Ultrasone Saphire - 6 driver hybrid
Jun 7, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #16 of 34
I think that is a very reasonable reaction. I am interested in hearing about the new electrostatic technology but yes...the price is just madness.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #17 of 34
I think that is a very reasonable reaction. I am interested in hearing about the new electrostatic technology but yes...the price is just madness.
A lot of tteble, ssssss ssssss

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #19 of 34
Jun 8, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 34
That one says the cable is silver...so I assume actual silver and not just solver colored right? #sarcasm
but seriously, that's nuts.

Not only the cable, but also the shell is made of silver. At least this has some jewelry vibes...still crazy though.

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 34
I was checking if there are any other IEMs with similar options and found this:

https://alclair.com/monitorshop/electro-electrostatic/

To compare the two, here are the data:

Alclair ELECTRO 6 ($1499)

DRIVERS Six Drivers
2 Balanced Armature Low End Drivers, 1 Balanced Armature Midrange Driver, 1 Balanced Armature Tweeter
2 Electrostatic Tweeters
CROSSOVER Four Way Crossover
SENSITIVITY 107 dB at 1 kHz (100 mv)
BORES Four Bores
NOISE REDUCTION -26dB Noise Reduction
IMPEDANCE 24Ω at 1K

Ultrasone Saphire (€3000)

Driver: 6 driver 4 way hybrid technology: 4 Balanced Armature Drivers and Electrostatic Dual Tweeter
Frequency range: 10 Hz – 50.000 Hz
Impedance: 25 Ohm
Sensitivity (@1 kHz) SPL at 0,1mW: 106 dB

Of course there is more to it than just this data, but both seems to have the exact same configuration.

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #24 of 34
It's crazy. The madness around high res in the Asian world is extreme. Ultrasone can do these price tags without any prior celebrity endorsement. Hard to believe.

I'm gonna try these I believe by the end of the month, so will let you guys updated.

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #25 of 34
It's crazy. The madness around high res in the Asian world is extreme. Ultrasone can do these price tags without any prior celebrity endorsement. Hard to believe.

I'm gonna try these I believe by the end of the month, so will let you guys updated.

I am living in Germany and I have never seen Ultrasone being on display of a shop like in the video I sent previously. There is something that Ultrasone has that appeals to the Asian market like nothing else. I had their Jubilee 25 which costed $6000/€5000 (I, of course paid even less than half of these numbers) - OK, it was good but a crazy $6000 price tag? Naah.

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 34
I am living in Germany and I have never seen Ultrasone being on display of a shop like in the video I sent previously. There is something that Ultrasone has that appeals to the Asian market like nothing else. I had their Jubilee 25 which costed $6000/€5000 (I, of course paid even less than half of these numbers) - OK, it was good but a crazy $6000 price tag? Naah.

Yes, there's absolutely no marketing. No placement, no endorsement, no branding.
I mean, I've seen Ultrasone in some really luxury shopping malls, but that's it. I mean there are lots of people that can and will pay for the full price of them. But again, that's target audience from Asia, China, maybe UAE. I'm curious about the sound. I have IQ'S PRO and they are unbelievable great.

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #27 of 34
I actually bought the IQ but sent it back due to fit issues but I found the sound quite good at the time. I have seen two very contradicting opinions about Saphire. This was on Facebook:

upload_2019-6-9_13-45-55.png

And then this:

upload_2019-6-9_13-47-2.png

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #28 of 34
Jun 9, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #29 of 34
Wow. Well I would never pay 3000 for them. Would always find another way. I think there's always a deal how you will use them. For example IQ PRO's are not made for smartphones or PC's. They will let you know everything about the recording. When I use them with QP1R they are amazing. Also I do believe that Ultrasone will never be good with Astell players.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #30 of 34
From the side of a noob-audiophile who will probably not buy some 3/4K in ears (I would rather spend that much on over ears IF my ears can prove its worth it) and have been YouTubing to see what the allure they bring it seems concurrent with what you guys are saying. The Asian community are frothing at the mouth to get this stuff.

This makes me feel like the Apple vs Microsoft battle in a way. Apple releases $5k monitor when there are other similarity specd / better monitors out there for less money but based solely on the name people would rather buy those.

Am I far off in thinking this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back