Ultrasone Pro 900 Owners, your opinion?
Oct 2, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 66
Did you get any echoes with that jena cable?

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #19 of 66
The Pro900 have a smooth, full, warm, composed, involving and engaging sound signature that is emphasized by their wonderful musical tonality. The bass is big, but not overbearing, it isn’t bloated since it retains an incredible amount of detail even at extremely low frequencies. The bass is powerful and imparts significant impact and the extension is deep, simply amazing, superb bass. The midrange is warm, refined and very detailed in an involving and musical manner not with an analytical tendency. Good sound stage for a closed set of headphones giving a spacious presentation to the music when required with exceptional instrument separation, which aids the impression of being detailed, accurate and precise. The treble has just the right amount of sparkle, extended, tight, detailed and crisp with regards to cymbals and the like. No excessive sibilance to my ears.
In summary the Pro900 has a rich, intimate and balanced sound with a deep, powerful and refined bass response that is complimented by detailed and controlled treble and mid range frequencies.
Due to their powerful sound the Pro900s handle a lot of different types of music very well. With rock they have the powerful bass and the composed midrange giving everything the right feel, with electronica the tight low end is fast for the pumping beats, with acoustic they have the intimate, detailed midrange to capture the emotion of the music/lyrics. The Ultrasone Pro900s are so close to perfect- IMO of course.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 66
I mean echoes in music not microphonics I do believe? Is that when you touch the cable and it make noise?

I think it´s the wooden cups of the markl D5000 I had that do that but some suggested it could be the jena cables too.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #21 of 66
What Kernmac said, is ALL TRUE!

Currently the 900 is my most-used, "go-to" cans.

L3000.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 66
So I discovered this site yesterday...oops.

20 hours later, I've ordered some Ultrasone PRO 900s and an iBasso D2+ Boa dac/amp. ARGH! Hope this wasn't a decision I'll come to regret. After all, I did work hard to make an informed decision. Still, I've decided to run my logic past you guys in hopes that you can quell any lingering doubts regarding my newfound financial commitment!

First off, I needed a closed-back design. I'm a college student and spend a fair amount of time in the library (though not in the past two days...). As much as I've read that open back designs are more preferred by true audiophiles, I can't help needing to isolate my sound as much as possible. Along with this, I prefer a circumaural design. Secondly, I wanted a pair of phones that were considered by audiophiles to be fantastic. Even though I may not be a true audio-nut yet, I do have a BIG appreciation for music. I care about little things that most people shrug off as imperceptible. So even if I am not a technologically articulate audiophile, deep down I have a lot of potential.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thirdly, I wanted my headphones to be an investment; i.e. would last a long time and would therefore be a tad more expensive.

Requirement one eliminated some otherwise good phones. AKG's were out, unless I wanted to stick to their consumer line-up. Sennheisers were out too, for basically the same reason. (The HD 280 Pro didn't overly impressive me; a buddy owns a pair and I've tried them.) Grados aren't circumaural. I didn't read much about the audio-technica cans, which was a sign in-and-of itself. Denons were kind of bulbousy for my taste, and it didn't appear they were strong contenders in the field.

This left me to decide between the HFI 780s, Beyer DT 770 Pro, and the PRO 900s. This was no easy fight. People apparently love their HFI 780s, especially when modded later on. The Beyers lost my attention, though I no longer recall for what. Eventually I decided to spend a little more and get the 900s in order to satisfy my conditions 2 and 3 (audiophile cans & investment).

To address the standard concerns: I like bass. No, I don't want it to overpower the other ranges, but I imagine my tolerance for bass is higher than others. If in the event I do evolve into a discerning audiophile and I perceive the bass to be overbearing, I'll do the Kees mod and tone it down. Also, I came to learn that these phones need an amp to work even half decently. While a desktop amp would be ideal, I need it to be portable given my current circumstances, so I settled with the iBasso D2+ Boa, since it's a dac/amp, relatively cheap, small, chargeable, and generally viewed favorably by the head-fi community. This will help my computer and iPhone sound decent when using the 900s. And lastly, yes I know I will need to commit to around 400-600 hours of burn-in time to optimize these phones. It's a pain, but I don't mind.

OK. Let me know if I am missing something huge!

I hope I will enjoy them once they get here. I just found out they shipped actually, so next week I can give more info on how they sound out of the box!

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #26 of 66
I've had the 900s for about a month and I adore them. I'm thinking of getting an open can to complement them--a yin to the 900's yang, if you will.

A few posters have mentioned that the HD 650s bear a striking resemblance to the 900s in many ways. Would they be a good open can to go along with the 900s, or are they too close sound-wise? I just hear so many good things about those Sennheisers...

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #27 of 66
They do have a brother/sister relationship... But you know sometimes you hate your annoying sister so there is no guarantees
wink.gif
. They are still quite different but I felt quite at home with the HD 650 going from the Pro 900.

They are good complements in the way the HD 650 is extremely forgiving. You can play really old recordings on it no problem with to much stereo separation or other issues. Very good at hiding sibilance and such as well.

But they where just to dark and unmusical for me. They lacked, detail and definition and soundstaging wasn´t that sophisticated either. I have had more luck with the German Maestro 435S. Also smooth and quite forgiving but overall brighter and more neutral. Not any better in soundstaging though with stock earpads which I use mostly. They speak to another brainhalf then the Pro 900 for me so they are a bit ying for sure.

Something forgiving and softer is a nice as a complement and something without the bass boost.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should not have buyer's remorse. The 900s are great. In my short time into the Ultrasone world, I have noticed one thing that is common (threads, reviews etc.). You either love them or you don't. I liked the 900s so much, I ordered the PRO2500 (not proline) to have an "open" Ultrasone, and I love them too. I also love the upfront presentation of Grados.
eek.gif
...so, no, I'm not a basshead.

As several have posted in other threads, including myself, the bass reaches deep, but it does not take away much from the rest of the spectrum. Again, very hard to explain. It's a very full-bodied and sexy sound without compromising everything else.

More important, the 900s sound good on everything I plug them into (SS, tubes, portable...)

My 900s have over 175 hours on them and my 2500s have over 60 hours and they just keep getting better and better...

YMMV and all this is IMO of course

Enjoy the music....
biggrin.gif

The above post is all true and correct.
The 900 is great.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pro900 have a smooth, full, warm, composed, involving and engaging sound signature that is emphasized by their wonderful musical tonality. The bass is big, but not overbearing, it isn’t bloated since it retains an incredible amount of detail even at extremely low frequencies. The bass is powerful and imparts significant impact and the extension is deep, simply amazing, superb bass. The midrange is warm, refined and very detailed in an involving and musical manner not with an analytical tendency. Good sound stage for a closed set of headphones giving a spacious presentation to the music when required with exceptional instrument separation, which aids the impression of being detailed, accurate and precise. The treble has just the right amount of sparkle, extended, tight, detailed and crisp with regards to cymbals and the like. No excessive sibilance to my ears.
In summary the Pro900 has a rich, intimate and balanced sound with a deep, powerful and refined bass response that is complimented by detailed and controlled treble and mid range frequencies.
Due to their powerful sound the Pro900s handle a lot of different types of music very well. With rock they have the powerful bass and the composed midrange giving everything the right feel, with electronica the tight low end is fast for the pumping beats, with acoustic they have the intimate, detailed midrange to capture the emotion of the music/lyrics. The Ultrasone Pro900s are so close to perfect- IMO of course.

Again -- I strongly agree.
I don't know where people get this "overwhelming bass" stuff....

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heat, thanks for the encouraging response.

I noticed some comment that the 900 could not quite compare against the Ed9. Not suprising given the price difference, but if the review is true that the ALO modified HFI 780 for $595 (Jena cryoed cabling) is 90% up there of the Ed9, I just wonder if it is better to get the ALO 780 instead.

Also there is another ALO 780 version re-cabled with Vampire wire for comparable price basket of $450. I am curious of how these will flare against the 900.

And some have said the PRO 900 match or surpass the Edition 9
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back