Ultrasone Pro 900 Studio Headphones Unboxing Video, Impressions to come.
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Just got this up on to YouTube. Hope you guys like it. I plan to compare Sony MDR-XB1000 as some of you have requested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd1L4unc9g

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 45
That was quick. The 900's look nice to bad the cup face is plastic and not metal. You're probably right if you're not careful they'll scratch up pretty quick.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 45
I was surprised that it's all plastic.

Initial sound impressions compare to the XB1000 is not that great for the Pro 900. I am burning it in right now so I'll give it a few days before I make any judgment.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 45

Quote:
Initial sound impressions compare to the XB1000 is not that great for the Pro 900.

Interesting. If the XB1000 comes out on top overall I'll be very shocked, then proceed to order a pair of XB1000s.
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 45
I had a feeling DJ was going to make that initial impression. The highs at this stage are probably his biggest gripe if i had to guess. But will wait and find out shortly.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 45
I will update this thread with some nice pictures and impressions this Sat. Do you guys want pictures of it next to the XB1000 or should I keep the pictures to the Pro 900 only since it's a Pro 900 thread.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 45

Quote:
I will update this thread with some nice pictures and impressions this Sat. Do you guys want pictures of it next to the XB1000 or should I keep the pictures to the Pro 900 only since it's a Pro 900 thread.

be cool if you took pics of them next to the xb1000

:DD

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 45
I look forward to your final impressions, if the XB1000's meet or surpass the Pro 900's I'll be putting the XB1000's on my to get list. Today I had to fight the urge to purchase the XB 500's. For whatever reason I want to put my 700's up against their little brother and see where the differences lie. Damn this hobby and the effect its going to have on my wallet.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 45
I look forward to your final impressions, if the XB1000's meet or surpass the Pro 900's I'll be putting the XB1000's on my to get list. Today I had to fight the urge to purchase the XB 500's. For whatever reason I want to put my 700's up against their little brother and see where the differences lie. Damn this hobby and the effect its going to have on my wallet.

The XB500 is not large investment. I say go for it! It's a lot of fun comparing headphones.

I remember not liking the XB1000 in the beginning. Perhaps the Pro 900 may have a place in my heart after a few days of burn-in.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 45
I think its safe to say that it sometimes takes awhile for our brains to get used to a new type of sound signature. Give it time DJ the Pro 900's might still surprise you. Oh by the way if you get a chance get the album Tweekend by The Crystal Method. That album sounds pretty awesome on my 700's considering your 1000's have a bigger sound stage and more refined mids and lows it would probably sound even better.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 45
I spent some time with these last night. I have to say I am not loving it. Not even liking it. The sound signature is not to my liking. I've tried all the amps I own and I can't seem to find a sweet spot. I'm gonna give it some more break-in time, but I don't think it will change much.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 45

Quote:
I spent some time with these last night. I have to say I am not loving it. Not even liking it. The sound signature is not to my liking. I've tried all the amps I own and I can't seem to find a sweet spot. I'm gonna give it some more break-in time, but I don't think it will change much.

I feel the same way, except I do like them, just like my other headphones more. I don't think their bad headphones, I actually really liked them up until my D7000's came in, since then I just see myself not liking  the sound signature, and haven't really been using them at all, which is why I chose to put them in the F/S thread. I'd rather have someone enjoy them because there are many people out there that are in love with their Pro 900. Still really want to know your comparison with the xb1000.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 45
If you dont mind me asking DJ, what genre of music do you mainly listen to? I listen strictly to trance and progressive, and the 900's are infamous for this genre, as I have come to learn. Mine dont arrive until early next week, but having read your impression, Im beginning to have doubts. My only concern is that if I am to spend over $300 on cans, I want it done right.

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 45
If you dont mind me asking DJ, what genre of music do you mainly listen to? I listen strictly to trance and progressive, and the 900's are infamous for this genre, as I have come to learn. Mine dont arrive until early next week, but having read your impression, Im beginning to have doubts. My only concern is that if I am to spend over $300 on cans, I want it done right.

I tried a few genre of music including Trance/House, Rap, Rock, Pop. I can't seem to find a sweet spot for the sound signature. I also tried tube and solid state amp, but have not found a good match.

To date, the XB1000 is FAR better for Trance and electronic music than the Pro 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back