Ultrasone PRO2900, PRO2500, Audio Technica AD2000 or SA5000?
Sep 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 7
the ad2000 is infernally good on vocals, but falls apart on complex music, it has a good (mid forward) tonal balance, prefers quality sources and solid state amps

the rest, I don't know them

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 7
I used to love Ultrasones for their lively sound signature, but their open phones were too shrill for me. Their closed phones can be a little bright, but their open variants are even more bright. High sibilance.

I absolutely love my AD2000. Excellent emphasis on vocals, detailed, and punchy bass. Very good all rounders. Excellent from genres of jazz, acoustic to trance.

I have not heard the Sonys, but I have read that they are quite bright sounding.

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Just got a Ultrasone 2500 compared to the Beyer 880 dark sounding,mellow and more calm.
Pretty much same in the detail but the Beyer 880 might be considered more detailed because of the brightness/clarity.But not bright because of treble.
Treble washes away detail see Sony MDR V6 it doesn't add detail and that's a headphone with a real treble push.

Not the AD 2000 but Audio Technica AD 700 is brighter than than a Beyer DT 880 and had more treble.
Other Audio Technica's also seem to share similar highs but I'm not sure about the ad 2000.

Ultrasone 2500 totally owns in the bass department though its got power but its not overly powerful or bloated its very nice.

As for which one is better I guess the best thing to do is read about each one and try to figure on which one suits your taste and likes.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 7
the ad2000 is certainly not bright and it has incredibly well-defined bass. It's a pleasure to listen to and i've never noticed it falling apart when confronted with complex music (like baroque or classical I am assuming?). I must say that i've never taken a real liking to the pro2500s. I owned them for a while, but they were just not my cup of tea. I'd say ad2000, but then I'm very fond of ath phones in general.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 7
The AD2000's are a great set of phones - great bass, mids and highs, with great clarity and air!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back