Ultrasone Pro 900's Arrived Today :D - First Impressions
Jul 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #46 of 72
That's odd. Most I have seen come with one pair black and one pair silver; usually the silver is in the box and the black come installed. Maybe they messed your package up?

I am debating trying a mod I read by using j$ denon pads with the ultrasone lock/guides glued on the back. Has anybody experimented with leather pads on the 900?

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #49 of 72
Concerning the burn in... mine has now about 20 hours of burn in (10h of music, 10h of pink noise), and I have the impression the bass is very light compared to yesterday (or maybe I'm just biased due to the comments I've read about burn in in this thread 
tongue.gif
).

But I'm comparing with my ES7, and they have almost the same amount of bass, the only difference is that the bass on the Ultrasone is deeper.

I'll leave some pink noise playing today, let's see how it changes.

Btw.. I'm using the E7 as DAC and the E11 as amp.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #50 of 72

Quote:
The M50 and the Pro 900 should not even remotely be compared. The M50 compared to the Pro 900 is neutral. The M50 is not a basshead can. It's an entry level "all around" headphone that doesn't shine anywhere other than price-point for the quality of sound reproduction. The Pro 900 is more than twice the price, and the bass which is the point of the Pro 900 is so far beyond it that you cannot compare the two. Pro 900's are basshead phones and excellent for electronic music. M50's don't shine there (nor anywhere frankly). The Pro 900's however are not an ideal phone for acoustic/rock/classic--you should get a mid/high oriented open-air can for that.

Burn them in--they do change quite a bit (unlike my Beyers which didn't really do much different after a good burn in; Ultrasones truly do benefit burn-in).

Very best,

Would you be saying this if the M50 were 3 times more expensive?

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #51 of 72

Quote:
Would you be saying this if the M50 were 3 times more expensive?

Yes i think everybody who have heard both cans will say this...
Μ50 does good electronic,especially techno and less trance BUT Ultrasones really outperform M50 when it comes to electronic music..
Dj1 surely is two steps ahead so PRO 900 should be in another league...

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #52 of 72

Quote:
Concerning the burn in... mine has now about 20 hours of burn in (10h of music, 10h of pink noise), and I have the impression the bass is very light compared to yesterday (or maybe I'm just biased due to the comments I've read about burn in in this thread 
tongue.gif
).

But I'm comparing with my ES7, and they have almost the same amount of bass, the only difference is that the bass on the Ultrasone is deeper.

I'll leave some pink noise playing today, let's see how it changes.

Btw.. I'm using the E7 as DAC and the E11 as amp.

I am experiencing the same thing burning in DJ1.
Ultrasones are responding very weird during burn in period...
I am having a very interesting lesson through them..
I am currently on 50 hours of burn in and they still behave strange..
From light and without impact bass to strong and tight and from distorted highs to crisp and bright...

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #53 of 72
I'm now at 50 hours too. The bass seemed to settled down. It's tight and deep and stronger than before, though not stronger than out-the-box, I think (but I prefer this way... it blends better with the music). On the other hand, now the highs are really harsh. I had to turn down the volume a bit because in some tracks it hurts my ears.

It's indeed a really strange burn in process.

Quote:
I am experiencing the same thing burning in DJ1.
Ultrasones are responding very weird during burn in period...
I am having a very interesting lesson through them..
I am currently on 50 hours of burn in and they still behave strange..
From light and without impact bass to strong and tight and from distorted highs to crisp and bright...

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #54 of 72
around 100-120 i noticed a smoothing.  i put them in for 300-400 though.  They seem less harsh, im not sure if it is in my head or not, but i am more satisfied than when i first bought them.  epic win, they never cease to amaze me.  They make me wonder what the germans created with the edition 8's

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #55 of 72
iv been burning listening to mine for about 15 hours or so total and i havent noticed too much of a change. well, they have been sounding better and better but im not sure if its due to actual speaker burn in or my own brain burning in. the general sound signature and balance of the headphone has not changed for me though. idk i think many of you guys are far too concerned with "burning in" and are experiencing a placebo. there has been extensive research regarding speaker burn in and most of the findings state that any speaker will be burned in after just a couple of hours and that the change is minimal...but who knows.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #56 of 72
You're dealing with audiophiles.  From that statement alone you should know that most of what's said is greatly exaggerated.  I've noticed some burn in with the M50 and a couple tubes for amps, but that's about the extent of it.  

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #57 of 72

Quote:
You're dealing with audiophiles.  From that statement alone you should know that most of what's said is greatly exaggerated.  I've noticed some burn in with the M50 and a couple tubes for amps, but that's about the extent of it.  

yeah i usually associate with producers and they don't emphasize nearly as heavily on burn in as around here. like i said to me its more of a placebo and any changes due to burn in are very minimal and will not change the general signature and balance of the driver. and as i said before my pro 900's are sounding better and better but i believe it just may be them growing on me. maybe they have gotten a tad smoother, maybe not i don't notice a big difference from straight out of the box.

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #58 of 72
if ultrasone tells you to burn in the headphones, there has to be some reason for it.  I can't see any reason for a headphone company to tell its customers to do something like that, there is no benefit for them.  

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #60 of 72
where does ultrasone recommend you burn in the headphones? i didn't read anything about that in the package contents i received...

and yeah a company def would not want you to listen to their headphones with a fancy sample cd...god no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back