Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4,966 of 5,992
Quote:
My E17 doesn't do that much to the PRO900. Maybe my onboard is just very decent.

What motherboard are you using? I am kinda interested in what an E-17 would do too the sound.

Have you compared them at length?

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #4,967 of 5,992
My E17 doesn't do that much to the PRO900. Maybe my onboard is just very decent.

I don't have E17 so I can't comment, but on my gear it's night/ day difference between my onboard (Realtek ALC892).
I'm also interested in what onboard you have. I have never in my life heard even a decent onboard sound chip.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4,968 of 5,992
Quote:
I don't have E17 so I can't comment, but on my gear it's night/ day difference between my onboard (Realtek ALC892). I'm also interested in what onboard you have.

ooooo i have the same audio codec...what are the differences you speak of? and be as honest as possible! :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #4,969 of 5,992
ooooo i have the same audio codec...what are the differences you speak of? and be as honest as possible! :)

Better control of the low end, it isn't as "bloated". Soundstage is wider and the overall sound is a lot more neutral with this amplifier. It really makes the headphones come alive I must add.
The sound DO change quite a bit between different gears.

(For anyone not planning on using Pro 900 with an amp; they will still sound good and they are indeed very effecient headphones).

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #4,970 of 5,992
Quote:
Better control of the low end, it isn't as "bloated". Soundstage is wider and the overall sound is a lot more neutral with this amplifier. The sound DO change quite a bit between different gears.

Ecellent...so does the quality of bass improve or does the quantity? Do the highs change at all, if so how?

The bass is great as it is...I am noticing how deep it goes in some songs, approaching subwoofer level on my ears sometimes but very clean...very fun at louder volumes where you can appreciate it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,971 of 5,992
Ecellent...so does the quality of bass improve or does the quantity? Do the highs change at all, if so how?

The bass is great as it is...I am noticing how deep it goes in some songs, approaching subwoofer level on my ears sometimes but very clean...very fun at louder volumes where you can appreciate it.

The bass is tighter and punchier, not as messy so I would say the quantity stays pretty much the same, but with better quality. The highs seem to open up more to me and isn't as sibilant. But the headphones are just extremely detailed, no matter what you drive them with. (I actually have to eq the highs just a little bit, otherwise they're too hot for my ears).

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #4,972 of 5,992
Quote:
The bass is tighter and punchier, not as messy so I would say the quantity stays pretty much the same, but with better quality. The highs seem to open up more to me and isn't as sibilant. But the headphones are just extremely detailed, no matter what you drive them with. (I actually have to eq the highs just a little bit, otherwise they're too hot for my ears).

The highs...they have a spark to them for sure and dare i say a slightly addictive quality...it's almost like the sound is being resonated from a super clean surface and shimmering into your ears....sparkly, crispy, detailed, a little harsh and raspy in certain situations...but I guess thats what you get for the detail and clarity. I am somewhat against messing with EQ as it seems you are forcing the hardware (The headphone) into regulating its frequencies in an unnatural way by software...Taking away from the sound signature of the headphone.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #4,973 of 5,992
I have a problem with mine :S 
Was listening to some music today, fairly loud but I wasn't hearing any distortion. I've been listening to them at the same volume since I got them on tuesday. Now all of a sudden the left speaker stopped. But if I move the headphones around a bit it'll come back on. Changed cable to see if it was my cable that was faulty. Same thing with the other cable. Then i changed back to the other cable that I had before and now I get music from both sides however the left speaker sounds ''blown''. 

The two last songs I was playing was Bass Cannon from Plux Pavillion and that one was pretty loud, the second was Tommy's Theme - Noisia and that's where the problem occured. 

Did I blow my headphones by playing them too loud? :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #4,974 of 5,992
Quote:
I have a problem with mine :S 
Was listening to some music today, fairly loud but I wasn't hearing any distortion. I've been listening to them at the same volume since I got them on tuesday. Now all of a sudden the left speaker stopped. But if I move the headphones around a bit it'll come back on. Changed cable to see if it was my cable that was faulty. Same thing with the other cable. Then i changed back to the other cable that I had before and now I get music from both sides however the left speaker sounds ''blown''. 

The two last songs I was playing was Bass Cannon from Plux Pavillion and that one was pretty loud, the second was Tommy's Theme - Noisia and that's where the problem occured. 

Did I blow my headphones by playing them too loud? :frowning2:

that would suck if u did, I'm getting into Flux my self [sounds AWESOME on my Xb700 suckers Getting a cMoy BB so my Dub Step will be INSANE... although I still need something with mids] 

I suppose this is unrealted, but on the Electro House bored today I was told the dt 880 is really great for well Eletrco EDM and what not [espically when u amp it] so... that would be awesome if the dt 880 could give me the Mid bass I'm missing with the Xb700, in addition I hear alot of... well Fickality about the Pro 900 [an easy love or hate] that being said I'm glad I didnt get them... they sound nice but they sound well FICKLE... let's hope the dt 880 pulls through <3 then its xb 1000 for me :D

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #4,978 of 5,992
Quote:
Yeah im a bit bummed out :/ was so excited when i got them! Could it be because i hooked em up on my yamaha receiver thru my computer?

Maybe I dunno... I'd hope your didn't blow out $300 head phones as easily as it appears u did... what's the OHMS on them and it's still possible, although every time I've blown a pair of head phones out [twice] they where #1 cheap and #2 it was a very LOUD noise and then no noise... 

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,980 of 5,992
Quote:
I hope so too!!! Maybe its just a manifactures defect! I did crank the bass on my reciever on max! Then i cranked it up. Thing is that i wasnt hearing any distortion! They are 40ohm

Well have you ever had any issues with other 40 ohm head phones before? And as a rule of thump I usually start on low then work my way to higher volumes xD, then again I never listen to music very loudly... [I should really find out the db of the music I usually listen to....] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back