Ultrasone Pro 900 Owners, your opinion?
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 66
The comments from those who listened to these cans mostly have the impression of overbearing bass which hopefully will subdue after prolonged burn-in.

I ordered one but then have some buyer remorse....May be better to get the HFI780 with ALO mod. Said to be 90% up there of the Ed9.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comments from those who listened to these cans mostly have the impression of overbearing bass which hopefully will subdue after prolonged burn-in.

I ordered one but then have some buyer remorse....May be better to get the HFI780 with ALO mod. Said to be 90% up there of the Ed9.

You should not have buyer's remorse. The 900s are great. In my short time into the Ultrasone world, I have noticed one thing that is common (threads, reviews etc.). You either love them or you don't. I liked the 900s so much, I ordered the PRO2500 (not proline) to have an "open" Ultrasone, and I love them too. I also love the upfront presentation of Grados.
eek.gif
...so, no, I'm not a basshead.

As several have posted in other threads, including myself, the bass reaches deep, but it does not take away much from the rest of the spectrum. Again, very hard to explain. It's a very full-bodied and sexy sound without compromising everything else.

More important, the 900s sound good on everything I plug them into (SS, tubes, portable...)

My 900s have over 175 hours on them and my 2500s have over 60 hours and they just keep getting better and better...

YMMV and all this is IMO of course

Enjoy the music....
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 66
interesting heatfan12. how do the pro900's compare to the rest of your headphone collection?

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting heatfan12. how do the pro900's compare to the rest of your headphone collection?

Hi Shahrose

That is a great question that I have been trying to answer in the last couple of weeks- "where do they fit in"?

The music I listen to is rock, house, trance, freestyle and hip-hop. I consider the 900s to be great with all those genres. The D5000 also holds its own as an all-arounder with these genres.

I consider the rest of my phones as more genre specific to me. I don't like the DT880s for rock, but they shine with house and trance, making their highs just right. The Grados are rock only cans for me. The Senns have opened up nicely but I don't listen to rock with them.

The problem I have with the Ultrasones is that after listening for an extended period of time, all my other phones sound "dry" compared to them (except the D5000s). After about 30 min. your ears adjust to the sound of the different phones and all is well.

I remember reading that thread "There's Something About Ultrasones" a while back and thinking- what are they talking about? Now I know what it was all about.

I consider them a great fit for my music and usually the first pair I grab when I get home from work to soothe my stressful day...
icon10.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 66
Heat, thanks for the encouraging response.

I noticed some comment that the 900 could not quite compare against the Ed9. Not suprising given the price difference, but if the review is true that the ALO modified HFI 780 for $595 (Jena cryoed cabling) is 90% up there of the Ed9, I just wonder if it is better to get the ALO 780 instead.

Also there is another ALO 780 version re-cabled with Vampire wire for comparable price basket of $450. I am curious of how these will flare against the 900.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heat, thanks for the encouraging response.

I noticed some comment that the 900 could not quite compare against the Ed9. Not suprising given the price difference, but if the review is true that the ALO modified HFI 780 for $595 (Jena cryoed cabling) is 90% up there of the Ed9, I just wonder if it is better to get the ALO 780 instead.

Also there is another ALO 780 version re-cabled with Vampire wire for comparable price basket of $450. I am curious of how these will flare against the 900.

Hi Greeni

My pleasure....Those 780s really look interesting. I have been wanting to mod my SR225s, so I sent Ken an email in reference to that and also to see how the comparisons would be with those modded 780s and the rest of the Ultrasones.
I'll let you know what he writes back...

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Greeni

My pleasure....Those 780s really look interesting. I have been wanting to mod my SR225s, so I sent Ken an email in reference to that and also to see how the comparisons would be with those modded 780s and the rest of the Ultrasones.
I'll let you know what he writes back...

could the 900's not be re-cabled for increased sq?

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 66
It has a unscrewable cable on one side, maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but that should make it easier right?

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 66
the ultrasones are indeed beautiful - I have a 750 pro that is about to be sold due to an upgrade to sennheisers. I was rather satisfied with it coming from a cmoy, with the right amp, it could have done wonders. I wonder how the 900s will prove!

I'm certainly interested in reviews and impressions here

Dec 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 66
Well I already posted a mini review on the other thread, might make it a full review if there is alot of need for it. Tbh I think they are something special and people that judge it without listening to it really are missing out.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ultrasones are indeed beautiful - I have a 750 pro that is about to be sold due to an upgrade to sennheisers. I was rather satisfied with it coming from a cmoy, with the right amp, it could have done wonders. I wonder how the 900s will prove!

I'm certainly interested in reviews and impressions here

Hi,
It's interesting how your statement fell on deaf ears. Of all the posts in this thread, Yours caught my eye. I would like to hear from the guy who is "getting rid" of his Ultrasones in lieu of Senns.

So, I'll ask the question, "why are you switching to Sennheisers from Ultrasones?

And yes I realize it is a 900 thread.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should not have buyer's remorse. The 900s are great. In my short time into the Ultrasone world, I have noticed one thing that is common (threads, reviews etc.). You either love them or you don't. I liked the 900s so much, I ordered the PRO2500 (not proline) to have an "open" Ultrasone, and I love them too. I also love the upfront presentation of Grados.
eek.gif
...so, no, I'm not a basshead.

As several have posted in other threads, including myself, the bass reaches deep, but it does not take away much from the rest of the spectrum. Again, very hard to explain. It's a very full-bodied and sexy sound without compromising everything else.

More important, the 900s sound good on everything I plug them into (SS, tubes, portable...)

My 900s have over 175 hours on them and my 2500s have over 60 hours and they just keep getting better and better...

YMMV and all this is IMO of course

Enjoy the music....
biggrin.gif

I agree with you! the 900's have more bass than the other ultrasone cans i have had (HFI-680,Pro-750,Pro-900). but it does not take away from the ability to hear sounds from the high-end. I let my 900's burn in for over a month before i used them on a regular basis. It was a hard month too! lol
and i find the soundstage to most appealing. I find myself being completely immersed in music every time i listen with them. And i also feel that the bass seems heavy only with most rock music... otherwise most other music i listen to i.e. Alternative, Punk, Instrumental - sounds very precise!

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 66
Funny you would make that comparison. They are like brothers. But Kain and Abel kind of brothers I suppose. They are in some weird way similar and in other ways not similar at all. I felt right at home going from my Pro 900 to the sennheisers and vice versa but that is not saying they sound the same
smily_headphones1.gif

HD 650 is a bit darker and more veiled. Though the 900 is darker then the 750.

but well you have the 750 and 900 is building on that and improve pretty much every aspect of it. wider soundstage, much improved mid range with lots of emotion somehow, smoother treble and bass that goes really low. I don´t know if I agree upon the massive bass boost though but it can be remedied quite well by KeeS modding them. If you like the 750 and don´t find them to bassy it should be quite a safe upgrade I would believe.

Would maybe wait with selling the HD 650 though. I didn´t find much reason to keep my 750 after getting the 900. 750 is very nice and intimate with female singers but it almost got to much of the good there. It freaked me out listening to norah jones whispering in my ear
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back