Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5,101 of 5,992
Quote:
May be, well I can hear my finger brush against my clothes WITH my Dt 880s on so I guess my ears work fine [it's cuz my eyes and nose r so terriblely delapidated... SCREW U ALLERGIES]

And I'm running into amping my Dt 880s atm... still love em out my PC  [omg sparkley treble YAY] so we shall see how that goes

So....how are your DT 880's? and the 990s? do you have those yet?

I should have the chance to audition the D2000's soon and will be deciding on which to keep...The only thing i am worried about with the D2000's is that they are slower for EDM and some people say the bass is a bit bloated...I am not sure what i will be giving up since the harshness of the treble with my PRO 900's seem to be completely gone which i am guessing is from burn-in. I am on the fence because i am loving the PRO 900's all over again.

Can't wait to audition the D2000's tho.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #5,102 of 5,992
Quote:
Quote:
So....how are your DT 880's? and the 990s? do you have those yet?

I should have the chance to audition the D2000's soon and will be deciding on which to keep...The only thing i am worried about with the D2000's is that they are slower for EDM and some people say the bass is a bit bloated...I am not sure what i will be giving up since the harshness of the treble with my PRO 900's seem to be completely gone which i am guessing is from burn-in. I am on the fence because i am loving the PRO 900's all over again.

Can't wait to audition the D2000's tho.

yar burn ins help

also dt 880 till good, dt 990 not orded yet

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5,103 of 5,992
Finally got my ultrasones back! I have it with the fiio e11 and quite frankly I'm sort of dissapointed. :S maybe its something im not doing right. The bass is not as thunderous as I thought they would be!

The bass is certainly there yes. But as soon as I turn up the volume on the amp the volume gets distorted. Thats with high gain and bass boost on 2 with the volume on 5.

Maybe its just not the kind of bass I was looking for. But what surprises me the most is that my Razer headphones (cheap 40$ headphones) have more bass and "kick" more. :/

My headphones are brand new! Do you have any songs that will give me that thunderous head rattling bass that u can suggest for me!? :) i have a slight buyerse remorse at the moment

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5,104 of 5,992
Quote:
Finally got my ultrasones back! I have it with the fiio e11 and quite frankly I'm sort of dissapointed. :S maybe its something im not doing right. The bass is not as thunderous as I thought they would be!
The bass is certainly there yes. But as soon as I turn up the volume on the amp the volume gets distorted. Thats with high gain and bass boost on 2 with the volume on 5.
Maybe its just not the kind of bass I was looking for. But what surprises me the most is that my Razer headphones (cheap 40$ headphones) have more bass and "kick" more. :/
My headphones are brand new! Do you have any songs that will give me that thunderous head rattling bass that u can suggest for me!?
smily_headphones1.gif
i have a slight buyerse remorse at the moment

The PRO 900's go through a confusing burn in process, some even say the bass disappears and then comes back...and also positioning really does matter:

So burn them in, position them right, turn off bass boost, turn off any EQ you have done (Listen to them the way the drivers were engineered to be listened too)...and hopefully you will discover the bass these cans are all about. I had Fatal1ty gaming headset that I thought had similar amount of bass...but i was wrong.

Also if you want to test the mid-bass response...this song is incredible for this.

That mid-bass buzz around the 1:20 mark does the trick with these headphones.
basshead.gif

If you can I highly recommend you download the .wav of this track from beatport. It will make you want to get everything in lossless (ohhhh the clarity difference....love it)

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5,105 of 5,992
Thanks!! I'll test that song out!! Yes they are not even burnt in yet so I can't really judge them as of now! I'm sure the sound will grow on me eventually!! :)

Maybe it's my iphone/amp combo that really needs upgrading! I'm listening to the song Hoedown by Zomboy and I wish that there was more bass coming out! But like you said it's surely the burn in process that I'm going through!

I'll try a different amp someday! Maybe the zo2 v3 could help? But I've read that they don't go well with the Pro 900?

Sound quality though is superb!

As soon as I come back from work I will play the song you shared!

Thanks!!!

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5,106 of 5,992
Quote:
Thanks!! I'll test that song out!! Yes they are not even burnt in yet so I can't really judge them as of now! I'm sure the sound will grow on me eventually!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe it's my iphone/amp combo that really needs upgrading! I'm listening to the song Hoedown by Zomboy and I wish that there was more bass coming out! But like you said it's surely the burn in process that I'm going through!
I'll try a different amp someday! Maybe the zo2 v3 could help? But I've read that they don't go well with the Pro 900?
Sound quality though is superb!
As soon as I come back from work I will play the song you shared!
Thanks!!!

I am listening to that track you suggested:

^And this track you were talking about "Zomboy - Hoedown" has this nice wobble in the lower bass region that I can feel directly on my ear drums...it has an average amount of bass i would say not the best track to test for bass. Volume does this track justice...the mid-bass when it kicks in half-way through the song is controlled and punchy.

And i am not sure about your amp problems...I am running through an FiiO E10 with bass boost off and high gain on. I feel bass boost gives the bass less definition and it just bleeds into the other frequencies making it feel out of place...

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #5,107 of 5,992
I have found some flac files however this might be a bit of a newb question hehe

How do I play flac files on my computer?

How loud do you listen to them? I'm afraid of cranking up the volume on my fiio e11 since the left driver blew with my receiver :S

Once again thanks for your help sidwulf!!! :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5,108 of 5,992
Quote:
I have found some flac files however this might be a bit of a newb question hehe
How do I play flac files on my computer?
How loud do you listen to them? I'm afraid of cranking up the volume on my fiio e11 since the left driver blew with my receiver :S

Once again thanks for your help sidwulf!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

foobar2000 is what you can use to play flac or any lossless. It is a great program with a clean basic layout that i wish all programs would emulate.

And the drivers in the PRO 900 are titanium coated drivers if that makes you feel any better...any damage you do should be apparent right away...I suggest you be modest in cranking the volume tho, generally you will feel much pain way before you start doing any damage to the drivers. I am very conservative with volume level as i find high volumes uncomfortable.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #5,110 of 5,992
Quote:
I'll be carefull not too listen to them too loud!! But it's hard not to when i get into it XD
Awesome i'll go get that program!
Still stuck at work at the moment
frown.gif

Another thing...I am not sure if you noticed. I am around the 100 hour burn in mark with these headphones and i used to think they were quite sibilant and harsh in the treble but through burn in the treble seems to have rolled off. I did get my ears cleaned and alot of wax came out around the same time I noticed the sibilance was gone (It really is gone)...so it is still a mystery to me and i can't say for sure what happened. Also some tracks just have quality issues and frequency spikes in the treble and will be sibilant and harsh on any headphone...

Anyways, i'm more then happy to help :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #5,111 of 5,992
Yes i did notice that they were quite sibilant! But when i got them back today i didnt find them as sibilant as they were before! Maybe it was them at audio distributors international who burnt them in lol theyve had it for more than a week!! Maybe its just me!

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #5,112 of 5,992
Quote:
Yes i did notice that they were quite sibilant! But when i got them back today i didnt find them as sibilant as they were before! Maybe it was them at audio distributors international who burnt them in lol theyve had it for more than a week!! Maybe its just me!

Yeah it's gone, i can't believe it. A track i could barely listen to because of sibilance now has no trace of it. The sub-machine gun sound in black mesa source used to be so harsh and distorted but now is rolled off and detailed sounding. It's a dramatic difference to my ears. One could say this is due to the driver being put through it's paces and becoming more flexible and relaxed...that's the burn-in theory for you...I am not sure wax in my ears would explain sibilance...that does not make sense. Must of been a coincidence...

In another light...i am slowly realizing that these headphones do sound a bit metallic...people are right about the strange tonality they produce.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #5,113 of 5,992
Now I feel like getting my wax taken out of my ears as well!! :)

Just got home! But now my fiio e11 is dead :/ need to recharge the battery lol

aight the amp is charged, I got that song in 320kbps though but man! the quality!! that noise ur were talking about! wow! I'm liking these more and more now! :D and i like that song very much as well!
was never really into drum and bass but man this song! Been on repeat for some time now!

got the foobar2000 as well! in the search for flacs!

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5,114 of 5,992
Pro 900's are headphones you have to get used to. Once your brain "burns-in" and get used to how they sound, you'll like them even more. That was my experience when I first got them.
But keep in mind that it's not really about head rattling bass, but a mix of great quality & quantity. If you just want bass quantity, with no concern of quality and how the rest will sound, the Sony XB headphones are good for that purpose.
(Or I should say, it can be achieved with any cheap headphone). In my opinion, Pro 900 are some of the best headphones you will find for EDM. Get some Infected Mushroom in good quality, and you'll see what I'm talking about! :basshead:

For anyone with Pro 900 I suggest you try RPGWizard's Foobar2000 configuration. It sounds amazing with Pro 900.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

That mid-bass buzz around the 1:20 mark does the trick with these headphones.:basshead:

That sounds incredible! :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #5,115 of 5,992
Quote:
Now I feel like getting my wax taken out of my ears as well!! :)

Just got home! But now my fiio e11 is dead :/ need to recharge the battery lol

aight the amp is charged, I got that song in 320kbps though but man! the quality!! that noise ur were talking about! wow! I'm liking these more and more now! :D and i like that song very much as well!
was never really into drum and bass but man this song! Been on repeat for some time now!

got the foobar2000 as well! in the search for flacs!

It's actually house :). but that song is definitely my go-to track to benchmark clarity and mid-bass!

DnB is really awesome, some Electro and Dubstep on the side is nice too...There are a couple of songs that i feel fit the PRO 900's sound signature very well...They all emphasize CLARITY and MID-BASS in which the PRO 900 is a champion.

And here...we....go!
basshead.gif

Now wasn't that fun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back