Ultrasone Pro 900's Arrived Today :D - First Impressions
Jul 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #61 of 72
I don't believe in burn-in or cables (got the Moon Audio Blue Snake oil cable on my Pro900 now), but the highs of my Pro900 definitely became smoother with use. When I first got them the treble made me flinch on some recordings! Apart from that, I've not noticed anything else or the bass disappearing and re-appearing.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #62 of 72

Quote:
I don't believe in burn-in or cables (got the Moon Audio Blue Snake oil cable on my Pro900 now), but the highs of my Pro900 definitely became smoother with use. When I first got them the treble made me flinch on some recordings! Apart from that, I've not noticed anything else or the bass disappearing and re-appearing.

yeah i always buy monoprice hdmi cables and trs cables and xlr cables for my studio monitors and my tvs. iv never noticed a difference in sound quality. you certainly wont see me buying $150 headphone cables.

and i dont find the highs on my pro 900's anymore shrill than my hd280's. they seem fine to me. i guess its all a matter of opinion though.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #63 of 72
I also never found the pro 900's to be too shrill when compared to some of the IEM's I've listened to (listening to the SE535s for certain songs was litearlly like taking a knife to my ears
mad.gif
). The ultrasones are on the aggressive side but they still sound relatively tame for most of the songs that I couldn't bear to listen to with the SE535s. Of course there are a few exceptions out there like MGMT's Oracular Spectacular album where the highs are still piercing.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying these cans and my only complaint is that for some albums by Pink Floyd and Journey, everything sounds really far away.
confused_face(1).gif

Oh and during burn in, I don't think it was that much of a mental burn in for me because I naturally prefer their sound signature as it turns out. However during burn in, they periodically turned really thin and almost bass anemic. During that time, I did not feel the same visceral bass impact that I get currently experience
L3000.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #64 of 72

Quote:
Yeah I couldn't imagine any headphone company  that wouldn't want their customers to listen to their headphones.

You will listen to their headphones anyway...
It doesn't matter what the companies suggest..
This is the purpose of getting a headphone,to listen to it.

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #66 of 72
Jul 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #67 of 72
i still don't see where ultrasone recommends burning in the headphones?

and idk how some people are noticing the bass disappearing and reappearing in the pro 900's. my bass has been the same from out of the box as far as i can tell. ill let you guys know if i notice any different, though.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #68 of 72
Yeah I never noticed the bass disappearing act either...but I didn't listen to them a whole lot while they were burning in. They bass definitely improves with burn-in, but I still thought it sounded great out of the box-but still a little overbearing.

-Daniel

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #69 of 72
For the record..
I didn't say that the bass disappeared,don't get me wrong here!!
I said the bass impact wasn't there,full and tight as it should be..
Bass was present of course but without body and thin..
This happened during the first 20 hours of burn in...

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #70 of 72

Quote:
For the record..
I didn't say that the bass disappeared,don't get me wrong here!!
I said the bass impact wasn't there,full and tight as it should be..
Bass was present of course but without body and thin..
This happened during the first 20 hours of burn in...

yeah im still not experiencing that. my headphones have about 17hrs on head. like i said maybe they are a bit smoother and more full now, but that could just be my own brain thinking so. the general balance and signature of the phone has not changed for me.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #72 of 72
Maybe it's because you're using them and you get used to it as it changes (or maybe it's just a placebo effect, who knows 
tongue.gif
).

I left mine playing some pink noise over night and the weekend, and I felt a huge difference in the bass when I put them on, compared to out-of-the-box. Like Optimus said, the bass was there, but the impact I felt when I first tried them was gone (I have the HD 598 and at that time, I thought the impact on these 2 cans were almost the same!).

Quote:
yeah im still not experiencing that. my headphones have about 17hrs on head. like i said maybe they are a bit smoother and more full now, but that could just be my own brain thinking so. the general balance and signature of the phone has not changed for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back