Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #4,981 of 5,992
Quote:
What motherboard are you using? I am kinda interested in what an E-17 would do too the sound.

Have you compared them at length?

Haven't compared them at length. Used them without an amp on an iPod and I still don't hear much difference. The iPod has a decent output impedance and measures rather flat. The E17 had a much bigger effect on IEMs and my Ultrasone DJ1 Pro though.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4,982 of 5,992
This is actually my first high end headphones! Other ones that i had were 40$ ones! I cranked em up really loudly though but they distored a lot! But they never blew!! Yeah i think im going to be careful on the next ones i get!

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #4,983 of 5,992
Quote:
Haven't compared them at length. Used them without an amp on an iPod and I still don't hear much difference. The iPod has a decent output impedance and measures rather flat. The E17 had a much bigger effect on IEMs and my Ultrasone DJ1 Pro though.

Whoa that's interesting :O, I've been told and E11 goes well with Pro 900's.... I'm also interested in what you might find from your testing, although I've never had any improvement when using my E6 with my PC's On board sound... but then again it's and E6... 

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4,984 of 5,992
Quote:

okay okay...strange two people have such polar opinions on amping tho...I guess i might as well buy an amp to hear the difference for myself. Everything adds up in the end...and then get serious about buying all my music in lossless formats.

And just one thing..today (After listening to the pro 900 all day yesterday) I can say I am really getting to know the spectrum of it's bass response...it seems to be slowly taking over my soul...I found that when i moved the headband forward on my head there was more bass overall. I did this a few times to confirm...it works, possibly a better seal on my head, better driver positioning or something. I will probably add it to the diagram i posted when i am finished testing out placement cause i KNOW how finicky this is for some people and S-logic.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4,985 of 5,992
Some one mentioned that the "S-Logic" is very finky and some people have ears that are not entirely compatible with the "S-Logic" technology

so I'm glad your enjoying them [I wonder why I'm here now actually] Non the less,  I've heard the Denon 2000 is also nice, in addition the xb500 and D 1100 where compared, with the 500 being more bassy but the 1100 cleaner... that considered I'd be willing to bet the d2000 would be on par with the pro 900 if not better [It's in the same price range 300-400]

... that being said I wonder if I shouldn't try them to <3 [although the D AH D5000 is around 500 [$400 used]] so <3 so many bass options! 

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4,986 of 5,992
Ebay cmoy if u wanna perfect little cheap amp to go wit your pro 900. You will have allot of options too. I got my ultimate cmoy with a 6.3mm out for the headphones. I love that option. A fiio will only make the pro 900's even colder. A cmoy will add a touch of warmth and give it plenty of oomph.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #4,987 of 5,992
Mshenay I see you just recently bought a prebuilt cmoy bb. If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldv'e tried to get that wit a 6.3 out as the ultimate cmoy has way more than enuff power but cost twice as much. Did you place a bid 10% under? You can kindof offset the expensive shipping that way. They usually go for it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,989 of 5,992
I heard the cable sucks too...but it looks so thick...why does it suck?

It's too short if thats what you mean...

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #4,990 of 5,992
Quote:
i heard the original cable sux. thus, i am looking for a good replacement cable? any good recommendation? my budget is around 50. thanks
any comment on Oyaide HPC-35? or else

The cable is fine for me. A replaceable cable isn't that hard to make either. One of those threaded jacks from Qables and some Mogami 2893 will do. As for sound, most tests I've seen so far shows that the cables don't make audible differences on a headphone

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4,991 of 5,992
Quote:
The cable is fine for me. A replaceable cable isn't that hard to make either. One of those threaded jacks from Qables and some Mogami 2893 will do. As for sound, most tests I've seen so far shows that the cables don't make audible differences on a headphone

But what is wrong with the cable sound quality wise? I think that is what he was talking about. I know i wouldn't think it would make the least bit of difference.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #4,992 of 5,992
okay okay...strange two people have such polar opinions on amping tho...I guess i might as well buy an amp to hear the difference for myself. Everything adds up in the end...and then get serious about buying all my music in lossless formats.

Well, part of the different opinions is that the gears we're using are different. I've never tried an E-17 so I might even come to the same conclusion as him there.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #4,993 of 5,992
Whoa the bass....is strong...with this one...

It's so addictive...

Had so much fun listening to these today

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #4,994 of 5,992
Whoa the bass....is strong...with this one...

It's so addictive...wow...

So much fun listening to these today

Have you been trying different positions some more? The sound changes a bit depending on how you wear them. By pushing them forward I seem to get more bloated bass, and pushing them too far back they get too harsh. Keeping them "in-between" I get the best results.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #4,995 of 5,992
Quote:
Have you been trying different positions some more? The sound changes a bit depending on how you wear them. By pushing them forward I seem to get more bloated bass, and pushing them too far back they get too harsh. Keeping them "in-between" I get the best results.

By pushing the headband forward there is more bass quantity and quality... by pushing the headphone cups up and back the mids are no longer recessed. This is what i believe to be happening when i do this correct me if i am wrong:

They sound great, I think i am becoming a pro at placing these now :)...Pro 900's are a wild beast...i knew i could tame them.

I tested them with some rock today and they did very well, I am happy, vocals and mid range seemed where they should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back