Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #5,117 of 5,992
Quote:
:O :O :O what sorcery is this!? This is ******* awesome!! The bass is so awesome!!!! With the rest being so clear!!! Nero - Must be the feeling at 2:30 :O 

Yes, punchy, controlled and well defined with that huge mid-bass SLAM... every positive adjective you would use to describe bass that does not get in the way of the rest of the spectrum. That is the PRO 900's legendary bass.

Oh and 2:30 of "Nero - Must Be The Feeling" is really awesome, I agree completely, gotta love that morphing growl on that bassline...

Oh and if you like a good morphing bassline this track is for you...

smile.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5,119 of 5,992
Quote:
I'm literally listening to this song smiling and shaking my head! I'm starting to understand the Pro 900's legendary bass now! Oh and while discovering songs I had never heard before! 

I feel it takes a few listens to realize just how awesome a track is...the zomboy song you posted...the more i listen to it the more amazing it sounds...i can for sure ear mark that track for it's clarity and clean bass alone. So, equally thanks for sharing. :)

I do have a few more tracks that I could link if your interested in liquid DnB.

I buy everything in lossless. Youtube is really just a preview for tracks because the maximum audio bit-rate of uploaded videos is only 192kbps. Lossless is when i want to take a track to the next level and the difference is usually worth the premium...and I always feel good about supporting the artist.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #5,120 of 5,992
The Pro 900 has such a weird sound soundstage. Didn't impress me for most genres in my opinion due to the very distant midrange but this is my go to can for your electronic/trance type of music.

Can't say I like the metal faceplates, they scratch too easily.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #5,121 of 5,992
My beatport/redeye top dozen at the moment: 1.Placid-particlesPLAYAZ026 2.MSDOS-souldrops(djclart remix) 3.Ink,BTK-dreamworld(original mix) 4.2db-break the walls (original mix) 5.flytch,captain crunch,carmen forbes-raindrops(dc breaks mix) 6.Undersound-old superstitions 7.Rene Lavice-dank(original mix) 8.Prolix-the shakes(original mix) 9.The others-the way you make me(SPY remix) 10.Trei-mumbo jumbo(original mix) 11.A.I.,command strange-broken ground(original mix) 12.Mage and atp-Go down. If that dont get your booty movin I dont kno what will. All sound amazing on my pro 9 but I must admit my LA-D2000's have been eating up all my freetime.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #5,122 of 5,992
I love my pro 900's. I have an Ibasso D12 with the TopKit and am using the pink coded opamp and TopKit buffers. I also use iTunes on my my MacBook Air with music cd's ripped to WAV format. I notice I like to use the equalizer in iTunes to make small changes in the sound signature. Have made my own custom cable for these headphones using an Ultrasone adapter I ordered from quables and 22 gauge SXC cable from ALO Audio(I love their cable and Ken is awesome!). This cable seems to give the music a more livelier sound like being at a live performance!
As much as I love these headphones and Ultrasone am curious about the new Ultrasone Signature DJ. Am waiting for reviews to find out will the sound quality be much improved. Hope the bass will be even more powerful and detailed similar or better compared to the Edition 9!

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,123 of 5,992
Quote:
Pro 900's are headphones you have to get used to. Once your brain "burns-in" and get used to how they sound, you'll like them even more. That was my experience when I first got them.
But keep in mind that it's not really about head rattling bass, but a mix of great quality & quantity. If you just want bass quantity, with no concern of quality and how the rest will sound, the Sony XB headphones are good for that purpose.
(Or I should say, it can be achieved with any cheap headphone). In my opinion, Pro 900 are some of the best headphones you will find for EDM. Get some Infected Mushroom in good quality, and you'll see what I'm talking about!
basshead.gif

For anyone with Pro 900 I suggest you try RPGWizard's Foobar2000 configuration. It sounds amazing with Pro 900.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss
That sounds incredible!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh that note of the XB series you need to specify which, the XB 500 has more impact thant he Pro 900 but it's a little muddy and everything elese sounds rather bland, the Xb 700 is purely for Sub Bass and reqiures a simple mod[I hae em an Dub Step is divine on them] and lasty the XB 1000 is the Pro 900's match... except the bass is the Tradtional XB series Soft Bass, there'e not going to be the SLAM like you have witht the pro 900 and again these while handleing the mid bass muhc better than the 700 still have that Sub Heavy Sound Signiture. So for the Pro 900 vs the XB1000 it really depends on what kinda of bass you enjoy, the XB doesn't slam as well as the Pro 900 but has more bass Detail and is smoother, where as the Pro 900 [while still having good detail and better sound elese where] has more impact and is not as smooth... :D

But the Pro 900's are to bizzare for me... I don't plan on saving up to by them as the idea of "your brain gets used to the" sounds to fickle for me! Bu yea glad you guys are enjoying them :D sadly I'm still a Sony XB and Byerdyanmic guy <3 [w8ing to get some cash for the Dt 990 Pros ^^]

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5,124 of 5,992
Oh that note of the XB series you need to specify which, the XB 500 has more impact thant he Pro 900 but it's a little muddy and everything elese sounds rather bland, the Xb 700 is purely for Sub Bass and reqiures a simple mod[I hae em an Dub Step is divine on them] and lasty the XB 1000 is the Pro 900's match... except the bass is the Tradtional XB series Soft Bass, there'e not going to be the SLAM like you have witht the pro 900 and again these while handleing the mid bass muhc better than the 700 still have that Sub Heavy Sound Signiture. So for the Pro 900 vs the XB1000 it really depends on what kinda of bass you enjoy, the XB doesn't slam as well as the Pro 900 but has more bass Detail and is smoother, where as the Pro 900 [while still having good detail and better sound elese where] has more impact and is not as smooth... :D

But the Pro 900's are to bizzare for me... I don't plan on saving up to by them as the idea of "your brain gets used to the" sounds to fickle for me! Bu yea glad you guys are enjoying them :D sadly I'm still a Sony XB and Byerdyanmic guy <3 [w8ing to get some cash for the Dt 990 Pros ^^]

The point was, ( which I pointed out), if you purely want boomy undefined bass, go with any cheap headphone, as most can achieve that purpose. Either you like the Pro 900 straight away or you don't. Some people like them even more the more you use them.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5,125 of 5,992
It's true I like them much more then I originally did.

The only two complaints i have now is that they sound metallic in their overall tonality and the top of the headband is painful sometimes...

Other then that the detail retrieval, overall clarity and mid-bass punch of these cans is just phenomenal.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #5,126 of 5,992
I am having trouble deciding which is better for the PRO 900's high gain or low gain on my FiiO E10.

I am not sure if i am hearing more bass on high gain or if it's just placebo...

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #5,127 of 5,992
Quote:
The point was, ( which I pointed out), if you purely want boomy undefined bass, go with any cheap headphone, as most can achieve that purpose. Either you like the Pro 900 straight away or you don't. Some people like them even more the more you use them.

Not so, the XB 1000 has better control and sub bass than the pro 900... just poor Mid bass mids and highs xD

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #5,128 of 5,992
Not so, the XB 1000 has better control and sub bass than the pro 900... just poor Mid bass mids and highs xD

I'm not talking about XB 1000. Although, I wouldn't agree it has better control than Pro 900. XB 1000 has more sub-bass quantity, but Pro 900 has great bass control, less sub-bass and excellent mid bass.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #5,129 of 5,992
I have found some flac files however this might be a bit of a newb question hehe
How do I play flac files on my computer?
How loud do you listen to them? I'm afraid of cranking up the volume on my fiio e11 since the left driver blew with my receiver :S

Once again thanks for your help sidwulf!!! :)

Also a great thing to use with Foobar is the WASAPI addon component. It's why I use Foobar. Install that component then in output devices you'll see an entry similar to WASAPI: E11. By using WASAPI you skip Microsoft software audio stack. This will remove all the audio modifiers and effects that might have been enabled. Of course, if you're using OSX, none of this means anything :p

Enjoy!

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #5,130 of 5,992
Something i noticed isnt talked alot about with the PRO 900's is the sub-bass....how does this compare to other cans, I would assume it's as good as the mid-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back