Ultrasone Pro900 or Markl Denon for metal?
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DaveBSC

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey folks,

I'm looking to make an upgrade from my Sony MDR-7509 and Cowon S9 that I currently use when traveling. I bought a Beyer DT880-32, which sounds OK out of the Cowon, not great. I was able to hear the DT880 on a Hifiman HM-801 and was much more impressed with them, but I still feel like the bottom end was lacking a bit when listening to hard rock and metal. The HM-801 is just too big for me, but assuming the HM-602 sounds at least near as good as the 801 does, that will most likely replace my S9. The next step is the headphones. I'm looking for something that has the detail and the other positives of the Beyers, but with stronger and fuller bass response. I also want finesse though, nothing muddy or bloated, and I don't want anything that recesses the midrange.

I'm thinking that the Ultrasone Pro900 (maybe with Kees mod?) or a Markl modded Denon 5000 may be the best choice. Not interested in Grados, and I don't really want to spend more than $600 on the phones. Should I also be considering the AKG K702, maybe something by Audio-Technica?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 6
I preferred my Pro 900 over the markl D5000 for this music. K702 is slower and don´t have as hard attack, nor let you feel the bass so they are not the best option for this genre.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 6
With the Pro900's burn them properly and do the Kees mod and you won't find a better headphone for metal ;D

Quote:
Thanks. The folding design of the Ultrasones also makes them more appealing for carrying around, so I will most likely go with those.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Go for Ultrasone. I prefer the upper treble and bass on Ultrasone's compared to Denons, but the MarkL D5000 had way better mids than ALO-780 (from memory). Much more prominent. PRO 900 is completely different apparently, though. So yeah, go for Ultrasone PRO 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back