Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #5,551 of 5,992
Been considering rebuying these as an on the go headphone for work...

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #5,552 of 5,992
Get a used Signature DJ instead if you can. Much better in everything. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #5,553 of 5,992
nah, for the price of the signature, i'd rather just end up going for pink Edition 8's

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #5,554 of 5,992
Been considering rebuying these as an on the go headphone for work...

Great portable solution. If you get them, try some Alpha pads on them - think you'll be impressed. There's a few for sale for around $250 as well.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #5,555 of 5,992
Hi!!

I have a Beyer DT770 32ohm limited edition pair and now looking for a more energetic, forward sounding set to enjoy those moods and genres. My usage will be with my iPhone 5, but if an amp will significantly help, may consider, perhaps the FiiO E12. It is the carrying of multiple gadgets and wires I want to avoid and thus the reluctance for amp.

Am a little confused between the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Yamaha 500 Pro. I have tried both and sound terms I think the Ultrasones are much better but am apprehensive if they can be driven well by my phone. During my audition I had to consistently keep my volume to around 90%. Yamaha 500 are very well driven but I found their sound piercing the ear at times and (perhaps) missed those nuances I got to hear so clearly from the Ultrasones.

Am a novice and thus this request for advice from you all here. If there is any other pair that you'd want to recommend, I'd be glad to explore.

Many Thanks!

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5,556 of 5,992
  Hi!!

I have a Beyer DT770 32ohm limited edition pair and now looking for a more energetic, forward sounding set to enjoy those moods and genres. My usage will be with my iPhone 5, but if an amp will significantly help, may consider, perhaps the FiiO E12. It is the carrying of multiple gadgets and wires I want to avoid and thus the reluctance for amp.

Am a little confused between the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Yamaha 500 Pro. I have tried both and sound terms I think the Ultrasones are much better but am apprehensive if they can be driven well by my phone. During my audition I had to consistently keep my volume to around 90%. Yamaha 500 are very well driven but I found their sound piercing the ear at times and (perhaps) missed those nuances I got to hear so clearly from the Ultrasones.

Am a novice and thus this request for advice from you all here. If there is any other pair that you'd want to recommend, I'd be glad to explore.

Many Thanks!

The Pro 900s can be driven from an iPhone 5, but they won't sound their best without a good amp. If you really cannot carry around a small portable amp or find a good set up for the Pro 900 then maybe check out the HFI780 and Pro DJ1 headphones from Ultrasone. They don't sound as good as the Pro 900s or maybe not even as good as the DT770, but they definitely have massive bass that you'd enjoy. 

Honestly, I would just advise getting the Pro 900 and FiiO E12. That would be a beastly portable combo, and easily would be better than your current set up of just Beyers. Anything below the Pro 900 model from Ultrasone probably isn't worth your time to get because it would be a downgrade in some areas from the DT770s. Pro 900 + Amp that has different EQs is a pretty solid all around set up.

If you REALLY don't want to get an amp and want to just put the extra cash into something much better you can go for the Ultrasone Signature DJs if you have the funds. They also have 32 impedance and are more sensitive than the Pro 900s so they wouldn't need an amp at all (although it goes without saying that a can like the SigDJs would greatly benefit from one, but by no means necessary). 

Hope that helps.    

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5,557 of 5,992
last time i tried it out, they kinda sucked out of an iphone/ipod. these need a little more power than a grado or a denon, just a little bit more. a simple 20$ fiio or cmoy type thingy works very well. any cheap headphone amp is enough for these. (my crappy nuforce icon mobile works very well)

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #5,558 of 5,992

The Pro 900s can be driven from an iPhone 5, but they won't sound their best without a good amp. If you really cannot carry around a small portable amp or find a good set up for the Pro 900 then maybe check out the HFI780 and Pro DJ1 headphones from Ultrasone. They don't sound as good as the Pro 900s or maybe not even as good as the DT770, but they definitely have massive bass that you'd enjoy. 

Honestly, I would just advise getting the Pro 900 and FiiO E12. That would be a beastly portable combo, and easily would be better than your current set up of just Beyers. Anything below the Pro 900 model from Ultrasone probably isn't worth your time to get because it would be a downgrade in some areas from the DT770s. Pro 900 + Amp that has different EQs is a pretty solid all around set up.

If you REALLY don't want to get an amp and want to just put the extra cash into something much better you can go for the Ultrasone Signature DJs if you have the funds. They also have 32 impedance and are more sensitive than the Pro 900s so they wouldn't need an amp at all (although it goes without saying that a can like the SigDJs would greatly benefit from one, but by no means necessary). 

Hope that helps.    

last time i tried it out, they kinda sucked out of an iphone/ipod. these need a little more power than a grado or a denon, just a little bit more. a simple 20$ fiio or cmoy type thingy works very well. any cheap headphone amp is enough for these. (my crappy nuforce icon mobile works very well)

Got your point. Many thanks and think will be more flexible to accommodate an amp to enjoy the Pro 900s fully. The Signatures are way beyond my budget :) am looking for something within $400.

Any thoughts on how the FiiO's Rocky E02i will work with them? Its very compact, a clip-on and very iPhone friendly with mic and controls. Advice please?

Another question, how does the frequency response of an amp and of an headphone matter? For example FiiO amp has a response of 20-20k Hz, that's narrower than the response of Ultrasones - does it matter?
And also given the human audible range is 20-20k Hz, how does a wider response from a headphone help?

Best Regards,

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #5,559 of 5,992

Got your point. Many thanks and think will be more flexible to accommodate an amp to enjoy the Pro 900s fully. The Signatures are way beyond my budget :) am looking for something within $400.

Any thoughts on how the FiiO's Rocky E02i will work with them? Its very compact, a clip-on and very iPhone friendly with mic and controls. Advice please?

Another question, how does the frequency response of an amp and of an headphone matter? For example FiiO amp has a response of 20-20k Hz, that's narrower than the response of Ultrasones - does it matter?
And also given the human audible range is 20-20k Hz, how does a wider response from a headphone help?

Best Regards,

screw frequency response, just about every component nowadays especially audiophile gear will  have a full frequency response, and what you hear matters more than what they say. i think response doesn't really mean a whole lot nowadays, what matters is just the overall quality of what you're buying

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #5,560 of 5,992
u will need something that goes down to 10hz.... no? 
tongue_smile.gif

this pro900 is so scalable...jus buy whats within your budget first,
then upgrade as u get promoted to a CEO position.
beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #5,562 of 5,992
S logic is marketing hype, i can't hear it at all.

its like stuff they advertise with cables and whatnot. 

get it for the bass and sound signature, not the S logic.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #5,564 of 5,992

I was planning on that anyway. 
biggrin.gif

And don't even get me started on the monster HDMI cable.

lol funny how HDMIs are the one thing i really don't care about quality. i have all cheap gold plated 5$ cables from amazon. never had any problems

for audio, i've been using audioquest, easy to get, and look nice, without paying a whole lot. i don't think they make a huge difference, but doesn't matter, i won't buy the cheapest cable, nor will i spend hundreds or thousands even for their most expensive models.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #5,565 of 5,992
Hi!

Can anyone opine how do Pro 900s compare vis-a-vis V Moda M-100s on sound performance.

I recently tried M-100s and found them just a shade more forward sounding than my Beyers DT770 32ohm LE. Therefore less on fun and energy for EDM, Rock I am looking for, and hoping to get from Pro 900. Am I correct in my assessment?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back