and timing of sound, think about it, The HD 800 is an open can. Conceivably you would even have sound reflection leaving the headphone, being reflected, and coming back in. That must sound more tru to life. 

With all the open phones I have played with, moving your palms closer to the grill while listening always changes the sound, sometimes significantly. 

I agree with this. 

I tried to understand the principle behind hd800 soundstage for some time. 

For now, I only think that it is an engineering piece of art. 

The official importator of ultrasone refused to let me listen today some ultrasones. so... I am not sure what do i do now. I need new over the ear headphones, with very good treble extension, but closed back. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,310 of 2,701

The official importator of ultrasone refused to let me listen today some ultrasones. so... I am not sure what do i do now. I need new over the ear headphones, with very good treble extension, but closed back. 

Have you tried any of the Edition series? Probably a dumb question since you just said you couldn't listen to some, lol. I feel like the Edition 8 has more treble than the Sig Pro.

EDIT: Should clarify I've never heard the Ed 8, but that's what the impression seems to be. I really want to hear the Edition 5, personally. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back