Ultrasone Pro 900 Owners, your opinion?
Dec 1, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something forgiving and softer is a nice as a complement and something without the bass boost.

That is exactly what I was talking about with the yin/yang metaphor. Right on.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #32 of 66
i recieved my new pro900 headphones today i couldn't believe my ears these were the worst headphones i have ever heard, they had no bass, the treble was tinny and very distant,but the most unusal was the complete absence of any midrange in some cases the voice in the mix dissappeared completely never heard anything so bad, i returned them within an hour of recieving them, all i can suggest is that the headphones were faulty, this has now put me off ultrasone headphones totally, have gone back to my balanced beyer dt880 and at1000, both superb.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recieved my new pro900 headphones today i couldn't believe my ears these were the worst headphones i have ever heard, they had no bass, the treble was tinny and very distant,but the most unusal was the complete absence of any midrange in some cases the voice in the mix dissappeared completely never heard anything so bad, i returned them within an hour of recieving them, all i can suggest is that the headphones were faulty, this has now put me off ultrasone headphones totally, have gone back to my balanced beyer dt880 and at1000, both superb.

I.. think you should go repurchase those PRO900s and give them another shot, as what it sounds like you did is not screw in the cable properly, as what you describe is exactly the sound you get when there's not a proper connection. I think at some point it happens to everyone when they're involved with Ultrasones.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 66
Will the Pro 900 black pads fit the Pro 750?

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I.. think you should go repurchase those PRO900s and give them another shot, as what it sounds like you did is not screw in the cable properly, as what you describe is exactly the sound you get when there's not a proper connection. I think at some point it happens to everyone when they're involved with Ultrasones.

x2. If you've done any reading at all on this site about the 900s, you'll know that what you described is NOT typical of their sound, even without burn-in. Swearing them off after one faulty/poorly connected set would be a mistake.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Pro 900 black pads fit the Pro 750?

From what I understand, the 900 pads are thicker and of a slightly different design than the 750 ones. They're sold as separate part numbers (but at the same price) on Ultrasone's website.

You still might be able to fit them on the 750s, though. Maybe someone else on here has tried it and could comment.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #38 of 66
No idea haven´t heard that one. But it´s a significant upgrade from the HD 650.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pro 900's,is that an upgrade over my Sennheiser HD 25's

Yeah it should be perfect. HD25s are detailed but have a small soundstage. The Pro 900s are also detailed but have a terrific soundstage which is one of there strong points.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, they are IMO the worst sounding headphones I ever listened to.
But no bass
confused.gif

They have a very U-shaped sound. Meaning a lot of bloated bass and sibilant highs.
The mids didn't impress me as well.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they are IMO the worst sounding headphones I ever listened to.

Really strong opinion. May I ask your music preference, maybe they don't do so well for certain genres. I have recently ordered these for myself and now I am getting doubts
confused_face.gif
if I made the right choice after reading your comments and frankly few others on head-fi hate them as well.

I hope they live up to my expectations.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chypa_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really strong opinion. May I ask your music preference, maybe they don't do so well for certain genres. I have recently ordered these for myself and now I am getting doubts
confused_face.gif
if I made the right choice after reading your comments and frankly few others on head-fi hate them as well.

One thing i've learnt from Head-Fi (not a bad thing at all btw) is that opinions on headphones range dramatically. Make up your own mind on how they sound, and don't totally take into account what one person says. The Pro900's are a very nice set of headphones.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chypa_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face.gif

As Kommando wrote, opinions vary widely on Head-fi.
Name a headphone, and some love them to death, others will hate them, and the majority will have a opinion in between.
I listened to them with a headphone amp that does better on higher ohm headphones, so that may be part of the problem.
I'm very sensitive to sibilance, others don't.
My music preference is Americana, folk rock, roots rock, pop, alt-country and the like.
The worse the recording, the worse the Pro900 sounds. And a lot of my recordings are crap.
You can still do the Kees-mod to tame the bass.
They were just not to my cup of tea, so my statement is too bold, for which I apologize.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing i've learnt from Head-Fi (not a bad thing at all btw) is that opinions on headphones range dramatically. Make up your own mind on how they sound, and don't totally take into account what one person says. The Pro900's are a very nice set of headphones.

Thanks, that took away some of my anxiety. I have being waiting for these headphones. I have been pressing F5 on USPS page every 2seconds for the last few days. first thing that went through my mind when I read phrase "worst ever!!" why did I have to spend 400usd on a headphone when I already love my hd595.
redface.gif
400usd means a lot to me.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #45 of 66
I guess most of the people who hate them haven't spend any time adjusting the headphone on their head. The sound of the PRO 900 can change dramatically when not positioned correctly due to the S-Logic ( they can be harsh and sibilant if the speaker is too close of the ear opening, and the headstage collapse).
They are very engaging and immersive heapdhone. My only grip is that I often have to spend the first 5 mn messing around with them on my head before finding that sweet spot. But then.....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back