Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #5,446 of 5,992
You mean you've pulled out the mini-plug at the headphone end (not at the amp end) while they were playing and then plugged it back in? That's exactly how I blew up the right speaker in my Q40s. Heard a little "pop" and that was that. I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but I've never had the nerve to try it again. Just a word to the wise... :wink:

Yep, on a few headphones actually. There's no difference which end you're disconnecting. I don't suggest doing this; best practice is to turn the volume of the amplifier down before unplugging, but I've yet to kill a headphone by hotplugging them - most of my devices are relay protected though, and those that aren't, aren't cheap/unstable...:ph34r:

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #5,447 of 5,992
Quote:
Yep, on a few headphones actually. There's no difference which end you're disconnecting. I don't suggest doing this; best practice is to turn the volume of the amplifier down before unplugging, but I've yet to kill a headphone by hotplugging them - most of my devices are relay protected though, and those that aren't, aren't cheap/unstable...
ph34r.gif

Good to know... Thanks 

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #5,448 of 5,992
I had the PRO 900s but sent them back in favor of the HFI 780s. I found the high frequencies to be just too piercing on the 900s...honestly I'm not sure how people can stand it. I listen to a lot of metal, and the 900s really brought of the "hiss" in all the cymbal crashes. I believe that's called "sibilance." 

My only complaint is that the 900s were more comfortable than the 780s are...which is why I have a set of PRO 750s coming today. I'm hoping they have the comfort of the 900s with the mellower sound of the HFI 780s. We shall see.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #5,449 of 5,992
Hey guys, it's been a while. Just wanted to update you. My PRO 900 came back from Ultrasone a month ago, and I'm now completely satisfied with them! No distortion or clipping whatsoever at normal listening levels anymore. I even bought a HifiMan EF2A tube amp/dac, and the PRO 900 really benefit from it. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #5,450 of 5,992
Quote:
I had the PRO 900s but sent them back in favor of the HFI 780s. I found the high frequencies to be just too piercing on the 900s...honestly I'm not sure how people can stand it. I listen to a lot of metal, and the 900s really brought of the "hiss" in all the cymbal crashes. I believe that's called "sibilance." 

My only complaint is that the 900s were more comfortable than the 780s are...which is why I have a set of PRO 750s coming today. I'm hoping they have the comfort of the 900s with the mellower sound of the HFI 780s. We shall see.

You thought the treble was piercing on the 900s? Wow, my PRO 900s sound dark compared to my HFI 580s (which has less treble than the 780!)... Weird. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #5,451 of 5,992
Quote:

Yeah let us know. I'm interested to know how the 750 and 900 compare.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #5,452 of 5,992
Wow, the accessories are ridiculously expensive from Ultrasone. The 1/4" terminated cable that comes with the Pro 900's costs $83 on their site, and the earpads are $58 for a pair. So the extra coiled cable, earpads, and case that come with the headphones add up to $185 retail, which is 33.7% of the headphone's retail price. Scaling that down to the current street price, it seems that they could sell the headphones for under $200 on Amazon if the accessories were not included, and the lightning deal they ran a while back would put the headphones around $130.
eek.gif

The accessories are great, but given the choice, I'd forgo them in exchange for a lower price. Of course, Ultrasone probably charges a much higher profit margin for the accessories than for the complete package, but getting rid of the accessories would still drop the price considerably.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5,453 of 5,992
Agreed, Tsujigiri.

You thought the treble was piercing on the 900s? Wow, my PRO 900s sound dark compared to my HFI 580s (which has less treble than the 780!)... Weird. 

The whole time I was reviewing these headphones before purchase I had a lot of complaints about the highs. They sound dark compared to my AD900s. I add the Noise Sharpening DSP and set it to 50%.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #5,456 of 5,992
Hi all, i'll be getting my pro 900 and e11 tomorrow, i have questions to ask, does anybody have any preference to "burn in" the can? I heard pink noise is a good idea, but i dont know for sure :wink: and on what level of volume should i play them on? Should it be super loud? Or just normal hearing level? And how long do you think it will take till it is 'mature'?

Thanks all :wink:

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #5,457 of 5,992
Quote:
Hi all, i'll be getting my pro 900 and e11 tomorrow, i have questions to ask, does anybody have any preference to "burn in" the can? I heard pink noise is a good idea, but i dont know for sure
wink.gif
and on what level of volume should i play them on? Should it be super loud? Or just normal hearing level? And how long do you think it will take till it is 'mature'?

Thanks all
wink.gif

Just use them. Any burn-in will happen naturally over time. You might as well be enjoying them while it happens (or doesn't happen, depending on who you ask).

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #5,458 of 5,992
Hi,

(I have also created a separate thread for this - if needed, pls remove that one or this reply, txs)  

I am in the market for these (as far as I can judge) brilliant headphones, and have found them at Amazon
for a reasonable price (unfortunately not the Lightning Deal).

But the one offered there, seems to be (or are) the old versions of this product.

From Ultrasone I got confirmed:

- Old Version: til May 2010 – 2 pcs. of 3 m cables (straight / coiled) and silver and black ear pads, adapter.
- Current Version: from June 2010 on – 1 pcs. of 1,5 m straight cable + 3 m coiled cable – 2 pairs of black ear pads, no adapter, with soft lack painting.

Also, when comparing more specs, there are some (important?) differences:

Old model:
Frequency range: 8-35.000 Hz 
Sound pressure level: 94 dB 

New model:
Frequency range: 6-42.000Hz
Sound pressure level: 96 dB

Also I am not sure if both offer S-Logic Natural Surround Sound Plus, or if the old model "only" offers S-Logic PLUS technology.

As far as I can judge, all these differences can make a significant difference between the two versions.

Question: Are all the "rave reviews" given at this forum based upon the old or new version?

Question: Has anybody tried both versions, and if so, were there differences? (taken burn-in into account)
Question: Is the "Kees Mod" applied on the old or new version?
 * Any other useful comment is much appreciated *

P.S. I have tried the new model already and liked their sound (although I don't know the burn-in time of these).

Txs in advance

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #5,460 of 5,992
Quote:
Hi all, i'll be getting my pro 900 and e11 tomorrow, i have questions to ask, does anybody have any preference to "burn in" the can? I heard pink noise is a good idea, but i dont know for sure
wink.gif
and on what level of volume should i play them on? Should it be super loud? Or just normal hearing level? And how long do you think it will take till it is 'mature'?

Thanks all
wink.gif

Everyone has their own opinions on burn in but for me I played pink noise in them and played them at a high listening volume most of the time. I start out with just a normal listening volume at first until they burn in for about 24 hours (that's just me though). I noticed the biggest change happen after 48-50hrs. The mids were more present and the bass was tighter and sounded better to me. Later that went away again after more burn in. About 50 more (100 total) hours in I noticed a huge change again making the bass less muddy and the mids were more noticeable again (this changed again after more burn in). Changes were noticeable to me up to about 250 hours and I stopped burning them in after 300 but they probably are still slightly changing. 50 hours and 100 hours are the places I noticed significant changes that ended up changing again after more burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back