Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4,936 of 5,992
Hello all!
I'm very interested in buying there cans however when shopping around for something I always get mixed up on what to buy!
Initially I was sold with the Ultrasone Pro 900's! I'm a basshead and I've read that these have legendary bass!
I listen mainly to dubstep, rap, funk and some dance music! I've read most of this thread but the reason I'm asking is because I see a lot of people saying that the sony xb1000 are better :S
I have no experience in high end earphones, the ones that I'm using at the moment are cheap 40$ Razer earphones.
So my question is! Should I go for the Pro 900's? Or the Sony Xb1000? 

Thank you very much for your time! :)

Mikael

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #4,937 of 5,992
I've demo'd both and I can say that unfortunately, you listen to music that crosses divides. The XB1000's have absolutely dominating sub-bass with what I consider to be clear but recessed mids and very recessed highs. The Ultrasone PRO 900s are much more "V" shaped in sound curve, with in-your-face midbass, slightly recessed mids (I find them clearer than XB1000s) and extremely bright highs bordering on the fatiguing when volume is way up.

Dubstep tends to be all about the sub-bass, and only 2 things have ever given me more bass than I can handle when it comes to Dubstep. The XB1000s, and my  Super.Fi 5EB's  reshelled by Unique Melody. On both of these, the bass literally starts uncomfortably rattling my ear drums before I get the mids where I want them (I have to EQ down the bass). If your end game is sub bass, then the XB1000s *will* be better than the 900s.

For rap, funk, and dance music, I love my PRO900s. the mid-bass common in those genres is just absolutely slamming on my Valhalla amp. The brights actually became much more linear and not nearly as fatiguing after amping, but I think that's because the amount of bass the cans were producing increased.

I love chill-step, rap, funk, and all sorts of Jazz, and for those, the mid-bass effect of the PRO900s makes them my main can. Sometimes, when playing Dubstep I wish I had a pair of XB1000s to use (the XB1000's I used were borrowed from a friend in a trade for a month), as nothing was able to put out such huge amounts of bass with the exception of my IEMs. But for 60% of my music listening, the PRO900s just suit me. The XB1000's would only only be preferred maybe 5-10% of my listening time. If I could have it all I would, and may one day, but now is not the time, so the PRO900s win for me :)

So for what you listed, make percentages of how much you listen to each:

Dubstep: XB1000s
All the others: PRO 900s.

Off hand I would recommend the PRO 900s, but if Dubstep alone is like 80% of your music listening, then you should definitely go with the XB1000s.

You can actually see what I'm saying pretty clearly in the frequency response graphs of the two headphones:

Notice the nearly 20dB difference in sub-bass levels of the XB700's and how that range is so much louder than the rest of the headphone's reproduction area. The XB1000's are very similar (slightly more linear in reproduction).

That may have just been confusing above, but I hope it helped you :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #4,938 of 5,992
Thank you very much for that awesome reply!! :D

I listen to some dubstep but it's not what I mainly listen to! I do like the bass though so if the Pro 900's still give me enough bass for dubstep I'll be content with that! I've been wanting the Pro 900's since I saw someone review it saying how awesome the bass was! 

In fact I listen mostly to Skrillex and I don't know if his music can actually be called dubstep since there are some elements of dubstep in his songs. Other than that some house music, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Victor Wooten, might use them for pc gaming as well! 

You have helped my very much! I think I have made my decision and I will get the Pro 900's :D I know I wont be disappointed! 

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #4,939 of 5,992
Quote:

As an owner of both the Pro 900 and D2000 (which are said to be one of the more allround headphones there are), I do have to mention how incredibly allround the Pro 900's are as well. There are some music that doesn't really fit them, but for most music, including rock, I actually like the Pro 900's.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4,940 of 5,992
Think I've been spoilt by the revealing sound of my floorstanders Q500 and the impact of my new paradigm 15" sub to notice the great bass my pro900s put out any more. I have changed from xonar st to arcam rpac since I last listened though. Is the rpac meant to be light on the bassy side of things or am I spoilt by the monster sub/eq of the xonar surround stuff.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #4,941 of 5,992
Quote:

Off hand I would recommend the PRO 900s, but if Dubstep alone is like 80% of your music listening, then you should definitely go with the XB1000s.

You can actually see what I'm saying pretty clearly in the frequency response graphs of the two headphones:

Notice the nearly 20dB difference in sub-bass levels of the XB700's and how that range is so much louder than the rest of the headphone's reproduction area. The XB1000's are very similar (slightly more linear in reproduction).

That may have just been confusing above, but I hope it helped you :)

<.<

CRAP MUFFINS man I'm so mad xD

SO I have the XB 700 my source is a Zune HD and my amp a Fiio E6... so I need to UPGRADE, and my question is how does XB 700 compare with XB 1000, I've heard the 1000 is MEGA Sub pass and lacks the impact of the 700's 

My plan is to Pair a Cowon Z2 with [Fiio E11 or E17] with the Xb 1000 or Ultrasone Pro 900, The Sony is CHeaper by about $60 and my budget of $500 is already maxed out with The amp and Source [I can go a little higher but I need to be 100% sure if i do]

Then there is sound, I like some SICK Sub Impact and the 700 are not doing it for me... [could be my crappy amp Dac and Source]  for example, when listening to Liquid Stranger, or Digital Mystiks [Earth A Run Red] or even Skream [Show Me] the 700's r insane no bleeding on them either
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuvP17UKiXI

BUT when listening to Utah Jazz or more hard Core Liquid DnB the 700's dont have the impact or the feel like I want, the impact! A good example is this track... it has good parts and equally bad...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7x51zWOBBs

So what I'd like is the like half impact of Skreams Sub Drop in even deeper bass smoother more natrual bass, 

And of course all my problems might be solved with a better amp and Source >.>, so I'll proably get my Z2 and E17 first... and see how they work with the XB 700 

Well I did some more reading, 1000's have more Bass presence peroid, but 900 has more Mid Clarity and 1000 has more Sub clarity AND 900 does EVERYTHING elese [that's not sub bass] better than Xb 1000 xD. SO yea the 900's are better headphones but I'm looking for deep tight bass so who cars about everything elese :3

I still think it's best to buy an Amp first then headphones... the E11 will suit this purchase well [and save me some money] 

Still though options options! Maybe one day I'll join you guys here :3 the 900's sound nice for Nu Jazz :D

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4,942 of 5,992
Just ordered them today! Should arrive in a few days!

I'll report back when I've tried them!

I'm going to plug it on my Iphone 4 so what amp should I be getting? I have 100$ budget! I've heard of the Fiio e11 and the Fiio e17.

Is there a big difference between the two or should I be ok with the fiio e11?

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #4,943 of 5,992
Quote:
Just ordered them today! Should arrive in a few days!

I'll report back when I've tried them!

I'm going to plug it on my Iphone 4 so what amp should I be getting? I have 100$ budget! I've heard of the Fiio e11 and the Fiio e17.

Is there a big difference between the two or should I be ok with the fiio e11?

Thanks!

Try a cmoy. One of a kind portable amp. Better results. Just as cheap if not cheaper. Dont have to worry about fakes.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #4,944 of 5,992
Quote:
 Try a cmoy. One of a kind portable amp. Better results. Just as cheap if not cheaper. Dont have to worry about fakes.

Oh nice, I'm actually possibly going to buy the Ultrasone Pro 900 actually! I found a inexpensive used Hfi Man 601 here that can allow me to get the 900's, and heck if I can get a cheaper amp that would be good to ! 

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4,945 of 5,992
SO yea the 900's are better headphones but I'm looking for deep tight bass so who cars about everything elese :3

The D7000 is your best friend. They best the Pro 900 in everything but mid bass and quickness.

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4,946 of 5,992
Quote:
The D7000 is your best friend. They best the Pro 900 in everything but mid bass and quickness.

IM POOR :[ 

yea definalty poor :3, still though it's a shame to hear the 900 is recessed in mids, thats exactly how the XB700's are, the detail in mids is rather poor although with a fiio e6 they r very forward... hopefully e11 will remedy that !

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #4,948 of 5,992
Quote:
 The mids are recessed. But very well detailed.

Yea I'm sure they are but man I'm so broke! I'll have to be content with my XB 700 and switch between E11 and fiio E6 for Sub and Mid bass boosts xD, still though... I'll die by the XB 700 Modded... smply because Sony pourposefully suffocates the drivers in the XB series for more quanity and less quality... the mod reverses that so :3 it's nice

Still I'll get them Ultrasones one day... they are some seriosuly sexy cans!

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4,949 of 5,992
Quote:
This, so much this^^

I bought the pro 900s after reading 100 pages of this thread practically salivating due to my love (and almost exclusive listening) of electronic music-trance, electro, house, DnB. It's been about 9 months now and while they sound good, I just don't see the hype these are getting. Maybe it's a combo of my source (mostly 320kbps, FLAC is hard to come by for me) and my amp (fiio e7/e9 combo) but I'm looking for more out of these cans. 

Would an upgrade in amp/dac significantly improve performance?

For what you're looking for, I doubt it. 

Try messing with EQ or different headphones, I'd like to try the XB1000s myself.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4,950 of 5,992
Quote:

For what you're looking for, I doubt it. 

Try messing with EQ or different headphones, I'd like to try the XB1000s myself.

*face palm* tell me about it, I'm still debating... should I try the XB 1000's or make the smart move and get some Byer Dt 880's... Who know's what will happen when the time comes for me to finalyze my decsion!

How are the pro 900's with Nu: Jazz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back