Ultrasone Pro 900 vs Ultrasone Edition 8 requesting some knowledge
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Freeze

500+ Head-Fier
Obviously the edition 8 must be better headphones I mean 330 vs 1500 dollars. Do they really sound so much more incredible that they are worth the +1200 dollars?

Can anyone who has heard both give their words of wisdom?

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Expensive cans are toys, fun to have not needed IMO. Anything over $500 is just for the Lolz~

Get the Pro900 if your absolutely sure you want bass.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 14
already got a pair for 330 should be arriving in the mail anytime.

Read my first post my introduction post when coming here over a year ago. It lists my car audio system. Car audio is my main passion.

I am a huge frickin bass head thats why I got Westone 3 Limited editions iems as my first step into portable audio.

I chose the pro 900's to satisfy my basshead needs with full size cans

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Obviously the edition 8 must be better headphones I mean 330 vs 1500 dollars. Do they really sound so much more incredible that they are worth the +1200 dollars?

Can anyone who has heard both give their words of wisdom?

Higher price doesn't necessarily mean something must be "better".  The problem with that assumption is that everyone's "better" would need to be the same.  Are the ED8 constructed better, using better materials =YES  Are they technically better headphones (IMO) =YES  Do they sound the same as the Pro900 only "better"=NO  They are different headphones and they sound different, better for some, not for others and in given situations maybe.  I have both and will keep both.  I think that subjectively the ED8 is the "better" headphone, but for some genres and given some of my moods I reach for the Pro900 in preference to the Edition.  The Pro900 would be the "better" bass can, I think the ED8 is a fairly balanced sounding headphone. 

IMO looking at headphones as "better than as a collective statement" is the wrong way to look at this hobby.  People looking for "the" ultimate headphone will be disappointed in my view, just like food, tastes change.

Are the ED8's worth $1200 more than the Pro900s?  Value is more subjective than sound preference and with diminishing returns the comparrison of expensive headphones against much cheaper headphones will always be an unfair fight.
Are they 4 times "better", of course not, even though no one can define "better" in a measurable way.  Is a Porshe GT2 worth 10 times more than the average sports sedan?

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 14
When I first get my pro 900's im only gonna have the straight HP out of the Zune 120. Until I get my 5.5g imod and rsa p-51 mustang.

How much of this headphones potential will I see with just the plain HP out from the Zune 120?

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Kernmac has pretty much nailed it. The E8 is more balanced and is a bit more versatile in the music it can handle I think. The Pro900 are great bass cans which I use exclusively for electronic music and gaming.

Price is not always an indicator of performance and it's all subject to diminishing returns. Ultrasone should make an 'E8 Student Edition' which has the same overall construction and drivers but uses less precious materials and is priced much more reasonably. Would sell in bundles I reckon.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I've only briefly tried them from an iphone4 headphone out (I assume you are asking about the E8?) and it sounded fine to me, but I'm not as discerning as some people here. Do you have your Pro900s now or are they still on the way?

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 14
Since you will have to use them "un-amped" to start with with regardless, why not just decide how they sound for youself when you get them! lol

My opinion on their performance straight from a DAP is pretty irrelevant when you have already bought them.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 14
I'd say the Ed. 8s are the best closed headphones I've heard/owned and the Pro900s are descent closed headphones (with a bit too much treble for my liking). So, for me, the Ed. 8s are totally worth it.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 14
I rolled with an ipod 5.5g -> Pro 900's for a while... sounds just fine.  However, with the right amp you can get a lot cleaner sound out of the headphones (better damping is possible... the ipod 5.5g has a pretty dreadful output impedance).  Just keep the gain setting on your amp as low as you can and have you still able to get the volume you want and you should be gtg.  Enjoy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back