Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #5,087 of 5,992
Quote:
I don't know to much about those Sony's  -  I'll stick with my Pro 900s.  

Dose anyone know where to get a "new" pair of Denon D5000s from?

Yea the Sonys r Budget kings, and when u hit 700+ SUB kings. Pro 900's are most likely better just due to the increase in build quality [hopefully] 

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #5,089 of 5,992
Not to hijack this thread, but I seem to be getting no info over in the amp forums. What are you all using with these for desktop amps/dacs? My post from the amp forums:

Home:
Source: Custom desktop w/ onboard audio / Apple iMac
Amp/Dac: Denon AVR-1312
Cans: Ultrasone Pro 900
Speakers: Energy RC-10

At home, I am limited to plugging my cans into onboard audio on my iMac (unless I use a TOS link cable and switch the A/V to the iMac from desktop) or straight into the Denon A/V Receiver. I do a fair amount of gaming, but its not my priority. I generally listen to music with my speakers but as with many people, thats not always an option when people are sleeping or you just want some isolation. 

Types of music vary: classic rock, techno, classical, alternative, acoustic, etc. For my desktop, I was thinking about picking up a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD card to bypass the onboard audio, but how much of a difference will I really see? My Denon setup needs to stay there so I can enjoy my speakers, but overall I want to take steps to improve the quality when listening to my cans.

Preferably I would be looking for options that would work on both the desktop and iMac, but its not a deal-breaker. If I had to choose one as the source I would say that would depend on what the options are (obviously I cant install the above sound card on the iMac, but I know there are DACs and USB cards available). 

My budget would be as high as $500, but I would like to keep it more in the $350 range if possible. Thoughts? 

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #5,090 of 5,992
Quote:
Friend brought these over the other day, these cans are truely subwoofer in ear and also needles in ear.

Mod them and I promise you those Harsh Highs will go away, and that bass will have a little more control! [Then again ur sensitive to highs, I've got the Dt 880s on now and I don't find them at all harsh] Also... eww OUCH, man 'm glad I got the Dt 880s the Xb 700s make Nu Jazz sound cluttered and... Rocky... BAD STUFF, I still would like a little more warm'th out of the Dt 880's but nothing an amp can't fix [and the E11 might be that amp]

Ehm anyways, yea the XB 700's r nice for Dub Step and only DubStep, use a Dark Amp and a Dark DAP and the Xbs are Dub Step Kings 

but Dt 880s r enjoyable <3, now I'm itching to buy the Dt 990s! Sadly though I don't have any good music to test the Dt 880s one... just one Nujabes Loseless album [Spiritual State... not my fav >.>] 

But yea for the guy with the 500 Budget, try a Dt 990 cMoy Amp Can combo, the cMoy is nice for Impact on the Mid Lacking xb 700 so it should be magical with a mid heavy can like the dt 990

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #5,091 of 5,992
Quote:
But yea for the guy with the 500 Budget, try a Dt 990 cMoy Amp Can combo, the cMoy is nice for Impact on the Mid Lacking xb 700 so it should be magical with a mid heavy can like the dt 990

Thanks, but I dont want to buy new cans. I am satisfied with the Pro 900's. I was looking for a desktop amp/dac that was a big more stylish as well. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #5,092 of 5,992
Quote:

Thanks, but I dont want to buy new cans. I am satisfied with the Pro 900's. I was looking for a desktop amp/dac that was a big more stylish as well. 

if U enjoy it then I'm happy to hear it! the E7 E9 Desktop combo is good from what I hear

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5,093 of 5,992
Quote:
Mod them and I promise you those Harsh Highs will go away, and that bass will have a little more control! [Then again ur sensitive to highs, I've got the Dt 880s on now and I don't find them at all harsh] Also... eww OUCH, man 'm glad I got the Dt 880s the Xb 700s make Nu Jazz sound cluttered and... Rocky... BAD STUFF, I still would like a little more warm'th out of the Dt 880's but nothing an amp can't fix [and the E11 might be that amp]

Ehm anyways, yea the XB 700's r nice for Dub Step and only DubStep, use a Dark Amp and a Dark DAP and the Xbs are Dub Step Kings 

but Dt 880s r enjoyable <3, now I'm itching to buy the Dt 990s! Sadly though I don't have any good music to test the Dt 880s one... just one Nujabes Loseless album [Spiritual State... not my fav >.>] 

Yeh i'll probs suggest to him to get em modded. I actually found the 880's to be not harsh at all in the time that i owned it. 990's are really decent headphones, real fun to listen to, however they've been collecting dust ever since the HD800s moved in.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5,094 of 5,992
Quote:
Yeh i'll probs suggest to him to get em modded. I actually found the 880's to be not harsh at all in the time that i owned it. 990's are really decent headphones, real fun to listen to, however they've been collecting dust ever since the HD800s moved in.

Yea I got the 880s now not at all harsh [u ppl r just crazy] and I also like the 990s. Still though HD 800 is some SERIOUS bank... plus every one knows Sennhieser, I think I'll stick with Byerdyanamic and Hifiman from here on out

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #5,095 of 5,992
Just a reminder a have my Pro 900 for sale in the EU.

Check my signature.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #5,096 of 5,992
Quote:
Just a reminder a have my Pro 900 for sale in the EU.

Check my signature.

aww EU only, oh well glad we have that big a community! Still though I'm sure some one elese will be thrilled to hear about it

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #5,097 of 5,992
Got my ears cleaned today...MASSIVE giant black lumps of who knows what came out of both sides....incredible that i could hear at all.

WOW, do the PRO 900's sound different...The bass feels like it's shaking the cups now...I must really take a good listen to these headphones again..

Who ever said it....your right there was something wrong with my ears...

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #5,098 of 5,992
Quote:
Got my ears cleaned today...MASSIVE giant black lumps of who knows what came out of both sides....incredible that i could hear at all.

WOW, do the PRO 900's sound different...The bass feels like it's shaking the cups now...I must really take a good listen to these headphones again..

Who ever said it....your right there was something wrong with my ears...

I see, I clean mine from time to time... although Q-Tips r not the best cleaners of ears I might look into a better cleaning method actually now that you've brought that up. In addition I'm glad you are enjoying them again!

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #5,099 of 5,992
Quote:
I see, I clean mine from time to time... although Q-Tips r not the best cleaners of ears I might look into a better cleaning method actually now that you've brought that up. In addition I'm glad you are enjoying them again!

I put drops in my ears for three days and then went to my doctor and he used the metal plunger to flush my ears...i can hear things brush up against my clothing now and running water sounds almost harsh to the ears :D...and the PRO 900's...they sound much better at high volume now...the sound is coming from everywhere.

The sibilance seems, gone? fired up black mesa source and firing the sub machine gun no longer sounds sibilant (It's a very noticeable difference and I'm not sure if this is just due to headphone burn in or ear cleaning...)...I am very impressed by the clarity and detail coming from these headphones like i said before...A bit strange in tonality with a slight metallic twang but i am liking them again.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #5,100 of 5,992
May be, well I can hear my finger brush against my clothes WITH my Dt 880s on so I guess my ears work fine [it's cuz my eyes and nose r so terriblely delapidated... SCREW U ALLERGIES]

And I'm running into amping my Dt 880s atm... still love em out my PC  [omg sparkley treble YAY] so we shall see how that goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back