Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #5,566 of 5,992

lol funny how HDMIs are the one thing i really don't care about quality. i have all cheap gold plated 5$ cables from amazon. never had any problems

for audio, i've been using audioquest, easy to get, and look nice, without paying a whole lot. i don't think they make a huge difference, but doesn't matter, i won't buy the cheapest cable, nor will i spend hundreds or thousands even for their most expensive models.

Sorry for getting this thread off topic, but from what I've heard the quality from the $100 Monster cable and the $2 who cares what brand cable in none.
Yet another scam from monster making the misinformed pay 50x more for the same quality. 
angry_face.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #5,567 of 5,992

sheeezz...swear it went down to 10hzzzz....awesome surroundillogic...watever it is..the pro900 is kickassss.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #5,568 of 5,992
Hi!

Can anyone opine how do Pro 900s compare vis-a-vis V Moda M-100s on sound performance.

I recently tried M-100s and found them just a shade more forward sounding than my Beyers DT770 32ohm LE. Therefore less on fun and energy for EDM, Rock I am looking for, and hoping to get from Pro 900. Am I correct in my assessment?

Thanks!

To me there's no comparison, Pro900 hands down in just about any category. M-100 just didn't do it for me and my Pro900's get more head time than any of my phones.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #5,569 of 5,992
Hey everyone. I just figured I would pop in and say hello since I just purchased a set of Pro 900's. I picked them up used from DDCPITT, a user here on the forums. I updated from a pair of Dre beats studios I had for 2 years. I have the Ultrasone Pro 900's connected through a Fiio E17. This is the first really good pair of Audiophile headphones I have owned and though I can hear the quality of the headphones and how music sounds etc I am not particularly adept at describing it in a review as others on here. So I will simply say WOW. These things are mental. I purchased the specifically for Movies/ EDM. I figured that at this price range and quality if I just Eq'd down the bass they would still server much better than the Beats for almost any other style I listen too such as Rock, country, etc. I was correct. The sound separation is surprisingly good considering how insane and tight the bass is. I figured it would muddy the mids more but it isn't too bad. I found the highs to be really hot at the start but I have many hours on them now and Eq'd the treble down a touch on my E17 and they are much better. I really love these headphones and they really perform well for my tastes. I will leave off with a question. Should I do the Kees mod ? it seems fairly easy to me and I was hoping to bring out the mids a touch and maybe tone down the brightness on the highs. I was thinking I would just try and if change it back if I don't like it. Thanks !

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,571 of 5,992
Well, I found a price I couldn't refuse on the PRO 900 so within a couple days I'll be joining you folks in the PRO 900 owner's club. :wink:

I previously had the PRO 750 but I lent it to a friend and it turns out that he really loves them and uses them every day so I'm going to let him keep them. Does anyone have experience with the PRO 750 vs. the PRO 900? I imagine they are very similar because pretty much all of the descriptions I've read here about the PRO 900 matched my experience with the 750. It will be nice to have a bassmonster in my headphones stable again.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #5,572 of 5,992
My PRO 900s just arrived. 
basshead.gif

By memory these sound even slightly bassier than the 750s were but I remember those changed quite a bit in the beginning so we'll see. But Its awesome to have these subwoofers strapped to my head again. Its not just that its monster bass .. its the amazing bass texture. Love these.

I lucked out big time. Brand new PRO 900s for $220 shipped. 
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #5,573 of 5,992
*crickets*

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the DT880 and HD600 appreciation threads but isn't there usually more chatter in here?

I'm lovin the PRO 900. The bass seems kind of boomy right now but I remember the 750s being the same way for the first 10 or 20 hours or so. They're also not overly bright really which is another thing I noticed on the 750s initially. Unfortunately when the bass tightened up on the 750s the treble also got brighter and then it sounded a lot more like I expected it to from reviews. I imagine the same thing will be happening with these 900s. Which I'm fine with. Even with the somewhat boomy bass they have now they sound great.

I noticed some photos that showed the PRO 900 including 1 set of black and 1 set of silver velour pads instead of 2 sets of black. Did anyone get silver velours with theirs? They look pretty sweet on the PRO 900 in photos. Mine came with 2 sets of black though.

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #5,574 of 5,992
  *crickets*

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the DT880 and HD600 appreciation threads but isn't there usually more chatter in here?

I'm lovin the PRO 900. The bass seems kind of boomy right now but I remember the 750s being the same way for the first 10 or 20 hours or so. They're also not overly bright really which is another thing I noticed on the 750s initially. Unfortunately when the bass tightened up on the 750s the treble also got brighter and then it sounded a lot more like I expected it to from reviews. I imagine the same thing will be happening with these 900s. Which I'm fine with. Even with the somewhat boomy bass they have now they sound great.

I noticed some photos that showed the PRO 900 including 1 set of black and 1 set of silver velour pads instead of 2 sets of black. Did anyone get silver velours with theirs? They look pretty sweet on the PRO 900 in photos. Mine came with 2 sets of black though.

I got two black pair of velour pads with mine....................

I still love the Pro900 and many times it gets more head time than any of my others.  That bass...............that bass is just incredible. 

Great price by the way!  I paid $252 and thought I got a deal from Amazon! 

And the Pro900 is old news, which is why there's no activity.  No longer a FOTM.  Go over to the Alpha Dog thread if you want to see hype.  Still means nothing - the Pro900 is one of the best headphones out there in my opinion.  I'll never sell mine. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #5,575 of 5,992
i upgraded to fostex TH-900, i still miss the pro 900s though, would be a nice portable headphone for me to have, i love their build quality and sound.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #5,576 of 5,992
Hi!

After series of auditions, internet reads and comparisons I too have joined your group of Pro 900s. What's great for me, they sound very well from my iPhone 5. Think its the shorter cable with the 3.5 mm jack (or wonder if its iOS7 !!) that helps them sound well with volume at 60-70%. During the audition I was trying them with the coiled cable with 1/4" jack and adapter and I needed to up my volume to about 90-100% - I don't know if that was the difference...

Anyway am very happy with them. A very good complimentary to my DT770 LEs. Thank you all who advised me here and all of you who have shared so much of knowledge about them and other headphones. Owe to you all here at Head-Fi!!

beerchug.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #5,577 of 5,992
I noticed some photos that showed the PRO 900 including 1 set of black and 1 set of silver velour pads instead of 2 sets of black. Did anyone get silver velours with theirs? ...

I am listening to Hardwell on mine right now with the E17.

Mine came exactly as in your photo but that was like four years ago. I found both of those cables to be too long so when I found a local store in my old home town with the shorter cable, I picked it up and use it all the time now. I haven't tried the silver velour pads yet so I don't know if there is any sound difference. BTW, these velour pads can be easily washed with lukewarm water and even a touch of liquid detergent if you feel its necessary.

I will never sell mine, they are keepers for me.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #5,578 of 5,992
Well I've left my PRO 900s burning in overnight and they are still boomy in the bass to the point that it hurts my ears to use them. If the bass doesn't get tamed over time they will be essentially unusable for me, at least as all-arounders, and I'll move on to trying some mods to see what I can come up with. At this point I prefer and recommend the 750s over the 900s. Same awesome bass texture, less ear aches and echoey boom.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #5,580 of 5,992
getting my new Pro 900s in tomorrow!!

was wondering what's the best way/ duration to "burn" them in. I am a noob when it comes to this stuff so any suggestions will help!

From what I've read the burn in is really long. Some people said 80 hours, but I've even seen someone say 200 hours.
I guess that the burn in varies. I don't really know too much about this, but the leas I can do is tell you what I've heard.

As for how to burn in headphones I found this helpful
http://www.jlabaudio.com/index/burn-in

On a side note I'm probably getting my pro 900's sometime later today.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back