Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4,906 of 5,992
I am a R&B and Pop listener. I has been making decisions between pro 900, HD 598 and Q 701 for over two days.
Finally, I make up my mind and order pro 900 with fiio e17. It is about 60 dollars more than HD598 and Q 701 (excluded tax).
More than 598 and 701, that extra 60 bucks come with hard case, extra ear pad and additional coiled cable. I think those extra goodies worth more than 60 dollars.
In additional, the pro 900 is a closed headphones which mean I can bring it to the public without bothering anyone.
Hopefully, I made a correct choice.

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #4,909 of 5,992
Quote:
I am a R&B and Pop listener. I has been making decisions between pro 900, HD 598 and Q 701 for over two days.
Finally, I make up my mind and order pro 900 with fiio e17. It is about 60 dollars more than HD598 and Q 701 (excluded tax).
More than 598 and 701, that extra 60 bucks come with hard case, extra ear pad and additional coiled cable. I think those extra goodies worth more than 60 dollars.
In additional, the pro 900 is a closed headphones which mean I can bring it to the public without bothering anyone.

OH no - maybe you could try the Q701s as well.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #4,910 of 5,992
@ Juicy Kong.... you did not make a mistake with the Pro 900's they are perfectly voiced for listening to pop and r&b.... they have this ridiculously think, bassy sound signature that is absolutely addictive.... as they burn in or break in or mature.... they open up to the higher frequencies too..... they are amazing headphones..... Besides the Audio Technica Pro700MKII I cannot think of another headphone with such a thick, hard hitting bass... difference is the AT's are muffled through the rest of the spectrum where the Pro900's are not.

As far as the LOD.... yes it makes a difference.... I am not a cable believer by any stretch or a 31 flavors guy when it comes to amps.... but directly out of the headphone jack the soundstage on the iPod is crowded, the lead vocals invariably feel like they are either inside your head or standing an inch from your nose..... I use the Fiio L3 because it's OCC copper as opposed to the L9 which is OFC...... But the L9 is the side exiting one and I honestly didn't really notice any difference between the two. Both are fine though.... The difference out of the LOD is remarkable through your amp.... it's like the lead vocals (or whatever is potted up the highest during the recording) takes about 10 steps back so you can experience the full song.... But there is no need to go spend $100 on some fancy LOD unless you want it to look pretty.

Yeah if your listening to pop and r&B out of an iPod with an amp... the Pro900 is amazing.... I prefer it to my Audeze and Hifiman for my portable setup..... it is not as technically amazing.... but for a music lover... its just super fun... super fun to listen to music with.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #4,911 of 5,992
Quote:

I would try the 598s. I thought I wouldn't like them after the 900s but now I am considering ditching my 900s because I like the 598s so much. They are much easier to listen to in terms of sound and comfort. And with an amp their bass is very nice. I prefer the bass even to the 900s because it doesn't overpower everything else yet is punchy nonetheless. I would say these are the perfect all around fun headphone. I've tried some expensive headphones but I don't think I would want to lose the comfort and soundstage of the sennheisers, especially when taking price into account.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #4,912 of 5,992
The Pro 900 have arrived! I can't wait to get home from work to try them out. :D

-EDIT: Just got home, unboxed the headphones and plugged them into my PA2V2 -> Lexicon Alpha -> PC chain and boy, I didn't expect this!

The first thing I did was set foobar2000's 20hz-160hz EQ back from +2db to +0db. The way the bass hits you in the head is tremendous.

The isolation is great as well, fits my tiny ears very well although people with bigger ears might have some trouble with these. The cans themselves are much smaller than most full-size headphones, I like that.

Time to listen to stuff while they burn-in. :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4,913 of 5,992
Got mine 3 days ago. After about 15 hours burning, it really impressed me. it's more than bass~its punchy!!
First, i start with adele's album. Its performance is smooth and vocal is clear as well, but it does not make it "signiture"?! so i've change to something more "bassy". I listen to Michael Jackson's beat it, smooth criminal and Billie jean. I am in love with this headphones!! It's Punchy , deep and superb!! (i don't know wt more words i can use to describe the bass) Its 2X better than my friend's beats pro!!
I am highly appeciated and reccommend this headphones.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #4,914 of 5,992
Still burning in mine, not planning to Kees' mod them yet. 

I like every minute of it. I tried listening with a PA2V2 and Fred_fred_2004's 3-channel cMoy and directly out of an iPhone. They sound great either way. 

Listening to trance with these is like an earthquake in your head. \o/

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #4,917 of 5,992
I was wondering.. have anybody used these on a long flight/train-ride?

I noticed that in order to get the right sound out of these, I have to pull the cans slightly towards the back of my head which makes it impossible to rotate my head left or right while it's resting on a pillow/chair. What are your experiences/tips?

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,918 of 5,992
Quote:
I was wondering.. have anybody used these on a long flight/train-ride?

I noticed that in order to get the right sound out of these, I have to pull the cans slightly towards the back of my head which makes it impossible to rotate my head left or right while it's resting on a pillow/chair. What are your experiences/tips?

I think they would work fine on a train, but i don't really recommend using them on the plane. I tried, but the engine noise drowns out a lot of the bass. If you have iems, those would be better suited for planes imo.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4,919 of 5,992
I own the 900s since early this year. I like them but cant call them perfect or lovely. I think it has to do with my Asus Essense ST card (want a amp now).

Sub-genres like progressive Trance, progressive House, Breaks, Chillout, Ambient, Nu Disco, Tech or Deep House (low BPM's songs with less instrumentals) sound pretty clear with good detail.
However when it comes to Uplift Trance, Electro House, Hardstyle or Techno (songs with faster BPM's and richer/filler/louder instrumentals) sound like crap. They seem too aggressive, high treble, metallic, way too loudy. It's simply unpleasant listening to this kind of genres. I mostly listen to the ones called above with low bpm's either way.

Anyway I might be treble sensitive or something but I think its the card. I read the Essence has a headphone impedance of 10ohm while the PRO900 prefers 4ohm or less of output impedance for driving them optimally. So I'm looking for a quality desktop amp while the Essence will be used as DAC. Like I said I mostly listen low bpm EDM but still want to tame the aggressive highs which occur in other sub-genres. I just want the sound to be warmer, clearer or whatever terms people use.

I'm thinking of the Asgard because of the low output impedance (1ohm) which should be great for the 900s right? Or are there more important specs to check? My budget is lets say around 300 euro. Oh I also use the Audioengine A5+ speakers for exclusive gaming which will go together with the Essence (Dolby enabled). How am I supposed to switch over to the 900s?

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4,920 of 5,992
I think the harder stuff is usually recorded/mastered badly. The Pro 900 is pretty detailed and will sound like crap on a badly mastered song. I'm sure a good amp will make your good songs sound better, but it won't help you on the crap ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back