- 2,940 Posts. Joined 3/2008
- Location: Euroland
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones! Last post on 10/5/12 at 2:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50] Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- which Ultrasones for me? Last post on 6/11/11 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic ear cup cushions on Ultrasone? Last post on 11/18/10 at 9:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- ultrasone 780 vs ultrasone 900 Last post on 11/18/10 at 2:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Owned this amp for just over a year and it is wonderful for the price. FiiO is one of the few companies that openly lists all of their specs to the public. I reason I bought this was primarily to...
The Bravo V2 is an attractive and inexpensive "pseudo-tube/hybrid" amp that is easily accessible to beginner DIYers if modifications are desired (which they definitely are as I will expand on...
Introduction This is a review of the Sennheirser HD 202 headphone. At the time of the review, the cans were at eleven months of near-continuous use. Bear with me, as this is only my second...
The Sony MDR-EX1000 is truly a legendary IEM but in a world of its own. Not even the latest XBA, or XBA hybrid Z series could rival its intimidating large single-dynamic driver setup. (my EX1000...
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
How bright is an ultrasone pro 900? - Page 5post #61 of 2051/5/09 at 12:03amWhat modding are you doing to them Kees?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 2051/5/09 at 5:52ampost #63 of 2051/5/09 at 6:16am
I am trying out the effect of closing more of the holes in the outer rim of the metal driver enclosure with tape or felt.
First off I covered all holes (the three that were not covered yet) with electric tape.
Now I have only the middle one covered with felt and I like it so far, but I'm not done yet.
I did a similar mod in the past with the 2500 that had remarkable results. Sticking self adhesive felt on the metal (even without covering any holes) brought out the midrange a bit and took the edge of the highs.post #64 of 2051/5/09 at 11:16ampost #65 of 2051/5/09 at 1:06pmQuote:Sorry Kees, I didn't express myself correctly and I admit that I didn't check your profile.
Now, it's a little bit disturbing if your Rudistor amps didn't have a good synergy with the Ed.9 because I'm currently raising money to purchase the RPX-33 eventually.
In the past months I have tried several desktop and portable amps and I agree with you that sometimes the Ed.9 can sound dark or veiled. Thank god, recently I have finally purchase an amp that has a great synergy with them in the name of the RSA Mustang P-51.
With the RSA Mustang amp, to my ears, the Ed.9 have the same amount of details and clarity as the AKG 701 but with a better bass.
Theres a thread referencing the different amps used with the edition 9 here.post #66 of 2051/6/09 at 12:11ampost #67 of 2051/6/09 at 12:15amQuote:I don't think you should worry about that, pretty much all the owners of the rpx 33 and ed9 love the combination including myself and I dont find them veiled either.
Patrickpost #68 of 2051/6/09 at 12:53am@vvanrij
You are absolutely right about MA speakers. The point I was trying to make is, the vast amount of details with the Pro 900 notwithstanding, loudspeakers present these details within a soundstage while headphones present them within a headstage. IMHO the Pro 900 is closer than other headphones I tried but not there yet. I am also interested in Stax as well. May I ask, how would you compare the headstage presentation of your Stax and Pro 900 ?
Just got myself the Sony PFR-V1 Personal Field Speaker System which was said to have fine headstage presenation. These are light weighted and has less of an issue with my medical condition. Preliminary audition suggest that they could not overthrown the Pro 900 though.post #69 of 2051/6/09 at 2:53amI understand what you were trying to say now Greeni, and I absolutely agree with you. Placement keeps being the main issue for me with headphones, its just weird when listening to some Don McLean music to hear a guitar playing on the far right, en then hearing him sing like he is to me left and 3 stories up :|. The Stax I currently have is very accurate, but doesn't add any of its 'own' soundstage to the sound. For instance, on a K701 I always have a very big soundstage, no matter what cd I listen to. With the SR-X I actually hear that some music like Enya has enormous soundstage's, while other music like some piano music from chopin, you are up-close and personal.post #70 of 2051/6/09 at 6:22pm
I modded some more and ended up with the following final mod.
I used pieces of self adhesive felt, 2.5 cm diameter, 3mm thick.
One piece I stuck on the front of the metal driver cover, covering the middle hole on the outer rim.
Next I removed the driver/cover. You have to unscrew ONLY the four screws in the outer rim. The other three are holding the driver on the metal cover.
The screws are VERY tight. Make shure your screwdriver is the right size or you'll destroy the head of the screws.
On the inside of the cup I glued another felt disc. It is out of the center to avoid blocking the back of the driver (which gives a very wrong effect).
Oh, and sorry about my usual sub-par, barely recognisable pics. I hope they are enough to illustrate what I did. If in doubt, just ask.
On top of that I added a thin layer of cotton wool (2mm thick, don't stuff it!)
Put everything back together.
Make shure all screws are tight!!!! A loose screw distorts the sound in a big way!
The effect of this mod is:
Impactfull, super detailed and deep. No bloat, not even a hint of bloating, but BIG.
It leaves the midrange completetely undisturbed
Midrange slightly more forward. Warmer. The plastic edge is gone completetely without any loss of detail.
Highs are smooth. Less prone to sibilance and less metalic. Still very much present.
The whole sound signature is slightly more forward.
They now do exactly what I had expected from the ED9.
The ED9 was a bit of a disapointment to me I find these MUCH more to my taste.
And the bass is the best ever. If you love bass you have to love this.
If you have PRO900, don't believe me but try it. The mod is easy and completely reversible.
Edited by Kees - 5/23/10 at 10:04pmpost #71 of 2051/6/09 at 7:10pmpost #72 of 2051/6/09 at 8:58pmpost #73 of 2051/7/09 at 4:59amHmm, I'm definetly going to try that Kees. The cotton wool is just from the Albert Heijn? Where did you get those other felts? Any website or store you got them (praxis/ikea?) Also the cotton wool is just laying on there, kept in their place by putting the driver-covers back in place? And what is the reason for the second piece of felt?post #74 of 2051/7/09 at 6:18amQuote:Hmm, I'm definetly going to try that Kees. The cotton wool is just from the Albert Heijn?Quote:Where did you get those other felts? Any website or store you got them (praxis/ikea?)Quote:Also the cotton wool is just laying on there, kept in their place by putting the driver-covers back in place?
If you combine two different materials (closely, like glueing them together) the natural vibration of one will be canceled by the other, thus preventing exagerated frequency areas. A little piece is enough. If you line the whole cup you will dampen almost all vibration and that will make you loose bass (most of it).
The added mass adds definition to the bass. Any hollowness disapears because the cup stops vibrating quicker when the signal stops, it does not resonate so much any more.
The same does the cotton wool. It prevents any echoing in the cup, thus increasing detail.
My theory is that it is the same principle that makes the bass of the L3000 so good. The cups are made of two materials: leather over wood.....
The theory is just my own explanation. Trial and error brought the results.post #75 of 2051/7/09 at 6:21am
I guess they were just not for me.
- How bright is an ultrasone pro 900?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › What are head-fi members views on apt-x lossless codec (over... 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Canadian Head-Fi'ers counting 2 minutes ago
- › LPs vs Cd 2 minutes ago
- › Stuff 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd C-2 Class A Preamp & Headphone amp - Like New 4 minutes ago
- › DNA vs Inspiration 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2 by Zeejet
- › Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones by serman005
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by stuartfang
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3